Press Officer at Amnesty International
Posted on: 10 May, 2016
Deadline: 20 May, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Amnesty International
Amnesty International Nigeria is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
- Amnesty International Nigeria is looking for a media professional / journalist to develop media strategies and plans to help achieve its campaign objectives.
- The role would involve communicating Amnesty's campaigns and projects to national and regional media, and effectively contributing to the development and implementation of strategies to establish a sustained campaign presence across a range of media outlets.
AI Nigeria Purpose
- Amnesty International gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally.
- We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards
- We provide strategic leadership, support and advice to the AI movement globally, fostering AI's contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
- Develop an understanding of campaign issues and build a robust media strategy for Amnesty International Nigeria's campaign and projects.
- Promote research and documentation carried out by Amnesty International Nigeria and develop a strong proactive media strategy.
- Develop a strong response strategy to showcase Amnesty International Nigeria's role as a conscientious watchdog on human rights issues.
- Stay informed about national/international trends, political-economic issues, and other developments relevant to the campaign.
- Track news and information on campaigns and related news, both locally and globally.
- Understand and use media planning and media analysis techniques to develop media strategies.
- Write press releases, advisories in English/specific Nigerian languages; edit campaign reports and blogs.
- Develop a network of media contacts (print & electronic media) and interact with journalists regularly (English/ specific Nigerian languages /regional).
- Create and develop opportunities to profile Amnesty International Nigeria and its campaigns in the media.
- Plan the logistics for, and organise, press conferences and other media events
Skills and Experience Required
- Support for and belief in the aims of Amnesty International
- Experience in developing and implementing media campaign strategies
- Strong news sense
- Ability to write press releases within a short time span, strong editing skills and a flair for writing
- Potential to be a spokesperson for the organisation
- Knowledge of media operations and editorial policy
- Fluency in written and spoken English and/or specific Nigerian languages.
- A good network of contacts in print and electronic media, including at the level of Editors
- Media impact is vital to the success of Amnesty International's international communications work, which relies on credible and visible profiling of Amnesty International to a range of target audiences across a range of diverse cultures and communities.
- This is a full-time position which requires the ability and willingness to regularly work out of office hours including being on call for media enquiries. The position also requires the ability to undertake travel as required.
What Does Success Look Like in this Job?
- Amnesty International is positioned as the leading human rights organization with national media outlets in Nigeria , as well as with international media.
- An over-arching media strategy is developed and implemented for Nigeria
- Amnesty International's profile in Nigeria increases through reactive and proactive media coverage on specific human rights issues and campaigns.
- Amnesty International is established as a credible source of human rights information for the media.
- The Amnesty International movement is kept up-to-date and informed about news and media opportunities on thematic work from Nigeria.
- Planning and implementation of media work is undertaken to agreed deadlines and positive coverage is secured in target media.
- Strong media contacts are developed in Nigeria.
How you Work - Competencies:
Competency: Level: (A, B or C)
- Delivering Results: Delivering our strategic objectives by managing workload and developing plans and priorities. Level B.
- Working with Others: Builds and maintains positive trust based relationships internally and externally to increase effectiveness of self, team, programme and IS to achieve goals. Involves understanding and respecting diversity, being sensitive to the needs of others, managing conflict, team- building. Level B.
- Developing Oneself and Others: Development of self and others to further the AI' goals and personal effectiveness. Involves providing coaching/guidance, giving feedback to build understanding and sharing knowledge with others. Level B.
- Contributing to a dynamic and effective Nigeria: Ability to see change as an integral part of life and to work in ways which facilitate the implementation of change. Level A.
- Making decisions: Ability to gather information, involve others and use judgement to make decisions that are creative, practical and timely. Support others in their decision making. Level A.
- Taking the Initiative: Exercising initiative to change approaches and take responsibility for solving problems and being innovative. Level A.
- Communicating and influencing: Taking responsibility for conveying information, ideas and arguments in a manner that is accurate and timely, taking account of the needs of the recipient and tailoring the approach accordingly. It involves effective listening as much as speaking or writing. Level B.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their applications and CVs to email@example.com
Note: Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
- Recent Jobs from Amnesty International
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Deputy Director at Amnesty International
- Know More About Amnesty InternationalSimilar Jobs
- Social Media Supervisor at Carlcare Development
- Knowledge Management and Learning, M&E and Communications Manager at CARE
- Content Manager at Human Capacity Development Consultants (HCDC)
- Head of Performance Marketing - Jumia at Jumia Nigeria
- Creative Managers at Torydoes Nigeria Limited
- Konga Travel and Tours Digital Officer at Konga Online Shopping Limited
- Konga Travel and Tours Brand Manager at Konga Online Shopping Limited
- Corporate Communications Officer at KraksTV