This scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the Director of Supply Chain Financial Management and Reporting to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an associate company of Chemonics International Inc. in the implementation of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) in Nigeria.
Background: The purpose of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program–Procurement and Supply Management single award Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities to prevent suffering, save lives, and create a brighter future for families around the world. The IDIQ has four task orders that directly support the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and USAID’s maternal and child health, and population and reproductive health programs. GHSC-PSM provides health commodity procurement services and systems strengthening technical assistance that address all elements of a comprehensive supply chain. All four task orders are implemented in Nigeria.
Director of Supply Chain Financial Management and Reporting leads a cross-functional supply chain budget management unit in support of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program - Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) and Global Fund projects. The Director contributes to overall leadership of the department, including supervising compliance with internal processes, providing financial, data, and system management, promoting a culture continuous improvement, and overseeing staff development and supervision. The Director will be accountable for managing day-to-day tasks carried out by his/her team, including ensuring supply chain invoices are fully supported with backup documentation, and that staff routinely and accurately input supply chain activity and cost data into the unit’s central financial tracker.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Supervises two sub-units directly responsible for reviewing supply chain invoices for compliance with contractual terms and conditions and entering relevant supply chain activity and invoice data into central tracker which results in the organization being consistently aware of anticipated supply chain costs/accruals.
- Supervises compliance with internal processes to ensure invoice review, activity tracking, invoice reconciliation, and data entry practices are always in line with relevant processes; identifies gaps between practices and processes and provides change management leadership to ensure practices are re-aligned with processes.
- Facilitates the production of accurate data through robust supervision of staff compliance with data collection and entry processes; leverages data to assess state of overall departmental performance and to proactively alert organization to relevant data-based trends and risks, including potential budget and subcontract overruns.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement by identifying the root causes of process deviation and leads process reengineering as needed to facilitate the unit’s ability to meet departmental objectives.
- Monitors digital workflows and automations underpinning central tracker and makes or advises on adjustments as needed.
- Builds a skilled, high-performing team to achieve financial performance tracking.
- Recommends and/or leads strategic staff recruitment
- Anticipates organizational risk, implements strategies, and takes steps, including those that require cross-departmental collaboration, to lessen impact or mitigate those risks.
Invoice Management, Data Management, and Reporting
- Responsible for facilitating near real-time visibility into supply chain accruals by supervising staff responsible for capturing activities and then linking received invoices to tracked activities; preparing reports on a regular basis on accrued supply chain expenses; ensures financial management data, financial analysis, reports, and dashboards are accurate and readily available for decision making.
- Supervises staff responsible for reviewing invoices against applicable checklists and ensuring invoices transit through review stages efficiently and through the central tracker to guarantee real-time visibility for management and other stakeholders.
- Ensures quality of departmental reports by leveraging data from the central tracker; ensures data is accurate and supervises the correction of erroneous and/or missing datapoints.
- Develops effective working relationships with supply chain vendors by leveraging the central tracker to provide timely reports to vendors on the status of invoice reviews and estimated timelines for final payment; supervises vendor reconciliations and ensures central tracker is always up to date with vendor activities that have yet to be invoiced, invoiced activities, payments, invoices in need of further revisions, and any balances against previously paid invoices.
- Supervises compliance with management of paper file processes, ensuring all invoice and backup documentation records are neatly stored in logical order, easily retrievable, and are physically passed between different review personnel in synchronization with how each file is digitally represented in the central tracker.
- Supervises invoice review and data entry staff performance trends and promotes a culture of accountability by providing constructive feedback on performance trends and creating professional
- Manages staff against performance benchmarks pulled from the central tracker and complementary sources; leverages data to provide data-driven feedback to staff as part of informal and formal feedback initiatives.
- Supervises, mentors, and evaluates multiple direct reports, communicating clear performance goals and standards, offering regular performance feedback and prompt resolution of problems, and time and opportunity to grow and develop in key competency areas; promotes staff development through coaching, mentoring, and facilitating professional growth.
- Creates a productive and motivating work environment for staff by promoting cooperation and teamwork across departments, staying abreast of management, leadership, and team-building strategies, and advocating for them within the organization.
- Promotes and exemplifies organizational values and ethical standards and manages staff to achieve team and development objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, or related field required; MBA or relevant advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years of relevant project and financial management
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience and leading teams
- Experience creating and/or using digital workflows preferred.
- Experience using project and finance management tools, systems, and trackers required
- Experience managing large datasets with a high degree of accuracy required
- Moderate to Expert-level Microsoft application skills required, including Office, SharePoint, and Excel; knowledge of Smartsheet and Microsoft Power BI strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and lead presentations, training courses, and effective meetings
- Background or proven knowledge in project management required
- Background or proven knowledge in lean and six sigma preferred
- Ability to solve problems creatively, multitask, work under tight deadlines, and learn new concepts quickly
- Fluency in and demonstrated application of financial and project management systems
- Demonstrated ability to provide senior leadership, formulating and articulating vision, and managing resources to produce quality results through contributing to successful operation, management, and organizational image.
- Leads effective meetings and demonstrated presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership, management, organizational, and decision-making skills
The Director of Supply Chain Financial Management and Reporting will report directly to the Chief Finance Advisor or designee.
Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment
This is a long-term position for the life of the contract based in Abuja, Nigeria.