The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. In 2015, IRC Nigeria developed a five-year long term Strategy Action Plan: The plan has Health, Education and Economic Wellbeing as high priority program areas.
Deputy Director of Field Management
Requisition ID: req739
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
- The Deputy Director of Field Management (DDFM) is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Based in Maiduguri and reporting to the Country Director (CD), the DDFM will lead IRC field operations in Nigeria in close coordination with other members of the SMT and key operations and finance personnel.
- The DDFM is responsible for ensuring cohesion between programs and operations through a close working relationship with the Deputy Director for Programs and Deputy Director for Operations.
- The DDFM advises senior management about programming directions and opportunities, and ensuring that program activities are carried out effectively, efficiently, and safely, in furtherance of objectives as laid out in the Strategic Action Plan and taking into consideration all internal and external factors affecting the operational environment.
Leadership and Management:
- Participate in Senior Management Team (SMT) initiatives including weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings as well as other ad hoc events;
- Develop and lead, in collaboration with SMT colleagues, sub-national management fora to ensure cross sectoral program integration and cross departmental partnership and synergies;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Director for Operations, oversee robust and comprehensive security and risk management through participatory approaches across all departments and levels of staff in field locations;
- In collaboration with the Senior Program Coordinators and Field Coordinators, continually monitor and assess the evolving humanitarian context and needs in the North East and channel these to SMT colleagues
- Represent the IRC externally on behalf of the Country Director in Nigeria’s North East and ensure the organization is strategically positioned in relevant sub-national UN, NGO and government fora;
- Act as a champion for the Strategic Action Plan (SAP), ensure that all operations and program activities are orientated towards meeting SAP objectives and participate fully in SAP reporting and revisions;
- In partnership with the Deputy Director for Programs, provide leadership and supervisory management of Senior Program Coordinators for the efficient and effective delivery of program commitments through overseeing the development and implementation of tools such as procurements plans, budget versus actual reports, work plans etc.;
- Working closely with the Deputy Director for Programs, Senior Program Coordinators and the grants team, support program coordinators to ensure comprehensive donor grant management and compliance.
- Working closely with SMT colleagues, ensure that operations (finance, supply chain, HR, IT) are responsive to the needs of programs, are in line with IRC policy /donor regulations and meet the highest compliance standards possible.
- Ensure effective human resource management, in conjunction with relevant colleagues, through responsive supervision and performance management of direct reports and overseeing staffing, leave, performance management planning and roll out across relevant teams.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Country Director
- Position directly supervises: The Deputy Director for Field Management will supervise the following staff through a “management in partnership approach”:
- Field Coordinators (currently two) - in collaboration with the Deputy Director of Operations
- Senior Program Coordinators (currently two) - in collaboration with the Deputy Director of Programs
- Security Coordinator (one) - in collaboration with the Deputy Director of Operations.
- Management in Partnership is a type of matrix management used at the IRC. Management in Partnership aims to ensure effective and efficient management and supervision of mutli-facing and cross departmental roles.
Other key contacts:
- Country Program: Senior Management Team members, M&E Coordinator, Consortia Coordinators, Grants Coordinator.
- Region: Regional Director, Deputy Regional Director for Programs, Regional Safety and Security Advisor,
- Advanced degree in relevant Technical or Managerial subject area
- At least seven years of international experience with four years of experience in the management of emergency, post-conflict or development programs.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in program design and delivery, including proposal development and/or strategic level operations design and delivery
- Proven capacity in staff management, multi-tasking, time management and diplomacy.
- Experience of working hostile environments as well as security analysis and management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Must be an innovative and creative problem solver, and a team player, with experience working with multi-cultural teams.
- Fluent in English.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.