If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for its Nutrition team in Maiduguri and Monguno.
Deputy Nutrition Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri and Monguno, Borno State
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Project Manager, the Deputy Nutrition Project Manager shall ensure the overall support and direct supervision of the teams working in PUI project sites in Monguno(Kukuwa and cross kuwa) and Bolori II.
- S/he will work closely with the Nutrition Project Manager in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring of agreed nutrition project activities in line with PUI and Donor guidelines.
Responsabilities And Tasks
Implementation and Monitoring of Nutrition Project:
- S/he ensures that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project objectives and participate actively in their implementation
- S/he ensures the proper organization and functioning of the project teams, and ensures compliance with goals defined in the project proposal
- Notably, s/he follows up the performance indicators defined, reports on progress to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM), indicates difficulties encountered in project implementation, and proposes improvements or reorganization based on needs
- S/he ensures that the teams are following up proper implementation protocols, and applying them according to international and national recommendations and guidelines
- S/he supervises and fosters functional referral system of beneficiaries within PUI project sites and partners’ designated health facilities
- S/he participates in follow-up and analysis of data related to nutrition activities in collaboration with the Nutrition PM, Nutrition Advisor and Medical Coordinator
- S/he assists in planning of activities and ensures that activities are met in timely manner. In the event of serious delays in project implementation, s/he immediately informs Nutrition PM and proposes solutions to remedy the situation.
- When required, s/he participates in needs assessments in relation to project needs
- S/he assists in capacity building, including archiving the documents, tools and training materials in the context of project and ensures the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the project documents.
- S/he ensures the implementation of monitoring and/ or evaluations, according to the defined needs of the project.
- S/he drafts the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM) or/and the Nutrition Advisor or Medical Coordinator or other PUI Program Managers as required
- S/he prepares information needed for the Nutrition sector reporting for submission to the Medical Coordinator and/or Nutrition Advisor
- In close collaboration with the Nutrition Management Team, s/he participates in activities related to country nutrition program strategy, especially considering the quality of activities, the technical choices to be made, and reporting obligations
Support Supervision of the Nutrition Team:
- S/he familiarizes with PUI Internal Rules and Procedure for the mission, and ensures that they are known and respected by each member of the nutrition project
- S/he familiarizes with nutrition team job profiles, have them endorsed by the enrolled staff, and participates actively in the hiring process (candidates interviewing, testing, etc.).
- S/he ensures project activities and procedures are regularly and timely performed as per the agreed work plans.
- S/he supports and monitors coordination mechanisms specific to the nutrition team and ensures proper supervision of its implementation
- S/he follows up plans and organizes capacity building and trainings in collaboration with the Nutrition PM
- S/he plans, organizes and follows up the weekly/ monthly implementation chart, after being endorsed by the Nutrition PM
Logistical and Administrative Support for the Nutrition Program:
- S/he works closely with other departments (Maiduguri base Pharmacy and Logistics) for ideal storage and use of nutrition supplies (consumables and operation equipment)
- S/he monitors and addresses needs for routine medications, therapeutic and supplementary supplies and operational equipment to the Nutrition PM, in line with available budgets; considering the time and logistical constraints at PUI, as well as the purchasing rules specific to the programs
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM, Logistics Department and Central Pharmacist, s/he ensures appropriate supply plan, on weekly basis principle, for each PUI Nutrition sites under her/his designation
- S/he communicates to the Logistic Manager on a weekly basis his/her needs related to vehicles and communication equipment for the implementation of program.
- S/he contributes to the analysis of procurement bids for purchases of project items with technical specifications
- S/he participates when required in the preparation of calls for tender, as the case may be, in collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and the procurement officer at Headquarters
- On a monthly basis, s/he provides the Nutrition PM with information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates specific to nutrition project activities
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM and Logistic Manager, s/he assists in other logistical components of his/her program (delivery, distribution, on-site storage, etc.)
- When required, s/he represents PUI before local actors involved in the implementation of nutrition project, and contributes to good relations within project partners
- In agreement with the Nutrition PM, Nutrition Advisor and Medical Coordinator, s/he attends coordination meetings on relevant nutrition sector matters when they take place, and participates actively
- In the event of visits from Donors, s/he participates actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- S/he ensures that members of his/her teams and daily paid workers as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to their activities
- S/he ensures that project/s, methodologies, or selection criteria do not place beneficiaries, PUI staff or any other persons in harm. The Nutrition Deputy Program Manager alerts the Field Coordinator without delay, in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- S/he participates in identifying nutrition-related needs in coordination with the Nutrition PM, Deputy Field Coordinator, Nutrition Advisor and the Medical Coordinator
Specific Objectives Linked to the Activities:
- With the support of Nutrition project Manager, ensure smooth implementation of IYCF and CMAM activities integrated with Food Security, WASH and Protection sectors according to the work plans, national and international guidelines. This will include supervision and support of the functions of the Community outreach Workers and health facility staffs
- Actively support a functional referral system from identification of malnutrition cases from different sources including community, health posts and other partners operating in the area, to treatment and follow up of project beneficiaries
- With the support of the Nutrition Project Manager and MEAL team, participate in the development and review of tools for data management when necessary
- Prepare and share quality and timely data and/or reports as requested by Nutrition Project Manager
- Participate in staff recruitment process and ensure that staffs understand duties and responsibilities in the working environment according to their job descriptions and internal HR guidelines
- Take part in preparing and conducting trainings and on-the-job mentoring of nutrition team
- Coordinate with the Nutrition project Manager in addressing any relevant issues related to the project implementation
- A minimum of Bachelor's degree in Public Health in a field related to Nutrition and or training/courses specific to Nutrition and Health in emergency contexts
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in working with CMAM, IYCF and other health related programs
- Be fluent in English (verbal and written)
- Be fluent the local language Hausa and Kanuri
- Have human resource management experience, leadership and motivation/training skills
- Have excellent organization skills, attention to detail, time management and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Have strong capacity to represent PUI and sustain relations with state and local stakeholders
- Have excellent interpersonal skills (team management, communication, reporting, planning and organizational skills)
- Be committed to PUI working principles and values
- Have experience working within humanitarian sector and context
- Computer skills - Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Great moral and ethical sense
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy skills
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized, hard worker and rigorous
- Able to manage stress and pressure
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.