The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Purpose of the Assignment
- The nature of the conflict and the resultant displacements have caused a large and growing number of children separated from their primary caregivers.
- It is estimated that there are over 20,000 unaccompanied and separated children (UASC) in the three States of Emergency.
- As the conflict subsides, it is envisaged that there will be mass returns of internally displaced persons. Identification of all UASC, assessment of their care arrangements and reunification are urgent priorities.
- The purpose of the consultancy (one for Borno and one for Yobe) is to support the UNICEF Nigeria Country Office to scale up its emergency response programme related to unaccompanied and separated children (UASC).
- Provide inputs into the action plan for sensitization, training (especially on Identification, Documentation, Tracing and Reunification and follow up) and coaching for state and non-state partners on case management of UASC based on capacity gaps and gaps and challenges in programme implementation
- Coach and train officials of State and Federal Ministries of Women Affairs and Social Welfare and National and State Emergency Management Agencies on effective approaches to UASC in accordance with the action plan
- Monitor programme implementation and provide support for UASC identification, registration, tracing, provision of alternative cars, reunification and follow up
- Monitor and support placing of UASC under appropriate alternative care systems, with particular attention to the provision of care for high risk children i.e., children associated with armed groups, children born out of sexual violence etc.
- Provide support to state and non-state partners for the operationalization of the Child Protection Information Management System (CPIMS) and Case Managements System
- Monitor implementation of UASC project by UNICEF's partners
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree in Social Science, Social Work, Social Development, Child Development or related field
Years of Relevant Experience:
- Minimum two years' experience in child protection, preferably with UN or NGOs
- Experience in implementing systems of identification, documentation, tracing and reunification of UASC is desirable
- Experience in delivering training to government and NGO partners
- Experience of working in an emergency context is desirable
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Ability to work independently in the field
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri would be an advantage
go to method of application »
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain contact with Customs, Immigration Officials and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Follow-up on supply clearance documentations to facilitate timely customs clearance of supplies and equipment in keeping with established protocol.
- Prepares all Customs Declaration, note verbal, letters of concession and any other letters relevant to customs release of UNICEF's shipment; obtain MOFA/Custom's approval in timely manner to avoid accrual of demurrage.
- Respond to queries from Supply Division/Programme Sections/Field Offices on all Off-shore related issues. Maintains records relating to all Offshore PGMs and shipping documentation in such a manner which would enhance retrieval of information pertaining thereto; Prepares monitoring reports on activities relating to Note Verbal and agent invoices.
- Constantly advise Section Chief on latest developments in the fields of duty exemption and clearance of UNICEF and Procurement Services Supplies, tariff fluctuations at National Aviation Handling Company (NAHCO) and Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). Physically attend to clearance of high value perishable items like vaccines and ensure quick delivery and safe storage.
- Scrutinizes invoices from the freight forwarders and certifies against established tariff rates. Requests CRQs from the relevant programme section with appropriate budget. Drafts and make copies of all payment requests for distribution to Finance and maintains relevant files.
- Liaisons with Field Offices and Oshodi warehouse, Lagos for recommended transport required for distribution of supplies to the projects and draft memo for the designated freight forwarder.
- Normally office based but the job demands frequent visits to MOFA/Customs/Airport to submit documents and obtain timely concessions/exemptions from Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Customs Officials.
Impact and Consequence of Error
Describe the type of decisions regularly made and the impact of those decisions:
- Incumbent exercises strong vigilance and judgment and may be required to take decisions relating to handling of documents to avoid them getting into unauthorized hands or third party.
Describe the type of recommendations regularly made and why these are important:
- Based on routine dealings and experience, incumbent recommends or suggests actions for expediting exemptions and timely clearance of supplies to avoid accrual of demurrage at the ports of entries.
Describe the most damaging error(s) that could be made in the work and the consequences they would have:
- The most damaging error is to let shipping documents fall into unauthorized and wrong hands.
- Also, delay in obtaining concessions/exemptions could entail demurrage costs at ports leading to undue additional charges and serious damage or loss of shipments, directly affecting programme implementation and organization's credibility.
- Inappropriate record keeping can cause delay in retrieving information fast and accurately for decision making taking decisions
Qualifications, Skills And Attributes
Required to perform the duties of the post:
- Completion of Secondary School. University degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Supply & Logistics Management or related field is desirable.
- Five (5) years experience progressively in shipping, clearing and forwarding.
- Experience and strong updated knowledge in government shipping and clearing regulations is required.
- Fluency in English language is required. Knowledge of a second UN working language will be an asset.
- Drive for Results [I]
- Communication [I]
- Planning and Organizing [I]
- Planning and Organizing [I]
- Following instructions and Procedures [I]
- Analyzing [I]
Method of Application
To apply, click on preferred job title(s)
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale