Location: Abuja, NIGERIA
Application Deadline: 11-Nov-13
Type of Contract: UNV
Post Level: UNV
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 30-Nov-2013
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
In August 2013, the Government of Nigeria and UNDP signed a project document on Strengthening Capacity of CSOs on advocacy for policy influencing on HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
Also, the Process of signing the Project Cooperation Agreement, (PCA) between UNDP and the Implementing Partner, (IP), Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (NEPHWAN) is almost completed. In line with the Implementation arrangement under the project, a Project Coordinator is expected to be recruited to provide technical support and oversight for effective implementation.
The objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of CSOs to advocate and promote rights and issues of people living with HIV/AIDS as well as demand accountability for AIDS spending at state and national level.
Project title: Support to Free Movement of Persons and Migration in West Africa
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 50 months
go to method of application »
The specific Objectives include:
- To strengthen the capacity of civil society organizations/networks working on;
- HIV/AIDS to advocate for issues of Human rights, vulnerability of women and girls, involvement of men and boys in resolving gender issues and access to HIV/AIDS services;
- To increase transparency and accountability of national AIDS spending through budget tracking;
- To enhanced ownership and sustainability of the AIDS response in Nigeria.
- Host Agency/Host Institute: NEPWHAN/UNDP Nigeria Country Office.
- Organizational Context: Inclusive Growth Unit.
Type of Assignment Place:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the Deputy Country Director (Programmes) and the Team Leader, Inclusive Growth Unit and direct supervision of the HIV/AIDS Focal Point, the UNV Programme Associate provides financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Follow up on the implementation of planned outputs and results;
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of Programme processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Compliance with HACT NEX modality for the Implementing Partner, NEPWHAN.
- Provides programmatic & financial support to NEPWHAN focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development of Annual Workplans, Procurement plans for project implementation;
- Project delivery to meet planned targets;
- Quarterly Programme Implementation Report;
- Preparation of Face Forms and DPRs in line with UN Procedures;
- Preparation of DSA and transport schedules for reimbursement to workshop participants;
- Quarterly financial and programmatic reports of the project.
- Ensures proper Programme implementation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Operationalization of the project;
- Backstopping for the key project personnel while on leave;
- Conduct monitoring missions to review partner activities; prepare comprehensive monitoring reports tracking emerging results, challenges and support pillar heads in developing and following up with suitable mitigating strategies to address emerging issues;
- Liaise with all the Stakeholders – UNDP, NEPHWAN, NACA etc;
- Arrange steering committee meetings.
- Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain database of partners and stakeholders;
- Participate in trainings and advocacy strategies;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Furthermore, UNV volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
- Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in use of financial resources.
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the UNV assignment such as specific quantification of mobilized volunteers, activities, capacities.
- Understanding of the CSOs and CCEs working on HIV/AIDS in Nigeria;
- Commitment to United Nations ethics, values and code of conduct;
- Displays social, cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability
- Proficiency in Standard Computer Software (Word, Excel, Database, PowerPoint, Internet);
- Strong aptitude for learning computer based financial and program management software for monitoring programs;
- Language skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Communication and negotiation skills.
- Organize and prioritize workload using initiative, coping with stress in harsh, insecure conditions;
- Work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team;
- Professional and personal flexibility and adaptability;
- To be result oriented.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Social Sciences or Public Health.
- Minimum 2 years relevant working experience;
- Experience in handling web-based management system;
- Experience in the usage of ATLAS (Finance Application Access Module) will be an advantage.
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of the language spoken in the duty station is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.