Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
Human Resources Officer
Department: Human Resources
Length of contract: Indefinite
Role type: National
Reporting to: HR Manager
Country and Project Background
- Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible. Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria.
- Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners.
- The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SuNMaP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
- The Human Resources Officer will provide administrative support to the HR Manager in relation to the all Human Resource related functions in the organization. This will include ensuring consistency of our approach to processes and policies and maintaining high quality standards across all of Malaria Consortium, Nigeria.
Scope of Work
- This position will work closely with the HR Manager in providing HR support on all related functions.
- The HR Officer will consistently support in all recruitment processes, overall administration; including contracting, staff orientation, benefit reviews, appraisals, reward and Learning & Development for staff.
Key Working Relationships
- Within this position, the key internal working relationships are with the HR Manager and West and Central Africa Programmes Director.
- They will also work closely with the wider team including colleagues in State Offices providing assistance in matters relating to HR and Recruitment.
HR Administration (40%):
- Create and maintain up to date electronic personnel records for national Nigeria employees
- Support the coordination of inductions for new starters
- Collect and process documentation for all employees
- Maintain trackers of all recruitment and new starter information
- Assist in collecting information required for HR policies and other HR related projects
- Manage a filing system for HR information, including sensitive and confidential information
- Support in the management of the HR Information System (Cascade)
- Collate Staff Objectives and completed probation reviews & appraisals, saving information in electronic personnel files
- Support with administration relating to Learning & Development activities
Recruitment and orientation (30%):
- Advertise roles in the Malaria Consortium website, public boards, and any other relevant forums.
- Support in the long listing of applicants based on the minimal requirement specified by the Job Description.
- Arrange interviews, including correspondence with candidates and panel members.
- Prepare and keep electronic files of the recruitment material as required.
- Together with the HR Manager ensure that Cascade recruitment module is maintained and all candidates receive timely communication.
- Keep recruitment data like job descriptions, interview grids, tests on the personal files in line with Data Protection regulations.
HR Project Support (20%):
- Draft contractual documents for all staff both for national long term employees and short terms consultancy support;
- Provide oversight support to the state offices to ensure compliance of HR policies in relation to recruitment of short term consultancies and other contractual processes;
- Periodically provide on-field support to staff to ensure consistency of all applications of the Human Resources policies as well as other policies across its operating states;
Other Duties (10%):
- Lead in the scheduling of HR meetings and appointments.
- Schedule exit interviews and other meetings for exiting staff.
- Maintain accurate records of employment benefits.
- Ensure that all employees are covered under the appropriate benefits policy.
- Minute taking in HR related meeting e.g. disciplinary cases
- Any other reasonable duties as may be designated to the role form time to time.
- Provide regular HR monthly reports on Nigeria activities;
- Provide first-hand HR support to the state offices on administrative or policy related challenges
Qualifications and Experience:
- Certificate in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 3-years’ experience in a related role
- Prior experience in a similar level role
- Experience in human resources or administration
- Experience in record keeping/management.
- Knowledge of Nigeria employment law.
- INGO experience will be an added advantage.
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality of HR information
- Able to work on own initiative with limited supervision
- Excellent in English with good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- LEVEL A - Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives:
- Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations.
- Strong self-management of time and effort.
- Checks own work to ensure quality.
Analysis and use of information:
- LEVEL A - Gathers information and identifies problems effectively:
- Interprets basic written information
- Attentive to detail
- Follows guidelines to identify issues
- Recognises problems within their remit
- Uses appropriate methods for gathering and summarising data
Interpersonal and communications:
- LEVEL B - Fosters two-way communication:
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
- LEVEL B - Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and motivating people:
- LEVEL A - Open to learning and responds positively to feedback:
- Willingness to manage own development and performance.
- Builds capacity of colleagues by sharing knowledge (induction) and acting as induction ‘buddy’ when asked.
- Open to learning new things.
- Responds positively to feedback from others
- Identifies mistakes and takes positive steps to improve.
- LEVEL A - Recognises own stress levels and adapts:
- Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress.
- Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment.
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions.
Living the Values:
- LEVEL B - Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers:
- Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers.
- Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
NGN3,052,350 (Basic Salary)
Method of Application
Click Here For More Information (PDF)
Interested and qualified? Go to Malaria Consortium career website on recruitment.malariaconsortium.org to apply