Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons. We combat the cause and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa (including Nigeria), Asia as well as in the United States.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Reports: State Coordinator, Katsina
Under the supervision of the State Coordinator the M&E officer is responsible for leading the overall M&E strategy and implementation of related activities within TRUST and DFID United projects and via partners, providing timely and relevant information to projects stakeholders. This entails close communication with all involved in M&E design and coordination: core project and partner M&E staff; representatives from primary stakeholder groups; and the project coordinator, external consultants and field staff when appropriate, plus members of external M&E-related missions.
- Assist to revise the project logframe matrix, particularly in the areas of the objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms.
- Develop and review the overall framework for project M&E, for example, annual project reviews, participatory impact assessments, process monitoring, operations monitoring and lessons-learned workshops.
- Guide the process for identifying and designing the key indicators for each component, to record and report physical progress using project dashboard
- Guide the process for identifying the key performance questions and parameters for monitoring project performance and comparing it to targets. Design the format for such performance reports.
- Design and when necessary, review the framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities
- Review the quality of NTD and Trachoma data in the project area, the methods of collecting it and the degree to which it will provide good baseline statistics for assessment, audit or impact evaluation.
- Review existing approaches and management information systems and agree on any required changes, support and resources.
- Collaborate with staff on qualitative monitoring to provide relevant information for evaluation of project activities through mid or end of term review, audit and impact surveys.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of project activities and to identify where adaptations might be needed.
- In collaboration with the accountant, provide the state HKI NTD coordinator with relevant management information that she/he may require.
- Check that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum and in a timely fashion in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create such discussion fora to fill any gaps.
- Organize and undertake training with stakeholders, including primary stakeholders, in M&E skills, including participatory aspects.
- Guide staff and implementing partners in preparing their progress reports. Together, analyze these reports in terms of problems and actions needed. Prepare consolidated progress reports for project management to submit to the relevant bodies, in accordance with approved reporting formats and timing.
- Prepare monitoring reports, analyse them for impact evaluation or audit and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation.
- Guide the regular sharing of the outputs of M&E findings with project staff, implementing partners and primary stakeholders.
- Make regular reports to the project team highlighting areas of concern and preparing the documentation for review and development of action plan at meetings.
- Supportive mentoring of data entry clerks and independent monitors during all MDAs and TT surgery.
- Mentoring and supportive supervision of state M&E in data entry & drafting of NTD technical report, submission of final copy of annual reports and data to the FMoH
- Review and analysis of TT surgery data (surgical statistics, & surgical outcome monitoring)
- Development and review of all project M&E tools which will guide and track projects performance including performance tracker, Dashboard and detailed implementation plan
- With support from partners and relevant stakeholders undertake research to guide attainment of set project targets (trainings, case finding, TT management etc)
- Participate in project review meetings with the view to advise stakeholders on project performance by development of issues specific action plan
- Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the HKI state NTD Coordinator or any other senior officer(s).
Key Performance Indicators:
Successful implementation of the Trust funded Trachomatous Trichiasis Surgery Project in Katsina based on:
- Effective tracking and reporting of program indicators
- Development and review of M&E framework and tools for the projects
- Implementation of annual work plans
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
- experience in M&E system design;
- experience in data processing and with computers.
- A first degree in statistics, mathematics or public health or science related filed.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years working as an M&E in a development field.
- Ability to analyze data using EPIinfo, SPSS, SAS or similar statistical software
- Familiarity with android-based survey collection tools will be an advantage
Method of Application
Interested persons may send comprehensive resume with a cover letter as ONE MS Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org using the position title as the subject of the email. You will receive an auto response confirming your application. Note that applications will not be accepted after 5pm on Friday, October 26th 2018.
Note: There is no relocation allowance available for this position.