Amnesty International Nigeria is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
- Amnesty International Nigeria is looking for a media professional / journalist to develop media strategies and plans to help achieve its campaign objectives.
- The role would involve communicating Amnesty's campaigns and projects to national and regional media, and effectively contributing to the development and implementation of strategies to establish a sustained campaign presence across a range of media outlets.
AI Nigeria Purpose
- Amnesty International gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally.
- We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards
- We provide strategic leadership, support and advice to the AI movement globally, fostering AI's contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
- Develop an understanding of campaign issues and build a robust media strategy for Amnesty International Nigeria's campaign and projects.
- Promote research and documentation carried out by Amnesty International Nigeria and develop a strong proactive media strategy.
- Develop a strong response strategy to showcase Amnesty International Nigeria's role as a conscientious watchdog on human rights issues.
- Stay informed about national/international trends, political-economic issues, and other developments relevant to the campaign.
- Track news and information on campaigns and related news, both locally and globally.
- Understand and use media planning and media analysis techniques to develop media strategies.
- Write press releases, advisories in English/specific Nigerian languages; edit campaign reports and blogs.
- Develop a network of media contacts (print & electronic media) and interact with journalists regularly (English/ specific Nigerian languages /regional).
- Create and develop opportunities to profile Amnesty International Nigeria and its campaigns in the media.
- Plan the logistics for, and organise, press conferences and other media events
Skills and Experience Required
- Support for and belief in the aims of Amnesty International
- Experience in developing and implementing media campaign strategies
- Strong news sense
- Ability to write press releases within a short time span, strong editing skills and a flair for writing
- Potential to be a spokesperson for the organisation
- Knowledge of media operations and editorial policy
- Fluency in written and spoken English and/or specific Nigerian languages.
- A good network of contacts in print and electronic media, including at the level of Editors
- Media impact is vital to the success of Amnesty International's international communications work, which relies on credible and visible profiling of Amnesty International to a range of target audiences across a range of diverse cultures and communities.
- This is a full-time position which requires the ability and willingness to regularly work out of office hours including being on call for media enquiries. The position also requires the ability to undertake travel as required.
What Does Success Look Like in this Job?
- Amnesty International is positioned as the leading human rights organization with national media outlets in Nigeria , as well as with international media.
- An over-arching media strategy is developed and implemented for Nigeria
- Amnesty International's profile in Nigeria increases through reactive and proactive media coverage on specific human rights issues and campaigns.
- Amnesty International is established as a credible source of human rights information for the media.
- The Amnesty International movement is kept up-to-date and informed about news and media opportunities on thematic work from Nigeria.
- Planning and implementation of media work is undertaken to agreed deadlines and positive coverage is secured in target media.
- Strong media contacts are developed in Nigeria.
How you Work - Competencies:
Competency: Level: (A, B or C)
- Delivering Results: Delivering our strategic objectives by managing workload and developing plans and priorities. Level B.
- Working with Others: Builds and maintains positive trust based relationships internally and externally to increase effectiveness of self, team, programme and IS to achieve goals. Involves understanding and respecting diversity, being sensitive to the needs of others, managing conflict, team- building. Level B.
- Developing Oneself and Others: Development of self and others to further the AI' goals and personal effectiveness. Involves providing coaching/guidance, giving feedback to build understanding and sharing knowledge with others. Level B.
- Contributing to a dynamic and effective Nigeria: Ability to see change as an integral part of life and to work in ways which facilitate the implementation of change. Level A.
- Making decisions: Ability to gather information, involve others and use judgement to make decisions that are creative, practical and timely. Support others in their decision making. Level A.
- Taking the Initiative: Exercising initiative to change approaches and take responsibility for solving problems and being innovative. Level A.
- Communicating and influencing: Taking responsibility for conveying information, ideas and arguments in a manner that is accurate and timely, taking account of the needs of the recipient and tailoring the approach accordingly. It involves effective listening as much as speaking or writing. Level B.
go to method of application »
- Supports the Director in the establishment and management of the office and strategic allocation of resources
- Contributes to the implementation of the operational plans for the Nigeria National Office
- Assists in the management of staff and financial resources and ensures integrated working of a multi-functional office
- Ensures the application of AI standards of work in areas of responsibility, including on research strategy and methodology, campaigning activities, publications and the media
- Represents AI, in the field and elsewhere, including with government officials and to the media.
- Contributes to the management of the International Secretariat and deputizes for the Director
- The International Secretariat, which operates from a number of sites around the world, gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally.
- We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards.
- We provide strategic leadership, support and advice to the Amnesty International movement globally, fostering Amnesty International’s contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
Reporting to: Amnesty International Nigeria Director.
Posts that this job manages:
- Researchers, volunteers and/or consultants as appropriate
Other key relationships:
- The Deputy Director will support and deputize where required for the Director who represents Amnesty International in Nigeria to the public, government and business leaders, IGOs, media, current and potential donors, partner NGOs and CBOs, and rights-holders and promotes strategic collaboration and partnerships with relevant stakeholders.
