Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Nigeria(MC-N). This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & Development; employee engagement coordination; country wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc).
General Position Summary
The HR Officer will work alongside members of the HR Department will be responsible for ensuring adherence of HR policies and procedures, recruitment is according to Recruiting Guidelines as well championing national hiring and national & expatriate onboarding process. S/he will also work with the HR Manager and HR team to support the Human Resource function across MC-N including employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and HR project management for all Rural Resilience program office locations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Human Resources Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the HR Director in successful implementation, adherence, and common understanding of National Staff Handbook and other HR Policies in all MC-N Offices
- Support the HR Director to ensure that controls are put in place to allow for transparent and unbiased HR processes and systems
- Ensure right person is put in right place and work closely with hiring managers and Talent Acquisition Officer to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills for all positions in Rural Resilience locations
- Support in finalizing negotiations and prepare documentations including renumeration package attached to offers for new hires in accordance with MCN guideline for assigned MC offices in close coordination with HR Director or designee.
- Perform all required reference, background, and documentation checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers for assigned MC offices.
- Screen, refer, and maintain a talent pool of external and internal candidates for additional interviews as applicable for assigned MC offices.
- Ensure effective implementation of onboarding mechanism in close coordination with Talent Acquisition Officer and ensure all team members receive complete orientation within 15 days of hire in assigned MC offices.
- Ensure pre-hire new hire starter pack is ready and administer the new hire documentation process including filling of all signed MC-N paperwork
- Monitor and ensure completion of all MC Mandatory onboarding and Safeguarding courses with one week of hire and full use of assigned MC offices.
- Be responsible for update and upkeep of personnel files for team members working in all MC-N locations as per Mercy Corps defined protocols and MC-N HR practices.
- Work alongside Talent Acquisition Officer to ensure all job files are created and updated as per Mercy Corps defined protocols and MC-N HR practices.
- Assist the HR lead in administration of Medical and Accidental Insurance benefits for all MC-N team members in assigned office
- Ensure that National Staffs issued ID cards are aligned with their employment contracts and renewed on a timely basis for team members in assigned office
- Be responsible to update and upkeep the Human Resources Database. Follow up with field offices for monthly staff database if required and consolidate into main database. Maintain appropriate records and ensure confidentiality regarding personnel activities and personnel data including employment documentation, evaluations, exit interviews and other relevant information.
- Be responsible for update and upkeep and smooth transition of all HR Data and information’s to Human Capital Management System for MC-N.
- Track all performance reviews/probationary evaluations/ contract end dates and notify supervisors and team members accordingly in assigned MC offices.
- Be responsible for timely collection and review of monthly timesheets for team members in assigned MC offices.
- Provide a broad range of in-person field HR support, including support in performance management, grievance management and team engagement in assigned MC offices.
- Working alongside Field HR Officers to ensure timely and accurate update and maintain leave record for all MC-N Offices
- Support the HR lead to track changes and create report for information pertaining to payroll
- Be informed, on an ongoing basis, about current and changing HR-related laws, policies and “best practices” to ensure that current and future personnel policies, employment practices, and compensation packages are within the limits of established standards, procedures, guidelines and policies of Mercy Corps, as well as national laws.
- Provide support during the management of any MCN cooperative & employee driven welfare schemes
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/ pay rates
- Ensure all HR activities adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
Reports Directly To: HR Director
Works Directly With: Senior HR Officer, Field HR Officers, All Hiring Managers, Senior Management Team, Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in HR Management/ Administration or relevant field.
- 2 - 5 years of professional experience in multiple human resource disciplines.
- Demonstrated understanding and proven experience of staffing and talent planning in international relief and development environments.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of Nigerian Labor Act, compensation, benefits administration, recruitment, selection and onboarding
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, and applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Ability to communicate, influence and problem solve effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages will be an added advantage.
- The successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills and should be an excellent listener. S/ he must have excellent analytical skills, good reasoning abilities, and sound judgment. S/he will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and social environment that exist both in and out of Nigeria and will have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people. S/he will develop and maintain productive professional relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders within the organization and throughout the relief and development community. S/he will be flexible, resilient and possess the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Bachelors or better.
Masters or better.