International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility for rapid response to emergencies. International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Job ID: #1754341
The Nutrition Coordinator is responsible for leading the nutrition team and providing technical support and capacity building of the team to successfully plan, implement and monitor International Medical Corps nutrition program activities in Nigeria. The Coordinator must have the ability to organize and support all aspects of the nutrition program including liaising with the Ministry of Health, other international and national agencies, and donors.
The Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that the nutrition programs in the country are implemented in line with the ministry’s guidelines and international humanitarian standards and donor guidelines. Additionally, the Nutrition Coordinator will work closely with the Country Director and Emergency Program Coordinator to provide input into proposal development and country level strategies as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead on nutrition assessments and surveys in existing and in potential new areas for program expansion in North East Nigeria and feed assessments results into proposals
- Coordinate nutrition and food security/ assistance programs implementation ensuring targets and indicators on all active projects are constantly monitored to avoid deviation
- Work with the Emergency Program Coordinator and Country Director to identify existing project implementation gaps and actively identify and pursue new opportunities for nutrition and food security programming especially in Boko Haram affected areas in North East Nigeria
- Assess the training needs of nutrition staff; develop a training program to meet these needs; conduct nutrition training for project nutrition staff and MOH counterparts implementing nutrition programs, focusing on all aspects of community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), IYCF, food security, etc.
- Establish and strengthen nutrition monitoring activities and train nutrition staff (IMC, MOH, and local NGO) in case detection and referral mechanisms
- Conduct and train nutrition staff on surveys including SMART surveys, causal analysis, and other assessments of nutritional status of target groups.
- Ensure that the implementation of the nutrition and food security programs conform to internationally accepted standards and country guidelines
- Monitor program impact and ensure that program data is valid and relevant, and used to inform program development.
- Demonstrated understanding of the underlying causes of malnutrition and ensuring that the IMC project is addressing these underlying causes
- Demonstrated understanding of multi-sectoral approach to malnutrition and ensuring that nutrition project beneficiaries are linked with other sector interventions and provide guidance to staff on the integration of a nutrition component into other sectors as appropriate
- Actively participate and represent International Medical Corps in nutrition and food security sector coordination forums, discussions and activities, serve as an International Medical Corps nutrition and food security sector resource person, and display technical and organizational leadership in sectoral activities
- Coordinate International Medical Corps’s nutrition and food security response and recovery activities across a wide range of actors including donors, host governments, UN and NGO partners to ensure consistency of programming.
- Actively participate in development of emergency response proposals to be submitted by International Medical Corps to ensure that proposed activities and programs align with best practice in the nutrition sector. As appropriate, apply new developments in the nutrition sector to International Medical Corps programming.
Program Finance, Logistics and Administration
- Assist in staff recruitment and training, conduct performance monitoring in collaboration with HR, ensure that standards and protocols are adhered to
- Review and manage program budgets and ensure that there is regular alignment of the budget in regards to expenditures
- Ensure equitable allocation of human, material and financial resources
- Coordinate very closely with logistics in order to ensure that there is no break in nutrition program supplies.
- Organize and follow-up on all other procurements needed for the projects
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- BS in Nutrition required with 8-10 years of field experience or Masters Degree required in Nutrition or other relevant field, 6-8 years of international experience in nutrition response, including experience in emergency response and recovery following natural disaster. Experience in assessment, program design and evaluation, and technical training and support.
- An up-to date understanding of nutrition, risk reduction, emergency response, and sustainable development concepts.
- Knowledge in designing and implementing appropriate and effective holistic nutrition programs including ensuring that the nutrition program is integrated with health, WASH, GBV and FS programming where appropriate.
- Familiarity with design and programming processes of different donors (ECHO, OFDA, FFP, etc...)
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in program monitoring, data collection and evaluation.
- Strong skills in technical proposal writing and donor reporting, designing and implementing nutrition programs
- Ability to exhibit tact, diplomacy, and resourcefulness in dealing with high level officials from donor agencies, international organizations, and other foreign and domestic government officials and partners.
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Strong supervisory and organization skills
- Flexible and able to deal with stressful situations
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources in difficult settings
- Good knowledge of human resources management and experience in finance and logistic
- Strong communication and leadership skills, able to effectively present information clearly and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers and headquarters staff, counterparts, senior government leaders and donors
- Must have excellent English written and oral communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments within International Medical Corps, donors, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector.
- Capacity and willingness to live and work in remote and insecure areas (at least 50% of this position will be spent in Borno, North East Nigeria)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to career website on careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.