Members of the AI Nigeria office work in close collaboration with:
- Africa Regional Advisory Group
- Africa Research and Advocacy Director
- Africa Regional Office Director
- Africa Section Directors
Management and communications:
- Support the Director in their establishment of an organizational vision for AI Nigeria that is aligned with AI’s Strategic Goals and which inspires and motivates internal and external stakeholders
- Use political judgment and expertise to advise and support the Director and broader management group on AI’s substantive human rights work in the country, including emerging issues, trends and crisis situations
- Manage staff and other resources to ensure their most effective use, in line with agreed priorities and policies.
- Promote an organizational culture of integration across programmes and manage the effective integration of relevant staff from the International Secretariat and other offices
- Support the Director in AI external engagements, including to media and government officials on field missions, and in contacts with NGOs, IGOs, and academic and policy research institutes; developing and communicating messages aimed at influencing the appropriate audience
- Support the Director in building and maintaining effective working relationships with the West Africa Regional Office and the wider global International Secretariat in order to identify and exploit opportunities for co-operation, information-sharing and problem solving
- Deputize as agreed, for the Director
Research and advocacy management and strategic oversight:
- Manage the development and implementation of human rights research and advocacy action plans on Nigeria, in line with globally agreed priorities and strategies
- Lead and/or manage field work in order to ensure that political, strategic, technical and security concerns are reviewed and adequately mitigated
- Provides sustained and embedded support to all AI Nigeria researchers through mentoring, training and facilitating trainings on AI’s research standards, embedding transfer of skills, knowledge and networks. Monitors the implementation of these standards and adopts strategies for achieving adherence where gaps are identified.
- Ensure integration of research and action in order to provide an effective, coherent programme of work which delivers tangible outcomes for human rights in conformity with AI’s mission and consistent with its priorities, strategies and standards
Quality Assurance and Reporting:
- Responsible for the quality of research and advocacy outputs, working closely with originators to ensure that research strategy is sound and focused, key methodology, legal and policy issues are addressed, and that the evidence, analysis and conclusions make a compelling case for change
- Ensure compliance with globally developed quality assurance and impact assessment methodologies to ensure that activities meet the organizational standards of timeliness, accuracy, consistency, balance, independence and impartiality
- Ensure the identification and sharing of best practice models and timely reporting against key performance indicators of the entity that measure human rights impact in Nigeria
- Ensure that the team report with sufficient clarity and detail on the impact of their work, including to funders
- Ensure the timely delivery of agreed plans
- Ensure all outputs go through appropriate research, law and policy review
Finance and risk management:
- Work closely with the Office and Finance Manager in setting, monitoring, managing and reporting on budget and expenditure for the work undertaken by their team
- Manage risk assessments and oversee the implementation of security procedures for their teams undertaking missions and travel and other instances of high risk
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties, as part of their responsibility for the collective management of Amnesty International Nigeria, that are within the employee’s skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed
Skills and Experience
Knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge and direct experience of the human rights and political context in Nigeria and an expertise in international human rights legal framework, and relevant regional and national legal frameworks
- In-depth experience of human rights research for advocacy purposes: conducting research using a range of appropriate methodologies, analysing and presenting findings, identifying advocacy targets, and applying research-based analysis to campaigning for human rights change
- Knowledge and experience of field security issues and the ability to manage them appropriately, ideally gained through work in conflict or other high risk situations
- Ability to represent AI in difficult and high-profile environments
- Ability to develop strategies and plans and review them and adapt them as required, exercising and promoting creative thinking
- Experience in leading start-up of operation and building a successful office, ideally of a civil society organization
- Demonstrated ability to understand and align strategic thinking with operational delivery
- Able to identify opportunities and threats and to recommend appropriate mitigating action; ability to make appropriate recommendations in relation to an organization’s interests and priorities
- Excellent political judgement
- Understands and has demonstrated managerial level responsibility
- Demonstrated willingness to be accountable and to receive and give performance related feedback
- Ability to lead and manage staff and financial resources including setting, managing and monitoring plans and budgets for their team
- Experience of working under pressure, managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities
- Written and verbal fluency in English must be demonstrated at interview and through publications or other written materials
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies
Personal style and attributes:
- Ability to direct and collaborate with others to achieve results
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a broad range of people across the movement and externally to establish support and garner engagement
- Ability to design and implement effective systems for tracking schedules, work plans, and priorities for top level management
- Takes ownership of own responsibilities, honours commitments, supports staff, provides direction while taking responsibility for delegated assignments
- Challenges and confronts conflict, brokering solutions in order to achieve goals
- Uses new approaches, theory and technologies to develop innovative service solutions
- Ability to engage and influence, utilizing a challenging but respectful approach
How you Work - Competencies:
- The IS Behavior Framework focuses on how we work rather than what our job is designed to do. It articulates the behaviors that are expected from a group of professionals who are working effectively together.
- Delivering results
- Working with others
- Developing oneself and others
- Contributing to a dynamic and effective International Secretariat
- Making decisions
- Taking the initiative
- Communicating and influencing
- Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
- Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their applications and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale