FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Supervisor: A&T Nigeria Regional Advisor
Program Duration: November 2015 to July 31, 2020
- The Program Officer will work as part of A&T Nigeria scale up team led by the A&T Nigeria Project Director. This Program officer will support program implementation and documentation.
- This position will communicate and connect with other A&T Nigeria office technical staff, sub grantees and government stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of scale up program activities.
- The Nigeria A&T IYCF social and behavior change program focuses on improving rates of early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary feeding, and minimum dietary diversity for infants over 6 months old. A&T works across the public, commercial/private, and NGO sectors to improve IYCF through A&T’s four components: advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data.
- At the national level, A&T works predominantly with its public, private/commercial, and NGO sector partners (Scaling Up Nutrition and other national IYCF initiatives) to improve the implementation, monitoring, and enforcement of key IYCF policies (Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes; maternity leave; work place support; breastfeeding-friendly health care and delivery facilities). A&T will also work in twelve states through identified national associations to apply the four components to reach households, communities, and facilities with targeted, age-appropriate social and behavior change communication (SBCC) messaging on IYCF practices.
- At both the national level and in the states, while the emphasis will be to build the capacity of the public sector to improve IYCF practices, the involvement and resources from the private and commercial sectors will be pursued to advance IYCF policies, expand the promotion of positive social norms, and extend timed and age-appropriate behavior change messaging through private and commercial facilities to households and communities.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with state-level staff and government counterparts to provide support and guidance on program implementation and project monitoring. Work with scale up team to prepare, monitor and revise workplans and budget, strategies and sub-project documents, coordinating input from various technical and program staff.
- Work with sub grantees on the correct implementation and use of monitoring and evaluation tools, and adherence to complete, correct and timely reporting. Ensure that the quality of program/project activities adheres to national and approved protocols by supporting the development and implementation of appropriate mechanisms to ensure quality.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of computerized data capture of the scale up component and provide technical assistance and training to staff of the sub-grantees and government responsible for data entry.
- Support the collation of monthly reports from each scale up states and condense to a national report. Conduct analysis of state-level data and provide reports to State Office, National Office and local partners or other relevant parties. Document lessons learned and best practices in program implementation, community engagement and monitoring and evaluation.
- Contribute to the design and technical development of monitoring and evaluation initiatives at state level. Provide related capacity building support to states. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Requirements
- BS/BA degree in Public Health, Health Sciences, Behavioral Sciences or its recognized equivalent with 5-7 years of relevant experience with international development programs.
- MS/MA degree in public health, health sciences, behavioral sciences or its recognized equivalent with 3-5 years of relevant experience with international development programs
- Experience in programming, M&E and database management an advantage
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programming in a Nigeria. Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation
- Proven ability to support a multisectoral development project coordination Basic budget tracking or financial management skills Training and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume of work flow Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision. High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication. Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time. Perform other duties as assigned.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.