UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Maternal Newborn Child Health and Nutrition (MNCHN) Consultant
Job Number: 517889
Locations: Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: The duration of this assignment is 11.5 months
- Under the guidance and supervision of the State Coordinators, FO Team Leader and the Chief of Field Office (CFO), the State Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the Field Office's steering committee to perform his/her job duties and roles
Key Expected Results/Major Responsibilities
State and LGA:
- Work with the SMOH, SPHCDA and other partners to support dissemination of national policy, strategy, guidelines and quality of care model for MNCHN at state and LGA level.
- Support SMOH and SPHCDA by providing technical assistance to the development of good quality state and LGA annual operational plans and their review using the Primary Health Care Mechanism.
- Support dissemination and use of approved training modules and guidelines on selected high impact Integrated Maternal New-born Child Health and Nutrition continuum of care package as defined ( such as- Focused AnteNatal Care (FANC); Skilled Birth Attendance (SBA); Emergency Obstetric and New-born Care (EmONC); Helping Babies Breath (HBB); Post Natal Care (PNC); Integrated Management of acute malnutrition, Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF), Micronutrient Prevention and Control, Community Based intervention including Â New-born Care and Integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) for diarrhoea, malaria and pneumonia, etc.)
- Support state and LGA level supportive supervision, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of MNCHN programmes.
- Priority areas of work to be supported at this level and strategy based on TSS model (Training, Supplies, Supportive Supervision) including but not limited to the following:
- Set up and implement a quality of care model for MNCHN services in health facilities based on integrated selected high impact interventions.
- In collaboration with state and LGA Trainers, organize and conduct trainings for health workers using approved training modules and guidelines on selected integrated high impact interventions.
- Support end user monitoring of equipment and supplies provided to health facilities.
- Participate in on the Job Training, Supportive Supervision and mentoring of health workers and ensure report is timely done and submitted.
Communities, Villages, Households:
- Support setting up/organization of structures for implementation of Community based MNCHN interventions including (but not limited) WDCs, VDCs, training of VHWs, CHEWs, CHWs, CLTS, WASHCOM, MSG, etc.â€¦and monitor respective interventions
- Support and conduct the end user monitoring of supplies and demand for MNCHN services in communities and households.
- Use and monitor implementation of updated Mama/CHEW/CBNC kits as entry point for promotion of desired health seeking behaviour and link with immunization/polio related activities.
- Work in close collaboration with C4D Consultant to promote uptake of selected high impact family care practices jointly with all sections namely Health, Nutrition, Child Protection, Media, Social Planning, WASH, advocacy and communications and WASH.
- Promote uptake of integrated Community Case Management for diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria as well as other MNCHN community based interventions.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, Public Health and/or related Technical field.
- Two years experience working on child survival issues or health projects.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN working language an asset. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions and very good training skills.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel to remote regions of the country
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants should quote an all inclusive fee
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.