If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
Female Videographer/ Photographer (Headhunting)
Location: Abuja (with travel to Maiduguri and deep field locations)
The Nigeria INGO Forum (hereafter the ‘INGO Forum’) helps coordinate the efforts of its members operations in Nigeria, some of whom are operational in north-east Nigeria. Mercy Corps is the host agency of the INGO Forum.
The INGO Forum provides a collective voice for members to elevate humanitarian operational realities and challenges nationally, regionally and internationally. Through strengthening coordination, increasing information sharing and fostering partnerships with all actors, including the Government of Nigeria, United Nations, national NGOs and donors, the INGO Forum works as the critical link pushing for increased efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery and usage of much needed aid to affected populations.
The INGO Forum was established in October 2014 and with currently 36 INGOs in Nigeria as members, there is an increasing need to ensure the world’s attention, both political and financial, stays on the Lake Chad Basin, specifically north-east crisis.
Purpose / Project Description
- To develop a high quality short video highlighting the key protection concerns and a short photo series focused on children in north-east Nigeria to be circulated widely for all INGO Forum members to use. Due to the INGO Forum’s global reach, it will also be shown at high level events at global capitals when discussing north-east Nigeria to continue demanding global financial and political attention for the world.
- Develop a short high quality with excellent sound 5-7 minute film outlining the key protection risks for north-east Nigeria in a creative but sensitive way
- Photo series to be used at the Abuja and Lagos levels for school exhibitions and to be displayed in High Commissions in Abuja to highlight the suffering of the children of the north-east.
The Consultant will:
- Develop a high quality plan for film/photos in collaboration with the INGO Forum
- Travel to the field to shoot scenes and beneficiaries to get a greater understanding of the context
- Collect testimonies of beneficiaries in a protection and gender sensitive way
- Develop a high quality with great sound short film with guidance from the INGO Forum
- Develop a high quality photo series for use of INGO F members
The Consultant will:
- What will they accomplish/deliver – bulleted list preferred
- Short high quality, excellent sound 5-7 minute video that will be circulated at high level events at global capitals and for use by 36 of our INGO members
- High quality photo series focused on children in the north-east to be potentially displayed across a wide range of venues at the Abuja and Lagos level
Timeframe / Schedule
The consultancy will be based on the following timeline:
- 1 day meeting with Abuja team to ensure objectives are understood
- 5 days in Maiduguri (and deep field where accessible) shooting
- 10 days to develop short film - working with policy advisor on script
- 5 (separate) days to incorporate major changes
- 2 days for finished/polished video and photo series
The consultancy will run for 23 days including weekends in March 2018.
The Consultant will report to:
- The Consultant will report to Jennifer Jalovec - INGO Forum Director
The Consultant will work closely with:
- The Consultant will work from the INGO Forum Secretariat in Mercy Corps Abuja office and will work closely with the Information Management Officer (IMO), the Policy Advisor.
- The consultant will also be supported by the Programme Support Assistant, Field Support Manager and internally with Mercy Corps Logistics team and the Finance Department.
Who Can Apply?
- Only female professional videographers/photographers will be considered for this job because of the sensitivity of the protection issues to cover. These issues will centre mostly on sexual and gender-based violence, domestic violence, child protection, rights abuse amongst others.
- Advanced University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Mass Communication or any related field.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of demonstrable relevant media and communications or public relations experience in Nigeria
- Former work experience as a photographer and videographer with proven past high quality deliverables
- Considerable work experience with international humanitarian/development agencies
- The candidate must be a Nigerian.
- Proven delivery of video and photography projects of a high quality
- Proven communication skills and proven experience in covering sensitive topics
- Sound understanding of the humanitarian and/or development context in Nigeria
- Willing and able to travel to field locations and adapt priorities in order to respond to changing demands
- Willing to work with the INGO Forum to ensure the final product is of extremely high quality
- Fully knowledgeable of the humanitarian principles and code of conducts.
- Must be sensitive to the needs and ways of working (WoWs) of INGOs
- Must demonstrate commitment and sensitivity to gender and diversity and must apply right based approach at all times
- Excellent command of English language and ability to communicate in Hausa desirable.
The selection of a suitable videographer/photographer will be based on the following six (6) criteria:
- Videography/Photography Experience (20%): Should be a professional with quality years of experience
- Job Relevance (25%): A demonstrated past experience in similar role or experience in providing similar services to INGOs and UN agencies. The consultant must demonstrate a good knowledge of humanitarian principles, INGOs ways of working and the humanitarian context in the north-east
- Innovativeness (15%): Ability to contribute something new and catchy. And willingness to creatively execute high quality products that meet objectives within a short time
- Responsiveness of Proposal (30%): Quality of the proposal submitted in relation to the advert. This include clarity, objectiveness, concision, timeline, budget, etc.
- Total Cost (including labour) (10%): Total costs required to successfully execute tasks including labour charges is within budget.
Method of Application
Applicants are expected to submit the followings:
- Brief concept (2 page max) of how they intend to execute the assignment
- Timeline or workplan
- Verifiable references of previous work
For email submission, send your document with the subject “Videographer/Photographer Consultancy” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: No CV submission will be accepted, only the above requested document will be evaluated.