The British Council is the world's leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
Role Type: Advisory, Policy and Expertise
Pay Band: PB4
Duration: Fixed Term (6 months)
Reports to: Facilities Manager, Lagos & Port Harcourt
- Working directly with the Facilities Manager, to pro-actively contribute to the achievement of the British Council objectives by supporting the effective and efficient planning, management, delivery and evaluation of facilities, the office and residential estate, office vehicles and maintenance of an appropriate working and living environment for staff and visitors
- The post holder will have office and estates maintenance experience in an organisational context and will be willing and able to provide hands on technical support in the role
- The Facilities Unit in the British Council Nigeria, under the leadership of Director Operations, supports the operations of the British Council through effective and efficient planning and management of all its facilities/resources
- The post holder will be part of a strong Business Services team across the Nigeria operation with specific day-to-day responsibilities for the Lagos estate, where we currently employ approximately 70 staff with a plan to grow in the coming year.
Working with the Facilities Manager, the post holder will be responsible for the following:
- Facilities Services and Premises Project Delivery:
- Assist Facilities Team in-country to effectively and efficiently manage the Lagos facilities/estate as defined in the Regional and Country Delivery Plans enabling delivery of all key sectors of the British Council programme.
- Responsibility for the pro-active maintenance management of Lagos office and compound undertaking daily checks on facilities and equipment to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness. Ensure the maintenance of all office buildings, grounds and utilities and that any repairs or defects are reported and recorded in an accurate and timely way. Agree a weekly minor maintenance schedule with the Facilities Manager and complete the repairs on time and to standard.
- Maintain the office and estate by ensuring security and optimum delivery of customer care services in Facilities Unit.
- Support the Facilities Manager in communicating the objectives of Projects to relevant stakeholders and staff.
- Responsible for day to day coordination of all facilities services and project activities for the Facilities team, ensuring relevant and necessary report to the Facilities Manager where necessary.
- Where appropriate, assisting the Facilities Manager with the coordination of other facilities and building improvement activities and liaise with relevant internal and external stakeholders and staff to ensure effective conclusion.
- Ensure that storage areas are kept tidy, clean at all time and items are easily accessible.
- Ensure that all furniture, equipment, stationery and documents are stored safely, securely and are not subject to damage.
- Support all administrative processes relating to British Council visitors’ arrival into and departure from the country.
- Effective planning and management of vehicles and drivers to ensure optimum transport support for British Council operations.
- Management of fuel supplies (offices, residences and vehicles) to ensure efficient consumption and minimise risk of fuel loss through fraud.
Financial Planning and Management:
- Assist with effective facilities management planning, budget management and business risk requirements to ensure expenditure and other targets are achieved effectively
- Where necessary, the post holder may be required to support the Facilities Manager in overall operational budget monitoring, management and reporting.
Events Support and Management:
- Support the management and delivery of events for all the British Council Nigeria activities, ensuring all facilities, equipment, health and safety aspects are appropriate, set up and tested in a timely way, well in advance of the event. In delivering this, post holder will work collaboratively with the business unit responsible for the event and manage external contractors, overseeing their work on site
- This includes management of transport and travel plans, event management, venue hire, liaison with service contractors, liaison and partnering with business and programme teams.
The above highlights the main duties and responsibilities; it is not an exhaustive list. The post holder will be expected to perform different tasks in relation to the role as necessitated by changing business objectives of the organisation or emergency situations.
The post holder will work with a range of stakeholders, both internal and external.
- All Lagos office staff including senior management, SSA & UK Facilities Team
- Facilities contacts and contractors including the British Deputy High Commission (BDHC) Technical Works Group (TWG).
- Post-Secondary qualification
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience:
- Proven knowledge and experience of facilities service delivery in a reputable firm
- Able to prioritise tasks, demonstrate professional attitude and adhere to timescales/deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly, in English, in written and spoken English
- Demonstrate an understanding of health and safety in the work environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of Customer service in a facilities environment
- Proficient in Microsoft outlook, word & excel.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Shortlisted candidates will need to demonstrate that they meet the required standard through the APTIS test which will be administered as part of the recruitment and selection exercise.
Click here to download Job Details (pdf)
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)
Click here to download BC Core Skills (pdf)