Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Job Type: - Indefinite Period
Duty Station - MSF OCA, Anka Office
Main objective and responsibility of the position
Provide mainly inpatient medical care to paediatric patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF guidelines in nutrition, lead and pediatrics g, and following MSF values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions. Will also provide consultations in the outpatient staff clinic
Description of the responsibilities/activities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills in diagnosis and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Provide quality health care to staff and their dependents registered in the staff clinic.
- Proceed to prompt referral of patients/staff from staff clinic for secondary health care when needed.
- Ensure absolute confidentiality of medical data and patients’ information.
- To keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, ensuring caretakers have understood and consent to the plan.
- Follow up the evolution of all ITFC and IPD patients, through daily visits, consultations, examinations, and rehydration reviews, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols. Decide – in collaboration with other doctors – whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments and inform their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with accepted hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness medical error or the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing internal training as necessary of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care, as well as participation in personal internal or external training available.
- Participate actively in mortality reviews, clinical audits, continued medical education programmes, lead and nutrition medical activities, antibiotic stewardship and infection control activities and other medical related activities of the project.
- Know and ensure all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensure professional confidentiality is respected.
- Medical Doctor Diploma
- Desirable diploma in Tropical Medicine
- Experience Essential: 2 years’ experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Desirable: experience in Tropical Medicine, Pediatrics, A&E, Infectious Diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, General Medicine.
- Languages Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and Hausa (verbal)
Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
Competencies: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service, Confidentiality,
Ability to follow procedural pattern, Ability to multitask, Ability to promote the values of MSF, Empathy
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Send in your application by clicking the Apply button below