Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. The Foundation has been helping children in need for over 50 years, defending their rights regardless of their race, creed or political affiliation. In over 30 countries, Tdh protects children against exploitation and violence, improves children’s and their mother’s health and provides emergency psychological and material support in humanitarian crises.
Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference to the lives of children in need.
Tdh established its Country Office in Nigeria during the last quarter of 2017 as part of the response to the evolving humanitarian crisis in the Lake Chad Basin. Since then, the organization’s interventions has established and expanded across Borno State in the North East (the Eastern Crescent). The sites currently covered by Tdh include the Stadium IDP Camp and Bolori II within the Maiduguri Municipal Council, Monguno, Pulka, Dikwa, Mafa Central, Mafa Rural and Rann, which are deep field locations. Through its work, Tdh has continued to address the most urgent needs of IDPs and host communities affected by the crisis, bridging gaps and improving access to basic needs and services. Current activities include Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, Maternal and Infant Health, Child Protection, and Education in Emergencies.
General description of the position:
Reporting to the Deputy Health & Nutrition Manager, the Reproductive Health Team Leader is responsible for the management and implementation of Maternal, Neonatal and child health activities in Tdh area implementing location. In addition, the Reproductive health TL is responsible management of other midwives, CHEWs, Traditional Birth attendants and Community health volunteers in the project. This position is based in Dikwa working in a health post with shift pattern which includes night shifts.
- Clinical management of pregnant and lactating women including during childbirth and management of children under the age of 5.
- Able to recognise their limit and refer patients to appropriate specialist care when necessary.
- Support mothers and their families in the overall care of their new-born babies in communities.
- Development/ Retrieval of health -related IEC materials and other technical tools for community sensitization.
- Ensure close supervision of daily community outreach activities.
- Support reproductive health team leaders in delivering community-based health interventions, overcoming challenges and seek synergies with other actors and other Tdh sectors
- Any other related duties as directed by technical or other supervisors.
- Manage and Supervise their team with the support of the Line manager.
- In coordination with the Health & Nutrition DPM, assess training needs of team members and devise appropriate trainings and on the job coaching.
- Provide appropriate training, mentoring, coaching and capacity building of the team under her/his responsibility
- Enforce safety procedures, IPC measures and ensure availability of safety equipment
- Welcome and brief new employees or volunteers working under her/his responsibility
- Participate in Professional Evaluation of team member
Reporting / communication
- Under the supervision of the line manager, collate, manage and channel activity reports as appropriate.
- Report to the line manager on the evolution of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, quality of relations with beneficiaries and the involvement of communities
- Raise any queries or difficulties related to Tdh’s activities or security issues
Partner Collaboration :
- Remain in touch with the population and local authorities to understand needs, complaints, and major events that may have an impact Tdh’s community activities, and in terms of operations and perceptions
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, program sectors and other appropriate agencies to ensure that the program is meeting their needs.
- Set up and support an inclusive community-based feedback and complaints mechanism.
- Participate in meetings, seminars and training workshops useful to the accomplishment of activities and the attainment of project objectives
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
Knowledge & Required Experiences
- State Registered Midwife with a minimum of 4 years’ experience.
- Two years’ experience in the humanitarian field or a closely related field.
- Sound knowledge of maternal health care protocols.
- Understanding of fundamental concepts of their limitations.
- Ability to work well in a team. Flexible and adaptable.
- Good communicator.
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures.
- Good knowledge of standard computer software applications and information technology
- Excellent soft skills and the ability to work with people from different backgrounds in a caring manner.
- Excellent data collation and Report writing
- Proficiency in English – both written and spoken.
- Proficiency in Hausa or one other local dialect (desired but not essential).
This position is open only to Health department Ex-staff of Tdh