UN Women - In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization's goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-2
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jan-2016
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 Year
Expected Duration of Assignment: 2 Years
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
More than ten years after the passage of UN Security Council resolution 1325, there is widespread concern that progress made at the normative and policy levels has not been translated into significant improvements in the lives of women and girls in conflict and post-conflict countries. Both the United Nations and the European Union have committed to closing this implementation gap. To address this, UN Women and UNICEF with funding support from the European Union, will partner in a joint programme that pilots a model for EU/UN collaboration on Women, Peace and Security matters in three states of Northern Nigeria.
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the Project Management team and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Upon the request of the supervisor, the Driver should also provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission. The Driver will provide basic administrative and clerical support to the UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services;
- Proper use of vehicle;
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle;
- Administrative and clerical support.
Provision of reliable and secure driving services:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel only but this can include visiting Officials (Government, UN, Embassy Officials, etc.);
- Ensuring that all passengers wear their seat belts at all times in the vehicle;
- Enforcing the no smoking policy in the vehicle;
- Facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required;
- Escort, meet high-level official personnel at the airport and facilitate VIP missions etc;
- Collecting and deliver mail/correspondence to Government Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/UN Offices etc;
- Interact with Finance and Administration staff;
- Ensuring that all vehicles comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS);
- Following strictly all rules and regulations in relation to the use and management of UN Women vehicles as provided by the Operations Unit;
- Ensuring that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Proper Use of Vehicle:
- Log official trips in the official log books;
- Keep abreast of traffic rules and regulations as well as road security and safety awareness to enable safe on time arrival for meetings.
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle:
- Ensure that the official vehicle is kept clean and is always in good working order;
- Provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Keep track of insurance and applicable tax formalities.
Administrative and Clerical Support:
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying, processing correspondence and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payment of bills, as required.
Impact of Results:
- The key results impact on the safety, accuracy and timely work of the office. They also impact on the image and credibility of UN Women presented to visiting dignitaries from Government/UN/Donors etc.
- Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent driving skills;
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills;
- Skill in minor vehicle repairs;
- Professional appearance and punctuality;
- Good people skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Preference may be given to persons having higher Degree or having a mix of relevant trainings and qualifications;
- Valid Driver's license is required.
- 3 years work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record;
- Knowledge and ability to operate office equipment and computer literacy will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of basic administrative and logistic functions will be required.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of other local language Hausa will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should visit UN Women Career Page on UNDP
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale