UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/066
Position Title: Finance Associate
Position number: N/A
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: 2 months
Duty Stations: Maiduguri
Supervisor: Finance/Admin Officer
Proposed Starting: ASAP
Date of Issue: 26 October 2018
Deadline for Applications: 01 November 2018
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the supervision of the Admin/Finance Officer, the Finance Associate will assist with the processing of financial transactions and have frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the
- office and with bank officials to exchange information related to the functions of UNHCR bank account maintained by the bank. The incumbent will ensure the following results are achieved;
- financial transactions and reconciliations are processed in line with relevant policies and procedures. A smooth operational work is ensured through timely payments, cash replenishment
- and monitoring of expenditure and budget balance. He / she will also ensure financial reports are timely provided as per financial guidelines.
- The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day
- transactions and reports.
- Select and enter data from a wide variety of documents, verifying accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Advise and assist staff members, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, calculate and authorize
- payments due for claims and services.
- Maintain liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters
- pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related fields.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience.
- High level of IT affinity (MS Office applications, People Soft).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge and work experience of MSRP Finance applications.
- Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR Financial rules and procedures.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the
- functions of the position.
- Working knowledge of another relevant UN language.
Method of Application
HOW TO APPLY
Please be informed that this is a two-step application method for quality assurance reasons.
1. Apply Online:
Interested candidates should apply by clicking HERE to create a profile before applying through the
Administrative Associate – G6 – Yola (best viewed on Google Chrome)
Senior Programme Assistant – G5 – Maiduguri (best viewed on Google Chrome)
Supply Associate – G6 – Abuja - 10029702 (best viewed on Google Chrome)
Driver – G2 – Maiduguri (best viewed on Google Chrome)
Senior Supply Assistant – G5 – Abuja - 10026310 (best viewed on Google Chrome)
Finance Associate – G6 – Maiduguri (best viewed on Google Chrome)
2. Email Your Application:
a. Kindly prepare an application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UNHCR Personal History Form (P11)
b. Submit the application, resume and Personal history form (P11) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
The UNHCR personal History form can be downloaded from www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc.
Kindly make sure you use the UNHCR personal History form.
Kindly note that a written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency based interview.
THERE IS NO NEED TO SEND OTHER CERTIFICATES WITH THE APPLICATION AT THIS STAGE.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.