Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss NGO focusing on child rights. It is active in more than 30 countries with development and emergency projects. Tdh focuses its action on the two following areas of intervention: health and protection of particularly vulnerable children. Modern management and communication tools ensure the quality of Tdh’s projects. The Foundation constantly aims to improve its services.
Deputy WASH Project Manager
- The Deputy Project Manager, under the delegation and the supervision of the Project Manager, is responsible for the daily proper implementation of the TdH’s WASH operations.
TdH’s WASH Programs:
- TdH is currently working in 2 locations, Mafa (Mafa LGA) and Rann (Kala Balge LGA) by providing to both IDPs and Returnees: sustained access to safe water and adequate sanitation facilities, as well as NFI kits completed by Hygiene promotion sensitization.
- In Mafa in particular (since October 2017):
- Tdh has constructed latrines and showers, distributed basic hygiene kits, installed hand-washing points, created and strengthened local WASH committees (to facilitate community-based maintenance and operation of WASH infrastructure), maintained and repaired latrines and showers already existing, as well as diseminated hygiene promotion messages towards the population.
In Rann in particular (since June 2018):
- Sanitation: Installation of hand-washing points; building of showers and latrines, desludging or maintenance/repairs of latrines; Drainage infrastructure in flood-prone areas.
- Water Quality: Bucket chlorination in all water points in town
- Hygiene Promotion: Distribution of basic hygiene NFIs, distribution of AWD kits, Promotion of hygiene messages.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Ensure the daily implementation and the monitoring of the project(s):
- S/He implements the daily WASH activities in close coordination with the WASH PM and in direct collaboration with the WASH Officers
- S/He organizes, schedules and coordinates the WASH activities and the team’s work on a weekly basis.
- S/He monitors closely the implementation of activities at field level with site visits on a daily basis.
- S/He supervises the work schedule of the team leaders and provides them support when needed.
- S/He ensures the timely implementation of the project(s).
- S/He monitors the results achievements and indicators as per indicated in the logical framework.
- S/He develops monitoring and evaluation tools related with her/his project(s) and updates TdH project monitoring tools (PMT) on a weekly basis.
- S/He shares about the work progress with the WASH PM on a daily basis or when needed.
- S/He contributes to propose adjustments of the strategy regarding project activities if needed.
- S/He contributes to ensures proper coordination and communication with the different stakeholders (local authorities, Ministries …).
- S/He contributes to ensures that all project(s) documents are correctly filled and filed.
Contribute to the development of TdH activities in her/his sector of intervention:
- S/He participates in the needs assessments in collaboration with the WASH PM to develop other projects.
- S/He works on concept notes and proposals writing in collaboration with the WASH PM.
Manage the operational team:
- S/He contributes to launch and bring to fruition the recruitment of the operational team under her/his responsibility.
- S/He contributes to ensure the administrative HR management of his/her team (daily attendance, leaves management) in collaboration with the HR department.
- S/He contributes to ensure that her/his team complies with TdH’s internal rules (disciplinary management when needed).
- S/He contributes to ensure a regular appraisal process for her/his team and supports her/his team in building their capacities (update of job descriptions/terms of reference, training, definition and follow up of clear objectives).
- S/He contributes to ensure a constant monitoring of her/his team (general and technical).
- S/He contributes to implement and follow up safety and security rules for her/his team and transmits all safety and security information to his/her supervisor (for the team members in the governorates: the field operation manager is in charge of this task).
- S/He contributes to ensure a good communication, coordination and information level within the team through regular coordination meetings, formal reporting (or other if needed).
Manage the logistical and financial aspects of the project:
- In coordination with the Logistics Department, s/he support the WASHPM to prepare and follow up the procurement plan for her/his project(s).
- S/He support the WASHPM to issue and follow up procurements for the project needs in coordination with the Logistics Department and the Admin/Finance Department (preparation of purchase requests, checking of invoices and of payments).
- S/He contributes to ensure that the operational follow up is up-to-date and crosscheck it with the budget follow up (committed expenses) on a monthly basis.
- S/He participates in the monthly Budget Follow Up meeting in order to analyze the budget follow up and propose solutions if needed (reallocation, modification of activities, project extension…) in coordination with the Admin/Finance Department, the WASH PM and the Technical Coordinators.
- S/He supports the WASHPM to prepare the cash forecast on a monthly basis in coordination with the Admin/Finance Departments.
Represent TdH for the project(s):
- S/He participates in coordination meetings related to her/his field of work.
- S/He contributes to ensure representation of TdH (with her/his team, at field level) among partners, donors and different authorities for the areas which s/he is responsible for.
- S/He support the WASHPM to prepare and organize field visits with donors or local authorities when needed in coordination with the other Departments.
Ensure the internal and external reporting of the project:
- S/He support the WASHPM to provide internal reporting on activities according to TdH internal tools.
- S/He support the WASHPM to prepare external reporting according to the needs (reports to local authorities, donors) in coordination with the other Departments.
- University Degree, in related field to Water Engineering, Environmental Eng, Civil Engineering, Sanitation, Geology, or any other filed related to water sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Minimal 3 year of experience in implementation of WASH project
- Extensive working knowledge and experience in team management and supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of project management and leadership
- Computer proficiency in MS Office suite and Outlook is mandatory
- Required: Proactive, autonomy, rigorous, organized, planning, analytical, clear communication, work under pressure, ability to facilitate change, persuade and negotiate to reach acceptable compromise/solutions among all levels in the organization
- Desirable: willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri (written and spoken)
- Alignment with the values, vision and mission of Tdh
Method of Application
5.00pm; 25th October, 2018.
Applicants should submit copies of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and national ID card and reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org The position must be clearly indicated in the Subject of the Mail.
Note: Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted.