About the Job:
FINCA Microfinance Bank Limited, Nigeria is recruiting an experienced, motivated and hands-on Senior Finance Accountant.
This is a middle management position in the Finance department and reports directly to the Chief Accountant or as may be designated, and is responsible for the accuracy of financial reports, compliance with accounting standards and FINCA’s Subsidiary’s accounting policies and procedures and ensures compliance with Central Bank of Subsidiary’s and statutory requirements, while working with the regional offices to improve the qualities of financial records.
Additionally, he/she is responsible for the overall supervision of the department, safeguards the company’s physical and financial assets with the aim of maximizing value for the company, reviews the inventory as well as the accounts records and further oversees the smooth running of the department in the absence of the Chief Accountant/ Chief Financial Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- MANAGEMENT OF ACCOUNTS AND GENERAL LEDGER
- Supervise, train, and manage performance of all accounting staff of FINCA.
- Evaluate and improve work processes to improve efficiency, quality and reliability
- Be a driving force in capacity building for head office and branch finance staff in terms of technical as well as managerial skills; design and implement development plans for all employees under his/her supervision
- Ensure performance evaluations for all accounting staff are done on time and to a high standard of quality
- TAX & ACCOUNTING
- Work with the legal department to ensure that the institution’s tax affairs are managed on a timely basis to ensure 100% compliance in terms of reporting and payment deadlines
- Supervise the preparation, recording, control, monitoring, maintenance and reconciliation of financial transactions and provide overall management of the accounts of the company at all levels of operation (branch, head office, etc.)
- Monitor and manage accounts to control for fraud, loss or mismanagement. This includes management of suspense and transitory account balances, identification of mispostings or irregular balances or transactions.
- Manage and monitor the use of accounting software and the accounting module of the core banking system and ensure correct functioning of accounting systems
- Ensure timely preparation and fair presentation of accounting records, financial statements and tax/statutory withholding returns in accordance with internal procedures and policies, IFRS accounting standards and all applicable regulatory requirements and avail financial reports and records to Management, the Board or other stakeholders as required.
- Ensures timely preparation of ALCO, Liquidity and Cash reports.
- Maintain ownership over accuracy and completeness of all reconciliations, internal reports and external party reports
- BUDGETING, AUDIT AND OTHER
- Drive the annual budgeting and forecasting process to successful completion.
- Facilitate internal and external audits in conformity with FINCA International, Central Bank and other government agency (i.e. tax) reporting requirements and act as the principal contact during the interim and final audits
- Represent the CFO and CD in tax and other government agencies’ inspections
- Coordinate annual inventory of fixed assets in all branches and Head Office
- Ensure prompt filing and proper organization of accounting documents
- Take on ad hoc tasks as delegated by the Chief Financial Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Accounting or Chartered Accountancy Equivalent required
- Desired candidate MUST be a Certified Chartered Accountant (ACA/ACCA).
- At least 5 years of experience in accounting functions of a company, desirably a financial institution, of which at least 2 years should be at a supervisory position.
- A sound knowledge of micro finance and principles and practices of banking.
Leading with integrity – Reinforces our values through daily behaviour and holds others accountable to ethical behavior
Employee engagement – Maintains a fulfilling work environment and engages staff based on their strengths. Mentors others to develop their skills and provides feedback on performance regularly.
Responsible for results – Takes responsibility for own actions and manages others to focus on key priorities.
Recruitment and staffing – Makes quality hiring decisions; Forecasts staffing needs accurately; Follows Company hiring process
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Financial responsibility – Conserves organizational resources and works within budget guidelines.
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and qualities:
- An effective implementer of organization’s accounting entries
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria and to travel within the country (50% of the time)
- Proficient in MS-Office Suite (especially Excel)
- Good understanding of IT issues in core banking systems related to accounting
- Experienced with at least one type of accounting software; experience in management of accounts in a core banking system (especially Orbit-R) is highly beneficial
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and commitment to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Chief Accountant/Chief Financial Officer
- Branch/Business Managers and Heads of Department
- Payment and Reconciliation Officer
- Account Assistant
- Other FINCA Staff