ob ID: 21551
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
Duration: One year (renewable based on availability of funds and satisfactory performance).
- The Administration and Finance Associate will be responsible for providing functional leadership in Finance and ensures effective functioning of financial and administrative operations and systems in support of the Spotlight project.
- You will report directly to the International Operations Manager.
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- In a global organization, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will play a vital role in ensuring the smooth, efficient and effective administrative and financial support for the implementation of the new multi-UN agency EU-UN Spotlight Initiative project for UNFPA Nigeria.
- The Spotlight Initiative is a new program set at addressing the SRHR needs of women and girls survivors or those at risk of gender based violence and harmful practices.
- In collaboration with UNFPA SRHR and Gender/GBV units, Government counterparts, sister UN agencies and other partners, the project will work across various thematic areas for a comprehensive response to ending GBV and harmful practices.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
Ensuring an effective financial recording and reporting system for the spotlight Project:
- Ensuring an effective financial recording and reporting system, internal control and audit follow-up and processes financial transactions in an accurate and timely way;
- Assisting in the formulation of Spotlight project budgets;
- Establishing and maintains contacts with government counterparts and implementing partners to ensure an effective and efficient collaboration;
- Facilitating the conduct of HACT audits and ensures the development and implementation of follow-up actions;
- Working closely with Programme and Project staff providing financial monitoring and analysis of projects and advising managers on expenditure trends and implementation rates.
- Supporting the monitoring of programme financial performance for all project funds by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators/results. Detects potential over-under expenditure problems and suggests remedial action;
- Facilitating all payment requests, financial record-keeping and preparation of financial reports required in line with HACT financial rules and procedures;
- Developing tools and mechanisms for effective monitoring of project budgets, coordinates compilation of financial data and provides accurate and up-dated financial information to UNFPA on a regular basis;
- Integrating financial policies and procedures, particularly relating to National Execution (NEX), into standard operational procedures, and providing guidance and training to staff and project managers accordingly;
Provide logistical and technical support to UNFPA programme staff and implementing partners in Programme Administrative Management:
- Providing quality services in administration, procurement, communication and management of office equipment and infrastructure to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures;
- Taking a client-oriented results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines in service of the Country Programme
- Providing logistical and technical support to UNFPA programme staff and implementing partners in Programme Financial Management;
- Assisting in the organization of training activities, ensuring logistical and, where applicable, financial arrangements;
- Monitoring the dashboard to ensure that any items requiring corrections are worked on a timely basis and serves as the focal point for completion of integrated accountability checklist.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or Higher National Diploma in Public Administration, Accounting, Business, Economics, or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in the same functional area;
- Knowledge of UN Operational Rules and Regulations; direct working experience applying and handling UN Operational rules and regulations would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in current MS Office software applications and other accounting package is essential. Familiarity with ATLAS will be an asset.
- Ability to work under pressure and excellent and human relation skills;
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.