The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Number: 501334
Duration: 11.5 Months
Background/Purpose of Assignment
- UNICEF Nigeria supports Polio Eradication activities by providing leadership role in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of communication and social mobilization component of the programme in close coordination with key partners.
- The UNICEF program has established Volunteer Community Mobilization (VCM) Network in the high polio priority states in Norther Nigeria, mainly to mobilize communities to vaccinate for polio as well as to improve routine immunization coverage and utilization.
- UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of an experienced Data Consultant who will be responsible for providing the required support to the state polio communication team and state Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), where exists.
Programme ID & Specific Project Involved:
- IR 1, Outcome 6: Social and behavior change to support polio eradication in Nigeria
- The data consultant will work under the overall guidance of the State Communications Team Lead and Polio Data Communication Specialist, accountable for supporting social data analysis and in particular to strengthen areas related to immunization & social data utilization and application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and eradicate polio in Nigeria within the country programme and linked to the Emergency Operation Centre working group priorities.
- The incumbent will support the management of the VCM network database and undertake weekly analysis of the data to inform planning and key reporting documents.
- The Consultant will be expected to travel within the State (to assigned states, if any), to conduct regular data quality audits, to support and review functional status of phones and to provide on-sight support in keeping the register and reporting tools.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Interact with the state Emergency Operation Centre and state communication working group, WHO Data Officers, STOP Teams, SIA Teams, and UNICEF's Social Mobilization consultants/personnel for in-depth collection and analysis of polio and routine immunization data.
- Manage smartphone reporting, trouble shooting, download data and conduct period data analysis including fortnightly/monthly performance management data, Activity performance monitoring data, polio campaign data, in-between round activity data, routine immunization data etc.,
- Conduct quality checks on the data, perform analysis of implementation progress across different initiatives (by pulling reports and analyzing trends and progress made), support in designing decision-making tools for State Communications Team Lead/EOC (using the database and platform to create data visualizations), and maintaining communication of achievement (or lack thereof) with the Senior Staff.
- Conduct regular field based data quality reviews, guide field teams in maintaining data registers and compilation registers
- Working closely with State Communications Team Lead, the data consultant to support the state EOC in data collation, analysis and preparation of regular presentations, that could include, efficient collection and analysis of routine polio pre-campaign and campaign performance data; preparation and support in delivery of routine Polio EOC dashboard and other required reports; Preparation and delivery of specific analyses and reports requested by the State EOC and its strategy, operations and communications committees as required.
- Link social mobilization and EPI data with the presence of WPV/CVDPV cases.
- Provide regular information, data, and specific analyses/reports to the National data team
- Identifying data related capacity needs and facilitate training of the state team.
- Support implementation and oversight of research activities, for example, Harvard Polling, periodic studies etc., and take advantage of the findings of these studies to refine the social data analysis for the assigned state.
- End Product: (e.g. final report, article, document etc.)
- Consultant must submit a detailed work plan to his/her supervisor at the beginning of the contract period for the entire contract period.
- Supervisors will have the flexibility to review with the Consultant as needed on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- A monthly progress report should be provided by each Consultant to their supervisor for payment of Consultants fees.
- A detailed assignment report will be required at the end of the current contract period.
- Monthly workplan and narrative report
- Submit monthly data report using templates as per the SOPs, for example weekly birth tracking data by every Saturday of the Week
- Submit updated monthly dashboard for all staff members
- Conduct 5 within state data review visits
- Submit monthly individual activity report
- Submit monthly update of functionality of state reporting devices
- Support state team and EOC with all ad hoc data requests
- Prepare feedback and relevant data related action plan to be presented at the monthly state team internal meeting
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Rrequired
- Advanced university Degree in Social/Behavioural Sciences, Economics, Statistics, International Development, Public Policy, with special focus or experience in data management and monitoring and evaluation, epidemiology, public health or other related field, or First University degree with three additional years of related work experience.
- Minimum five years of progressive work experience in data management, monitoring, and evaluation activities in developing countries, with practical experience in data supervision, performance management skills/experience, skills in handling large datasets.
- Fluency in English Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
Technical Knowledge (Must):
- Strong analytical background and experience, including analysis and triangulation of qualitative and quantitative data, primary and secondary datasets;
- Excellent skills in using different date management and presentation software (Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint Presentations, etc.,). Experience with web-based applications is desired.
- Willingness to learn new analytical skills and reporting tools
- Skills in using different data visualization tools is a plus
- Knowledge of GIS software, and open data kit or any other relevant technology platforms for data collection and analysis.
- Good understanding of Polio or routine immunization programmes
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of the local language of the duty station an asset.
- Knowledge of United Nations or other international organizations.
Job Number: 501351
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
In order to support generating information for planning the scale up of child protection services, and ensuring that the required budgets are integrated into the medium term expenditure framework, UNICEF is seeking to hire an international TA to lead the programe planning, recruitment of expert consultancy firm or individual consultants, programme monitoring and implementation of activities including the financial programme management for the completion of the analysis of the budget allocation, costing of the services and economic burden of child abuse and the development of budgetary guidelines.
Specific Project Objectives to Which the Position is Related:
- Output 36: By 2017, the capacity of key institutions and civil society is strengthened to monitor and report violence against children especially in humanitarian context and implement gender and age-appropriate prevention and response measures in at least three states.
- Output 39: By 2017, the capacity to plan and manage social welfare workforce, finance and gender-/age-appropriate services of child protection systems to prevent and respond to violence, abuse, exploitation and neglect strengthened at Federal, State and Local Government Area level
Major Tasks to Be Accomplished
- Analysis of current budget allocation to child protection conducted by expert consultancy firm/individual consultants validated and launched
- Costing of the child protection services conducted by expert consultancy firm/individual consultants validated and launched
- Analysis of the economic burden of violence against children conducted by expert consultancy firm/individual consultants validated and launched
- Budgetary guidelines developed by the consultancy firm/individual consultants to fund the child protection services validated and launched
- DCTs and direct payments to partners timely submitted, processed and liquidated
- Payments to the consultancy firm/individual expert consultants timely processed
- 7th Learning Group Meeting on Budgeting and funding the child protection system organized
- 2016 advocacy strategy developed and key high level advocacy meetings conducted
- Draft child protection budget lines available for 2018s state budget allocation
Qualifications or Specialization Knowledge/Experience Required
- Advanced university Degree in Social Science, Economic Sciences, Public Finances or related field (Masters or equivalent level)
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional work experience with projects related to programme management
- Understanding of the international framework for child protection
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Strong advocacy skills
- Strong written skills
- Fluency in English
- Experience in the field of child protection programming advocating for increased budgeting and financing an asset
- Abreast with latest development in the field of public finances and budgeting an asset
- Experience with UNICEF is desirable
- Experience working with government desirable
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- The position is based in Abuja, with regular travel to the focus States
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish.
- Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.