The World Bank Group - Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2017, the WBG committed $59 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $19 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188 member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
Extended Term (ET) Consultant
Job #: req1408
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- The Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria (ANRiN) project, with US$ 232 million financing from the International Development Association (IDA) and Global Financing Facility (GFF), aims to increase utilization of quality, cost-effective nutrition services for pregnant and lactating women, adolescent girls and children under five years of age in select areas of the Nigeria’s territory. ANRiN is the first 5-year slice of a longer-term engagement of the World Bank in Nigeria for improving nutrition outcomes in the country.
- It will be implemented in 12 high malnutrition burden states that represent all six geographical zones of the country.
- The project is fully results based and leverages performance-based contracts with non-state actors for service delivery, performance-based financing of public sector health facilities and disbursement linked indicators (DLIs) for strengthening the stewardship role of federal and state ministries of health to plan, budget for, implement, monitor and learn from large-scale nutrition programs.
- The Partnership for Accelerating Nutrition Results in Nigeria (PANRiN) and a grant each from the GFF and Power of Nutrition MDTFs will support provision of timely and high quality technical assistance to the implementing agencies of the ANRiN project.
- The objective is to support the Task Team Leader (TTL) of the ANRiN project and its supporting MDTFs with ongoing, high-quality, operational support responsive to the needs of these engagements.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Extended Term Consultant will work closely with the Task Team for ANRiN under the guidance of the TTL, to facilitate fast-tracked implementation of ANRiN with timely technical assistance through the three MDTFs.
The ETC will carry out the following Tasks:
- Liaise closely with internal stakeholders of the Bank including the HNP Global Practice (HNP GP, GHN07), Country Management Unit (CMU) and Task Team members, including fiduciary, safeguards, legal to maintain clear and open channels of communication on project implementation progress
- Prepare for, participate in and contribute to project related interactions with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to drafting, review, presentation and filing of project-related technical and operational documentation, reports, updates
- Follow-up consistently with internal project support functions and federal and state level implementing agencies for seamless project progress
- Support Task Team to monitor implementation activities at federal and state levels (work plans, tasks, fiduciary related- financial management, procurement and disbursements and safeguards due-diligence)
- Prepare for and participate in implementation support and review missions of ANRiN including field visits
- Support Task Team to enhance the implementation capacities of the federal and state level implementing agencies through facilitated training, mentoring and review support
- Support documentation and dissemination of best practices and project learnings for various audiences at relevant forums
- Any other tasks that the TTL may request for facilitating implementation progress of ANRiN
Multi-Donor Trust Funds (PANRiN, GFF and PON):
- Support TTL in preparing for, participating in and contributing to the finalization of TF supported work programs in consultation with respective Donor Committees
- Support TTL to ensure technical, operational and fiduciary due-diligence in the deployment of agreed work programs for the above-mentioned Trust Funds supporting ANRiN
- Prepare for, participate in and contribute to Trust Fund related interactions with external and internal stakeholders
- Contribute to drafting, review, presentation and filing of TF-related technical and operational documentation, reports, updates
- Support TTL to procure and manage vendors/consultants for timely, high quality, technical assistance to federal and state level implementing agencies of ANRiN and review their deliverables
- Any other tasks that the TTL may request to facilitate full leveraging of the TFs for facilitated implementation progress of ANRiN
- A Post Graduate degree in Social Sciences, Public Policy, International Development, Management or other relevant field - OR- equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience of working in the HD sectors (Health, Education, Social Protection) and knowledge of government structures and counterparts in Nigeria will be a specific advantage
- Demonstrated technical, management and supervisory skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Good computer skills (MS Office suite)
- Capacity for independently developing plans and actioning them
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and tight timelines in a high-performance team
- Interact persuasively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of working on a World Bank supported project
- Willingness to travel extensively within Nigeria.
Method of Application
- The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years.
- The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified? Go to World Bank career website on worldbankgroup.csod.com to apply