The West African Health Organization (WAHO) has recently initiated its field activities as part of the West Africa Regional Disease Surveillance Capacity Strengthening (WARDS) Project. In this regard the Centre for International Cooperation in Health and Development (CCISD), a Canadian NGO based in Quebec City, Canada, was selected as WAHO’s implementing partner for the field epidemiology training component activities targeting paramedics in 15 ECOWAS member countries including NIGERIA. As such, CCISD is in the process of recruiting a qualified and competent Accountant secretary to assist in the implementation of the CCISD WARDS project in Nigeria. The office will be working under the authority of the Federal Ministry of Health. It will be located within the NCDC.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Office: CCISD WARDS Office
- Supporting the Coordinator in ensuring the operationalization of CCISD-WARDS activities in Nigeria, in particular training and supervision activities related to strengthening surveillance capabilities in 18 LGAs.
- Preparing periodic project reports for submission to the National Coordinator. These reports will be sent to the CCISD Home Office.
- Providing direct administrative supervision to the Project Accountant and driver
- In the absence of the National Coordinator, acting as interim coordinator of CCISD WARDS project in Nigeria.
- Liaising with CCISD Home Office for day to day management and key issues, through the National Coordinator
- Some travel within the region may be required.
- Management professional with experience in public health projects, preferably projects implemented by an international organization in Nigeria;
- Training in Field Epidemiology or equivalent;
- Experience managing projects involving national and international training, including in close collaboration with FMOH staff;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience;
- Knowledge and skills in the use of the following software: Word processing, Excel, PowerPoint, Epi-info and Health Mapper;
- Excellent knowledge of English; working knowledge of French an added advantage;
- Ability to work as a team while demonstrating a good sense of initiative;
- Openness to work extra hours when required to meet objectives set out for the project.
go to method of application »
Office: CCISD WARDS Office
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The position will be based within the NCDC. Under the supervision of the CCISD-WARDS Project Coordinator, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Ensuring proper administrative and financial project management in compliance with the CCISD Financial and Operational Management Manual.
- Participating in preparing budgets and managing available budgets with efficiency and honesty.
- Controlling income and expenditure with regards to banking and bookkeeping of the project.
- Managing Petty cash and filling in petty cash vouchers
- Preparing checks and filling in bank slips
- Producing and checking monthly financial field reports before sending them to CCISD Head Office in Canada.
- Preparing and paying travel advances; using pre-numbered temporary vouchers; doing the follow up; reviewing all expense reports, checking supporting documents and questioning any irregularities; ensuring that all differences are reimbursed or corrected within the set deadlines.
- Ensuring accurate control of local expenses.
- Ensuring that CCISD standards for purchases or procurement of goods and services are strictly abided by before making any payment.
- Ensuring that all supporting documents are correctly filed.
Managing project goods and equipment:
- Managing all project goods and equipment in compliance with CCISD’s Field Operational and
- Administration Manual; ensuring that CCISD standards for purchases or procurement of goods and services are strictly abided by; ensuring that project materials and equipment are properly stored and safe and, that they can be inspected at any moment.
- Keeping update inventory lists of project materials and equipment.
- Ensuring that project materials and equipment are properly maintained and accounted for.
- Managing project vehicles (accurate monitoring of fuel consumption, planning of vehicle utilisation, checking of driver’s logbooks, monthly maintenance and repair).
Human Resource Management:
- Is aware of the Nigerian Employment and Labour Law and strictly abides by it.
- Preparing monthly salary payments; ensuring compliance with taxation legislation.
- Preparing and keeping update CCISD-WARDS project employees’ files: recruitment letter, employment contract, list of statutory and public holidays, absences from work, etc.
- Keeping the Project Manager informed about issues related to salaries and on human resource management.
Duties and responsibilities as project secretary:
- Convening and servicing project meetings (producing agendas, taking minutes; conveying decisions, etc).
- Handling correspondence before and after meetings.
- Collating information using Word processing, printing and sharing relevant documents.
- Filing documents and mail, sorting post, keeping appointments diaries
- Maintaining a filing system of working documents; and monitoring incoming correspondence.
- Receiving phone calls, handling or properly dispatching them.
- Managing incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Preparing to receive external visitors including Canadian Project Managers or Consultants (flight booking and hotel reservations; preparing files, liaising with government and other bodies to allow for information flow, any other task as required)
- Preparing invitation letters, agendas for conveyed meetings, reservation of meeting venues and provision of all required documentation; writing of meeting minutes and distribution to whom it may concern.
- Welcoming visitors and ensuring that logistics are made available to them.
- Performing any other related duty for the efficient functioning of the project.
Educational Qualification and other Related Skills Required
- Candidates must have a minimum of BA Degree in Accounting, Commerce or any other related course, including a pass in English, French and mathematics.
- CPA (II), ACCA (II) or equivalent will be an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work productively in a team
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Willingness to work overtime
- Be highly motivated, have innovative ideas and a creative mind.
- Computer knowledge and accounting software like Excel is mandatory
- Proficiency in English
- Knowledge of French would be an added advantage
Work Experience Required
- Candidates must have a minimum of five years working experience, with preferably at least two years with an international organization
- Previous working experience with donor-funded projects will be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment and Additional Information
- The appointment will be for 18 months including a 3-month probationary period, starting January 4th, 2016. Contract extension will be subject to performance and availability of funding.
- Following hire, the incumbent must be available to receive a two-week training on CCISD Management procedures.
- The salary attached to the position and allowances for locally recruited staff will be discussed during interview.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send complete applications (including cover letter, CV, copy of diplomas and two references) to the attention of "Mrs Olubunmi Ojo" at: email@example.com , copy to firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- We thank all candidates for their interest in the project.
- However only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Interviews will be carried out early in December.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.