If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Purpose of this Assignment
Accountable for professional technical contribution to programme/project design, planning, administration, monitoring and evaluation of WASH programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting, and commitment for enhancement of teamwork and capacity building, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals and strategy.
Key End Results
- Accurate, complete and up-to-date information made available for effective budget preparation, programme and project design, implementation, management and evaluation including emergency preparedness and response
- Programme efficiency and effectiveness enhanced through effective implementation follow-on.
- Progress reports and project work plans timely prepared, and effective technical assistance provided in the identification of required supplies and equipment, and in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, with specific attention to gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators.
- Appropriateness and completeness of financial and supply documentation as well as adherence to established allotments ensured.
- Knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media promoted.
- Effective communication and networking achieved through partnership and collaboration.
Key Accountabilities and Duties and Tasks
- Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective WASH programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Draft sound WASH programme budgets for review by the supervisor including steps to enhance emergency preparedness and response.
Programme Efficiency and Effectiveness:
- Enhance programme efficiency and effectiveness through evidence based approach and implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply, non-supply and emergency assistance and WASH programme status.
Work Plan and Programme Documentation:
- Analyse collected data and information and prepare progress reports; draft changes in WASH project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment (for both development and emergency orientated activities) as well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other programme documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
Programme Implementation Information and Data:
- Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that WASH programme expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the programme information and database (e.g., FLS, Vision).
- Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
- Collaborate with Monitoring & Evaluation office on maintaining a gender & equity focus in WASH data collection and reporting.
- Compile WASH programme implementation training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media.
Communication and Networking:
- Ensure effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
- Team with local Government counterparts and sectoral stakeholders to exchange information on WASH programme implementation and status, capacity and vulnerability/risk mapping preparedness as well as movement, prepositioning and distribution of supplies.
- Coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to WASH sector. Where appropriate support the IASC WASH Cluster during preparedness and response to emergencies.
Qualification and Competencies
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- One (1) year of relevant professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization with national government and field work experience.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station.
go to method of application »
Purpose of the Position
- Under the overall direction of the Chief of WASH, UNICEF Abuja, facilitate the processes that will ensure a well-coordinated, strategic, adequate, coherent, and effective response of WASH partners in Emergency; and effectively coordinate the implementation of UNICEF WASH humanitarian interventions.
Key Expected Results
- Timely sectoral analysis, input, support and collaboration to the Situation Analysis and its periodic update made for effective programme planning, development and management, including emergency preparedness and response.
- Knowledge management effectively promoted through drafting/finalizing key WASH sectoral programme documents and reports, sharing good practice, lessons learned, and knowledge/information exchange.
- Quality of rights-based WASH programmes effectively promoted, and coherence, synergy and value added to programme management process through results-based management and strategies.
- Sectoral work plan and activities formulated, implemented and monitored, ensuring alignment with the defined programme strategies and approaches. Programme monitored with special attention to gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators.
- Programme delivery, evaluation and reporting carried out efficiently, rigorously and transparently in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- UNICEF's global goals effectively promoted through advocacy and policy dialogue in the WASH sector.
- Proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability ensured regarding supply, non-supply and emergency assistance as well as disbursement of programme funds for the WASH sector.
- Effective communication and networking achieved through partnership and collaboration including support to the IASC WASH Cluster.
Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
WiE Sector Coordination in Abuja (approx. 30% of the time):
- Collect, analyze and report on WiE working group activities and resources using existing tools (5W, gap table…) or develop new coordination tools if requested. Train the partners on their use.
- Establish and maintain information databases that consolidate, analyse and report/disseminate information including development of maps, critical to decision making.
- Facilitate joint needs assessment with WiE sector partners to determine WASH sector priorities and an appropriate intervention by UNICEF, based on the local emergency situation affecting children, their families and community.
- Timely delivery of assistance and supplies is provided, urgent staffing requirements are identified, and the appropriate use of UNICEF resources is monitored for effective project delivery.
- Lead on the preparation of SitRep inputs with emphasis on WiE Working Group plans, targets and achievements. Monitoring and reporting the implementation of the WiE Working Group strategy and results; recommending corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure that there is effective communication, reporting, engagement and coordination between the WiE working groups at the national and sub-national levels.
- Represent the WaSH sector in coordination meeting with OCHA and participate to coordination efforts leaded by OCHA (Information Management, multi-sectorial Emergency preparedness plan, multi-sectorial assessment).
- In coordination with the Ministry of Water Resources, co-lead and prepare coordination meetings according to guidelines.
Effective Management of Assigned UNICEF WiE Projects (70%):
- Identifies implementing/operational partners and establishes implementing arrangements including preparation of needed documents for implementing the assigned projects.
- Implements and manages Output-15 of the WASH Annual Work Plan in coordination with Field offices. Undertakes field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress. Makes technical decisions on project administration (e.g., activates, requests or re-programmes allocation of emergency funds).
- Contributes to the development of standards/ guidelines for humanitarian interventions and undertakes capacity building activities for government partners and CSOs.
- Ensures that the project funds are managed and reported duly considering UNICEF procedures and internal timelines.
- Ensures that the funds are utilized in accordance with the approved project documents and any deviation is notified in advance for approval by the donor.
- Contributes to the preparation of quality reporting on the project progress and completion including identification of potential human interest stories.
- Ensures that adequate attention is paid to promote donor visibility in-line with the project requirements.
- Emergency preparedness and response strategies are mainstreamed in Sectoral work plans. Sectoral input is provided for all related documents for the office's Emergency Preparedness and Response, as well as for the Situation Analysis and the Country Programme Document.
- Contribute to the preparation of Emergency appeals and project proposals (Flash Appeal, CAP, ERF/CHF, CERF), and concerted efforts are put forward to mobilize donor response and recovery/rehabilitation-related funding.
- Manage an inventory of relevant documents on the humanitarian situation.
- Communicates and advocates on the situation and needs of children through local and international media, as appropriate.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree, preferably at an advanced level, in a subject area relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or to the international WASH cluster. Extensive work experience relevant to this post may be considered as a replacement for formal qualifications.
- Formal training in cluster coordination an advantage.
- At least 7 years progressively responsible humanitarian work experience with UN and/or NGO, including programme management and/or coordination in the first phase of a major emergency response relevant to the cluster.
- Understands key technical issues for the WASH in Emergency (WiE) Working Group sufficiently well enough to be able to: engage with WiE Working Group participants; make full use of their experience and knowledge; guide strategy and plans; communicate and advocate on important issues.
- Understands the rationale behind Humanitarian Reform, its main components and recent developments including the Transformative Agenda.
- Communicates, works and networks effectively with a wide range of people to reach broad consensus on a well-coordinated response, and demonstrates leadership where required.
- Fluency in English required and another UN language desirable
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [III]
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.