If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
Req ID: 2682
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 1st November, 2017
Duration: 6 months (with possible extension)
Over the past year, insurgency has intensified attacks which have spread from North-East Nigeria to Cameroon, Chad and Niger, affecting some 20 million people. Suicide bombings and raids targeting civilians in villages and in cities around the Lake Chad basin have caused widespread trauma, prevented people from accessing essential services and destroyed infrastructure. Across the region, over 2.8 million people are displaced; most of who are sheltered by communities that count among the world’s most vulnerable.
The combined effect of growing insecurity, fast population growth and severe vulnerability resulting from a changing climate, environmental degradation, poverty and under-investment in social services is translating into record numbers of people in need of emergency relief. There are 9.2 million in need of humanitarian assistance. Nigeria is hosting 7m, Cameroon 1.5m, Niger 460.000 and Chad 257.000. The increasing number of attacks and arrival of displaced children have placed an additional burden on already weak health and education systems.
Insecurity, displacement, disrupted agricultural activities and cross-border trade continue to undermine communities’ livelihoods and have resulted in a sharp rise in food insecurity. Some 4.4 million people facing severe food insecurity urgently need support in the region, 90 per cent of them in north-east Nigeria, with 50,000 people in Phase 5, the highest level of food insecurity under the Cadre Harmonisé classification. Throughout the region, an estimated 223.000 severely acutely malnourished children could die if not urgently assisted.
- To support the development and implementation of Oxfam s humanitarian work by providing specialist advice and support on humanitarian protection.
- This will include implementing mainstreaming protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities in particular, protection monitoring and information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam's policies and guidelines for managing information and the relevant professional standards in protection work.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities and provide technical support to the Protection Team Leader and Officers to undertake their responsibilities in line with their role and responsibility;
- Join field protection officers in monitoring and analysing protection issues affecting populations in area of Oxfam operations;
- Analyse protection concerns arising from Oxfam's humanitarian response, provide recommendations on addressing them and throughout the process of addressing the protection concerns s/he must support continuous support to the relevant teams;
- Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam's humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including regarding humanitarian access and engagement with armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in providing services;
- Support the management to strategize, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection throughout the humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria;
- Provide technical support to WaSH, EFSVL and MEAL teams in integrating protection within theirprogrammatic tools, such as targeting criteria or PDM;
- Support Protection Team Leaders and Officers in preparing and organizing community consultations and community based orientation sessions;
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research;
- Monitor protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation;
- Provide technical and analytical advise to manager in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response;
- Provide capacity-building on protection;
- Ensure program staff members are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs;
- Organise and prepare protection analysis, if and when required, and draft the reports;
- Build proposals to ensure appropriate funding and response for protection activities;Review proposals to ensure protection is integrated and mainstreamed
Advocacy and Research:
- Inform the Policy, Media, Advocacy and Campaigns department of emerging protection concerns.
- Develop lines of communication and close collaboration with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response;
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork;
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR, IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and relevant Areas of Responsibility.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and reporting
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- You have a Master's degree in Law - including International Law -, Political Science, Social Science, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related discipline;
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work, preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure environments;
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically Oxfam's approach to and role in protection work including advocacy;
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors;
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking, including experience developing written analysis and strategies for protection;
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Fluency in English;
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments;
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners;
- A sound understanding of Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid code and SPHERE minimum standards.
A competitive and fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
go to method of application »
Req ID: 2841
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full-time/ 40 hours a week
Start date: December 1, 2017
Contract: 1 year
Purpose of the Position
- To ensure effective and efficient delivery of all operational and business development functions to the country programme, and ensure risk is managed and there is compliance with Oxfam’s policies and procedures.
- S/he is a member of the Senior Management Team and contributes to the overall leadership and management of the Oxfam programme in Nigeria.
- Provide strategic leadership to the various business support functions (finance, human resources, logistics, IT, administration, business development & donor contract management issues), ensuring the best possible support to the programme and advice to the response management team.
- Exploit opportunities presented by external regulatory provisions that will ensure cost effective programmes and provide relevant information needed to facilitate processes.
- Ensure all business support functions operate in an effective manner, complying with all Oxfam and donor requirements and procedures.
- Establish and maintain robust fraud mitigation measures and establish of culture of compliance and rigour across the business support functions.
- Provide direction to the Finance Manager on financial management, policies and procedures, ensuring that the programme is informed of all developments in financial policies. Ensure the programme is complying with financial standards set by Oxfam and donors.
- Liaise with the funding team to ensure that all donor reporting requirements are met, including proposals, budgets and donor reporting liaising as required by donors.
- Provide direct support to the Humanitarian Programme Manager and the Programme Managers in the field on all matters of finance specifically budget preparation, monitoring, control and reporting with a view to ensuring good financial standards are met.
- Produce monthly financial management information for the Response Management Team and ensures that the finance team provides necessary financial reports for field programme managers to monitor and review their project activities.
- Assume a strategic overview of financial management systems across the programme, taking note of changing external and internal environment in financial and economic conditions.
- It is also essential that this position plays an active role in proposal development, particularly with respect to innovative budgeting and realistic estimates with respect to logistics requirements for support and other costing for support functions.
- Advise on ways of ensuring that effective logistics management and tracking systems are in place and functioning at all times.
- Review and where necessary support programmes formulate partnership contracts, supplier’s contracts that align to policy and mitigate financial and operational risks.
- In collaboration with the Security focal point, to ensure that Oxfam Health and Safety and Security guidelines are implemented by the BST.
- Support programme Co-ordinators and advisors through relevant financial and related contextual information gathering, monitoring situations and consolidating and reviewing proposals as required.
- Motivate the support team to work interactively with the programme team and to come up with and communicate innovative solutions and systems that allows the programme to serve its overall goal. This component is critical to the success of this post
- Support the HPM/Operational Lead to achieve the programme objectives and reduce risks associated with the programme around legality and compliancy issues and alert the CD of any imminent risks.
- Manage outsourcing partners and self-service requests to ensure the efficient functioning of the IT system including ensuring regular maintenance, back-ups and support to all staff.
- Support global IT initiatives and ensures the adoption of IT technology according to Oxfam requirements and best practice.
- You have a Bachelor's/Master's degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in similar roles - specifically in managing humanitarian and Minimum of Five Years senior Managment Previous experience of managing and developing a team within an INGO setting or similar, with a demonstrated capacity to lead high performing teams, and motivate and develop others
- Demonstrated capacity to manage a team covering at least two of the functional areas (finance, human resources, logistics, IT, fundraising, or admin)
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in partnership
- Mature understanding of transformation derived from direct experience in a development and/or humanitarian context
- Demonstrated experience of strategic leadership and capacity building
- Highly developed financial management, planning and budgeting skills
- Sound understanding of institutional donors and previous experience in producing high quality donor reports
- Sounds understanding of gender and gender mainstreaming approaches
- High level of influencing skills with proven ability to establish credibility at all levels
- Demonstrated track record of improving efficiency and effectiveness in areas of responsibility
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
- The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between € 2962 to € 4557 gross based on 36 hours a week.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.