Overall Responsibility: Take the responsibility to implement Client’s innovative Leadership Program in Nigeria by providing training, development, and capacity-building for staff, farmer organization members, and other community stakeholders. Lead all of Client’s trainings and ensuring that training content aligns with Clients participatory approach. Facilitate Client’s Program Planning Process including trainings on leadership, management, farmer organization management and training best practices for Nigeria staff, farmer organizations’ members and relevant government stakeholders. Ensure that training focuses on both leadership and technical focused content.
Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Leadership Program Manager (PM), the Training Officer (TO) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Training and Facilitation
- Work with the leadership team to facilitate the Program Planning Process, a method used to co-design rural livelihood activities for communities living in extreme poverty.
- Provide technical support to Client’s Impact and Rural Livelihoods Programs and facilitate various capacity-building trainings for staff, farmer organization members, and relevant government officials.
- Facilitate trainings, workshops, and community discussions using participatory and interactive methodology to ensure active participant engagement.
- Conduct TOT sessions for field officers to improve their facilitation skills.
- Ensure that training logistics are prepared and available before the start of training and all through the workshop sessions.
- Conduct pre and post assessments, gather evaluation forms, enter data, and conduct debriefs on training outcomes.
- Adapt training facilitation techniques to improve training effectiveness.
- Ensure that field training activities are consistent with Client’s leadership, social cohesion and community development philosophy.
- Conduct observations of training sessions for providing further assistance and support.
- Write, edit, and revise Client’s existing training curriculum and lesson plans to improve its application for rural Nigerian communities; contextualize Client’s International training materials to ensure its applicability at the local level.
- Incorporate key themes of gender mainstreaming, resilience, behavior change and empowerment of local communities into Client’s existing curricula.
- Create engaging, interactive, and targeting activities for rural populations.
- Ensure that lesson plans align with basic principles of adult learning best practices.
- Support implementation of leadership program activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture Economics, Agriculture Extension and Animal Science, Sociology, Social Anthropology, Education, Philosophy, Community Development or other related field.
- 2-5 years’ experience in staff capacity-building, rural community development, and leadership.
- Proven track record of effective curriculum writing and successful facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability, experience and conviction to operate in both office and field setting, and a desire to work in remote, rural setting.
- Experience with capacity building and training for farmers, rural livelihood participants, and farmer organization members.
- Experience training adult learners.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and demonstrated experience with strategic planning.
- Fluency in English and Hausa languages is a must.
- Experience working with gender mainstreaming, designing gender sensitive trainings and workshop discussions for community members.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet, Google Apps, etc.); familiarity and comfort using basic mobile technology
- Commitment to Client’s vision and servant leadership values anchored on the conviction of selfless service, forthrightness and down-to-earth.
- Basic understanding of servant leadership principles and willingness to grow in this area.
- Initiative and ability to prioritize, multitask, and carry out responsibilities independently in the absence of a supervisor and/or without close supervision.
- Certificates in participatory ToT, leadership, rural adult education or other training credentials are an asset.
- Experience training in the specific areas of leadership, cooperatives, rural livelihoods, agriculture, social services, and/or behavior change is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of cultural, gender, and economic dynamics of northeast Nigeria is an asset.
- Fluency in local dialects of Kamwe and/or Margi is desired.
Salary, benefits and conditions
- Salary is competitive depending on qualifications and experience.
- Positive atmosphere of dynamism and motivated team setting.
- Atmosphere of a forefront professional and flexible NGO with a unique new development approach.
- Annual, Maternity and Paternity leave benefits.
- Transport costs and communication allowance.
- Training and capacity building program and intensive mentorship by expat team.
- Life Insurance covering accident, disability and related benefits.
- Health Insurance covering employee and family.
- Pension benefits.
- Atmosphere of diversity committed to providing equal employment opportunity, forbidding discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age and disability, with respect to policies and visions.
- Other Labour best practices apply.
Job Location: Michika, Adamawa State, Nigeria