The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
RH Community Mobilizer
Location: Konduga, Borno
Reports to: Reproductive Health Community Mobilization Officer
Scope of Work
- The Community Mobilizer is responsible for the implementation of educational and promotional activities as well as conducting all community awareness / mobilization activities related to Reproductive Health (RH) for women, girls, men and boys in Konduga LGA.
- He / she will supervise a network of community volunteers and traditional birth attendants and work closely with the other members of the reproductive health team, in Konduga.
- Design and lead efforts to improve community awareness of reproductive health issues
- Implement community mobilization efforts to improve women, girls, men and boys’ access to and use of reproductive health services.
Under the supervision of Reproductive Health officer, the responsibilities of the Community Mobilizer includes but are not limited to the following:
- Community Activities
- Participation in the design, plan and input to the work-plans, based on identified trends and needs.
- Implementation of community mobilization activities to specifically access “hard to reach” and vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Organize culturally sensitive educational and promotional activities to raise awareness on RH topics/services, including:
- Family Planning
- Mother and Neonatal health, Antenatal Care, and Postnatal Care ,
- Awareness of STIs and infection prevention
- Referral and guidance for survivors of sexual assault.
- Contribute to the development of a variety of health education material and tools to fit the context.
- Mobilize the community, women and girls, women’s groups, community groups etc. to increase RH awareness and service utilization, together with RH and GBV teams.
- Liaise with midwives and community health workers to track and monitor women/clients targeted by the program.
- Ensure the safe and confidential referral of identified survivors of sexual assault to GBV services.
- Organize meetings with community representatives, and target groups as needed.
- Engage community leaders and women's groups in raising awareness on Reproductive Health.
- Participate in the recruitment of community health workers.
- Training of community health workers (CHWs) on RH topics/service promotion, hygiene promotion, waste management, infection prevention etc.
- Supervise community volunteers and traditional birth attendants during planned community activities.
- Participate in community workshops, meetings or any discussions on reproductive health.
- Participate in the development and translation of all messages in the most appropriate language.
- Active participation in the regular RH/WPE meetings.
- Monitoring responsibilities
- Keep record of all the health education/promotional sessions (disaggregated by gender/ age/ IDP/Host etc).
- Compile weekly summary of community mobilization activities
- Responsible for compiling timely monthly community mobilization activity reports and data compilation.
- Other duties
- Keep a record of distributed/used materials and provides a monthly stock report.
- Ensure non-disclosure of any information whatsoever about practices and IRC activities to any other person or organization without permission, except in the normal performance of the service
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Gender requirement (if applicable): Choose an item.
- Qualified Health Educator with Diploma in Nursing or Community Health.
Skills and Experience:
- University or Higher Diploma/Degree in Social Sciences, nursing or community Health or Secondary Certificate with at least a minimum of four years of experience working with local communities.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a health education/promotion and community project, with displaced population is a plus.
- Familiarity with the local context: language, culture, etc.
- Sensitivity and diplomacy to provide education on a variety of sensitive RH topics
- Good communication skills
- Spoken and written English and local language (Hausa, Kanuri, Shuwa or Bura)
- Basic computer Literacy: Word and Excel
- Must be willing to work in an environment with limited resources with poor living conditions and difficult situations
- Able to work remains productive under difficult and high pressure situations with the ability to prioritize effectively, and respects and adheres to deadlines.
- The positions is located in Konduga the situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, and Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their Applications addressed to the “Country Director IRC” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
- We are accepting only online applications for this position
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview
- All applications must include: Position and location as subject.