If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
Senior Programme Manager - Eye Health
Job Type: 24 months fixed term contract
- The Senior Programme Manager-Eye Health is responsible for programmatic management and implementation & the Eye Health programme in Nigeria focussing initially on Childhood Blindness in Kaduna, Sokoto and Zamfara States, and then expand to support review of Sightsavers previously supported eye health programmes in Nigeria with the long term plan of developing a wider eye health programme to cover a number of states in Nigeria.
- The responsibilities will also include coordination and delivery of project targets which entails sensitisation, health promotion, advocate for eye health policy integration into school health policy/programme, training, low vision and refraction, referrals and surgeries
- In addition, he/she should be able to identify and contribute to project growth and development (scalability) in collaboration with partners and colleagues
- He/She will provide technical support for the review of the previous eye health project in Nigeria.
- Participate in strategic planning processes to successfully drive the direction and delivery of cost-effective eye health services
- Provide effective management, coordination and technical advice to ensure the implementation of eye health services with special focus on childhood blindness.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, lead the development of country level action and implementation plans for eye health with special focus on childhood blindness, development of an eye health plan for Nigeria and other strategic plans as agreed with Sightsavers Global Technical Lead, Eye Health and Country Director.
- Provide effective management, coordination, technical advice and resource allocation necessary to support eye health in Nigeria
- Identify, develop and evaluate new approaches and tools for programme implementation,
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Lead on supporting implementing partners in developing a system for management information system, monitoring and evaluating programme performance.
- Provide direction and support to assist country research teams and help them to identify operational research opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of eye health delivery in Nigeria.
Advocacy and Strategic Alliances:
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with a variety of partners and other stakeholders at national and international level in order to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility.
- Represent Sightsavers at appropriate national/regional/global fora
- Ensure programme information flow is maintained across the Sightsavers' country teams and directorates, the various partners-federal and states' Ministries of Health, tertiary institutions and other key partners.
- Provide assistance in identifying possible funding sources to support programme delivery and work with Sightsavers fund raising teams, other colleagues and partners to secure those funds.
- Assist project teams and various partners - federal and states' Ministries of Health and tertiary institutions in disseminating information on eye health activities, studies, research and lessons learned at national and international level.
- Work in close collaboration with key Sightsavers colleagues and project partners to ensure that projects conduct research and publish findings in international peer review publication.
- Degree in Medicine, preferably an Ophthalmologist or Postgraduate Degree in Public Health, Sciences or related disciplines
- Minimum of 5 years of Programme/Project management, ideally in an INGO environment
- Significant experience of strategic programme development.
- Technical knowledge on eye health in Nigeria.
- Experience of managing an eye care programme in Africa, ideally in an international context
- A demonstrated record of accomplishment in developing and managing public health programmes.
- Understanding of the health system in Nigeria
- Experience of advocacy
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation and research
- Experience of logistics and supply chain management.
- Local Terms & Conditions apply
Method of Application
Applicants should please download and return the completed "Application Form" and "Equal Opportunities Form" as two separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download the Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here to download the Equal Opportunities Form (Ms Word)
Note: As an equal opportunities employer we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.