Paradigm Initiative is a social enterprise that builds an ICT-enabled support system and advocates digital rights in order to improve livelihoods for under-served youth. Our programs include digital inclusion programs – such as the Life Skills. ICT. Financial Readiness. Entrepreneurship (LIFE) training program and Techtiary program – and a digital rights program, Magoyi. Across our offices in Nigeria (Aba, Abuja, Ajegunle, Kano, Yaba), Malawi, Cameroon, and beyond, as part of a pan-African expansion plan, we work to connect under-served youth with improved livelihoods through our digital inclusion and digital rights programs.
Google Policy Fellow, East/Southern Africa
Paradigm Initiative is recruiting to fill a vacant Google Policy Fellow position in the organisation. The Fellow will be working on the Digital Rights Program of Paradigm Initiative, with focus on East and Southern Africa. The fellowship will run for six months from May 2018 to November 2018.
The Fellow will have the opportunity to work at the forefront of debates on digital rights policy, broadband and access policy, content regulation, copyright and creativity, consumer privacy, open government, government surveillance, data security, data innovation, free expression and more.
The Fellow will lead Paradigm Initiative’s Magoyi (digital rights-focused) program in East and Southern Africa, with a strong focus on communication and advocacy; training; stakeholder engagement; research and publications; and policy.
Director of Programs
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide expertise and counselling on regional and global policies in accordance with international best practices in order to ensure maximum output
- Participate in public hearings of ICT-related policies and ensure contribution/inputs
- Monitor digital rights violations in the region and work with a team to document, communicate and seek redress for violations, where necessary
- Fund (and other resources’) mobilization for the Digital Rights program
- Establish, manage, maintain and review programs and operations
- Strategically develop key policies that enhance organizational growth and development
- Engage relevant national, regional and global institutions on digital rights issues for East and Southern Africa
- Take decisions that promote the organization’s procedural standards
- Disseminate information on digital rights issues and take initiatives on new trends so as to add value to the organization
- Consistently review, monitor and evaluate policies that support growth and development
- Conduct research on policies and procedural standards in order to achieve goals and objectives
- Manage and maximize team output and performance, where necessary
- Plan and develop policies that support equity, transparency and accountability
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in Law, Public Policy, Public Administration or relevant body of knowledge along with relevant experience
- Knowledgeable about digital rights and current policies/trends that promote ICT-related growth and development
- Experience in policy planning, research, implementation, program monitoring and program evaluation
Key Result Areas
- Train media, civil society, activists, at-risk citizens, policymakers and relevant stakeholders on digital rights in the East/Southern Africa region
- Advocate for, and communicate around, digital rights issues in the East/Southern Africa region
- Engage relevant national, regional and global institutions for digital rights issues in the East/Southern Africa region
- Promote best practice policy efforts and instruments in the East/Southern Africa region
- Complete relevant research and publication of timely policy briefs, reports, blogs, articles, etc, for digital rights issues in the East/Southern Africa region
- Mobilize funds for the Digital Rights program, especially in the East/Southern Africa region
- Periodic analysis and review of policies, strategies and procedures
- Develop and implement policies that enhance the organization’s output and services
- Undertake other tasks in accordance with job expectations
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.