World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
National Consultant - Assess the Task Shifting/Sharing Implementation in Bauchi and Cross River State
Ref Id: 1904760
Primary Location: Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract Duration: 30 days
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- The ‘Enhancing the Ability of Frontline Health Workers to Improve Health in Nigeria (2014-2019)’ is a five-year project funded by the Government of Canada through the Global Affairs Canada (GAC), whose implementation commenced in 2014.
- The project has an overall goal of improving health status/outcomes of infants, children, women, and men in Bauchi and Cross River States of Nigeria by strengthening their capacities to improve the health worker situation with attention to the specific needs for male and female frontline health workers
- It is implemented by World Health Organization (WHO), Population Council (PC) and Global Health Workforce Alliance (GHWA)
- The project focused on building stronger and better functioning health systems owned and managed by Bauchi and Cross River States specifically targeted at the frontline health personnel (such as nurses, midwives, CHOs, CHEWs) needed to deliver maternal, newborn and child health care services at the primary care level in Bauchi and Cross River States
- The project supported the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) to develop/review evidence-based and gender-mainstreamed national HRH policy, HRH Strategic Plan and the task shifting/ sharing policy
- Bauchi and Cross River States were also supported to domesticate and implement these documents. In enabling the implementation of the Task Shifting/ Sharing (TSS) policy, context-specific priority tasks to be shifted at primary healthcare centres (PHCs) were identified, and frontline health workers trained and mentored accordingly
- The purpose of this assignment is to assess the task shifting/sharing implementation in Bauchi and Cross River State based on the State Task Shifting and Sharing Policies.
Scope of Work
- Evaluate the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of task shifting and sharing interventions and practices in both states
- Explore the experiences and perceptions of policy makers, health workers and beneficiaries of task shifting and sharing in urban and rural health facilities
- Explore factors promoting implementation of task shifting and sharing in the states in rural and urban contexts
- Examine and document person-centred case studies, stories of change, success stories and best practices resulting from implementation of task shifting and sharing in both states
- Develop a detailed protocol for the assessment including data collection tools
- Undertake field trips to states to collect needed data from mapped stakeholders and beneficiaries at various levels
- Develop State -specific technical reports on methodology and findings including person-centred case studies, stories of change, success stories and best practices resulting from implementation of task shifting and sharing, and recommendations for policy, planning and sustainability
- Conduct State-level validation events.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- University Degree in Public Health, Global Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics or other relevant Degrees.
- University Degree in Public Health, Global Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics or other relevant degree ia an asset
- At least 5 years demonstrable experience in health systems strengthening program design, implementation and research
- Extensive experience of combining quantitative and qualitative/participatory approaches to research and analyzing findings.
- Proven conceptual, analytical, research and writing skills.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.