If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
USAID's Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is a leading global provider of objective, evidence-based food security information and analysis. FEWS NET collaborates with international, regional and national partners to provide timely and rigorous early warning and analysis of potential, emerging, and/or evolving food security issues in order to inform decisions and guide response. More information on FEWS NET can be fOUJ1d at www.fews.net.
Chemonics International Inc., based in Washington, DC, has been contracted by USAID to manage FEWS NET technical and field activities. Chemonics seeks applications from qualified and experienced professionals for two positions: FEWS NET Nigeria Nutrition Officer and for FEWS NET National Food Security Specialist-Nigeria.
The FEWS NET Nigeria Nutrition Officer will support the following activities:
- Enhanced nutrition support in northeast Nigeria with the objectives of better understanding the current nutrition and mortality situation and improving decision support
- Efficient and effective monitoring of nutrition outcomes nation-wide in Nigeria
- Effective integration of nutrition monitoring in food security and early warining analysis
- The Nutrition Officer will work under the supervision of the Nigeria National Technical
- Manager (NTM) in close collaboration with Action Against Hunger-Nigeria and FEWS NET Nigeria's country team, as well as with national and regional partners to monitor nutrition in Nigeria and contribute timely early waming analysis.
- S/He will sit in Action Against Hunger's office in Nigeria.
- The Nutrition Officer will be required to travel frequently within Nigeria, and some international travel in sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and the United States may be required.
Minimum qualifications and selection criteria
- Advanced university degree in nutrition, public health with focus on nutrition, or related focus
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the field of public health, nutrition, food security and/or early warning systems in Nigeria
- Excellent analytical skills
- Experience facilitating nutrition/health trainings assessments (i.e. screenings, surveys etc.) in the field
- Experience facilitating nutrition/health trainings
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, statistical analysis software, such as SPSS or STATA)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English, proficiency in one or more national languages preferred
- Previous experience supervising SMART surveys is desirable
go to method of application »
The FEWS NET National Food Security Specialist-Nigeria (FSS) will support the following activities:
- Efficient, focused food security monitoring, early warning analysis, and response planning
- Effective communication of this analysis to partners and decision-makers through high quality reports and briefings
- Capacity strengthening and network management
- The FSS will work under the supervision of the Nigeria National Technical Manager (NTM) in close collaboration with FEWS NET Nigeria's country team, and with national and regional partners to monitor food security in Nigeria and contribute timely early warning analysis.
- The FSS will be required to travel extensively within Nigeria, and some international travel in sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and the United States may be required.
Minimum qualifications and selection criteria
- A degree in a discipline that is directly relevant to or provides central skills in food security analysis, including economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, or agroclimatology;
- Five years of relevant country or regional experience in early warning/food security information systems, food security analysis, or other related fields
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- Experience effectively working and coordinating with partners and stakeholders
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout Nigeria
- Experience conducting field assessments and knowledge of standard data collection methodology
- Fluency and/or proficiency in one or more local languages preferred
- GIS applications and mapping skills preferred
Method of Application
The full Vacancy Announcement for the above two positions can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies
- Candidates interested in the nutrition officer position should send their CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com by October 21, 2015.
- Candidates interested in the Food Security Specialist position should send their CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2015.
- The Nutrition Officer position will be co-located with Action Against Hunger in Abuja or Maiduguri.
- The National Food Security Specialist position will be based in the FEWS NET office in Abuja, Nigeria.
Please note the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Supporting documents will be required while short listed.