Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
Nigeria Country Office and presence across Lake Chad Basin
Since registering in Nigeria in 2016, INSO has developed a strong regional approach, supporting NGOs working on the Lake Chad Basin region. The Lake Chad Basin (LCB) coordination is based in Abuja, Nigeria and oversees the operational office in Maiduguri. We also coordinate with our platforms in Cameroon and Niger.
The SAA will support the Safety Advisor (SA) by assisting in the collection and verification of safety information in the Northeastern region of Nigeria, as well as assisting the SA in the preparation of relevant safety reports and incident lists
- Collecting, verifying and coding safety information relevant for NGOs
- Gather information through multiple sources on ongoing and past incidents
- After verification of the information with multiple sources, enter the incidents into the CHDC and inform SA or DSA acting on his behalf to review
- Ensure consistency in writing narratives and adherence to INSO writing and coding handbook, styles/standards
- Ensure accurate and proper coding of all incidents based on CHDC guidelines
- Check the database each time it has been updated by the Info Team in Abuja to ensure no errors have occurred.
- Ensure that new consolidated information is updated including the release of claims for already coded incidents, follow up on the release of abductees, recovery of missing items etc
- Assist in the delivery of the INSO services and products.
- Take the lead on drafting Roundtable PowerPoint presentations
- Support in the organisation of all presentations at the INSO office with logistics attendance sheets, access control
- Collating, compiling and submitting all attendance sheets to the Info team
- Compiling and submitting contact lists to the Info team
- Support DSAs and SAs with information gathering during ongoing incidents for the purpose of delivery of timely and accurate information through INSO alerts
- Adhere to INSO safety policies and procedures.
- Fully comply with INSO policy directives;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and safety of all NGO information;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and safety of any documentation/procedures as outlined by INSO
- Other tasks may be requested and should be executed diligently
- Manage your time in the office effectively.
- Work to ensure a positive working atmosphere by enhancing a cordial working relationship.
- Bachelor in either, Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma
- At least 3 years of Police, Military, and/or NGO safety work experience or as a data entry analyst
- Excellent English writing skills as well as a fluent conversational level of at least one of the following languages: Hausa, Kanuri or other local languages relevant to North Eastern Nigeria.
- A good understanding of NGO approaches to safety
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with key safety interlocutors in the North Eastern Region
- Excellent Computer skills and knowledge of Windows and Office programs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- High level of confidentiality and integrity
- Experience of working under high pressure, in fast-paced environments
- Strong organizational skills ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner
- Strong skills in data management
**Females are strongly encouraged to apply**
Candidates meeting the specified criteria are invited to apply by sending the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letter (1 page max) – specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO.
Up to date CV (4 pages max).
The reference ‘INSO Safety Advisor Assistant – Nigeria’ should be included in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.