If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
- PUI is now looking for a Midwife for its medical health team to implement mobile health clinic in Maiduguri.
- Under the Direct Supervision of SRH Supervisor
- Under the Technical Supervision SRH Supervisor
- Under the Overall Supervision Deputy Project Manager for PHC
- Under the direct supervision of the SRH Supervisor, the midwife provides MNCH/SRH care services, including ANC, PNC, Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal care, family planning, etc.
- S/he follows PUI obstetrical and sexual reproductive health protocols and universal standards to ensure quality and continuity of care.
Responsabilities and Tasks
- Welcome patients to the MNHC/ SRH services in the PHC.
- Establish personal rapport with potential and actual patients and their relatives.
- Provide Antenatal and Postnatal care services.
- Provide Basic Obstetrical and Neonatal care, including assistance to urgent normal deliveries, manage obstetric emergencies.
- Ensure mothers receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card…).
- Provide Family planning counseling as a routine and on request (where possible to the couple) and provide contraceptives according to the need.
- Treat sick Pregnant and Lactating Women for illnesses selected by PUI, and for which a protocol is provided and adhere to therapeutic standards.
- Manage sexual transmitted infections according to PUI protocols.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
- Assess urgency and make sure urgent cases are seen first
- Evaluate the pregnant women for high risks pregnancy and ensure a timely referral to secondary health services.
- Identify cases needing referral and refer them in time, assessment and follow-up of new borne.
- Identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with Universal standards, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adhere to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Document collected information on health cards and other records.
- Support in various data collection.
- Ensure coordination and continuity of care through verbal and written reports and coordination with SRH supervisor and other PHC staff.
- Ensure operation of equipment, and report to SRH supervisor in case of damage or not functioning.
- Participate actively in meetings and trainings when required.
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by supervisors
Specific Objective and Linked Activities
- Provide essential preventative assistance services and follow up to identified women in reproductive age years, especially pregnant/lactating women.
- Ensure safe deliveries and provide first care to the new born.
- Provide Training on Sexual and Reproductive Health to CHWs, Nurses.
- Report on collected data.
- Directly report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in pui health facility
- Scale up on the primary health care centers plan should be developed according to the time frame
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Build the capacity of the community health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health illness patterns observed in the phcc that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Recognized Midwife Degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation
- 2-3 years of experience in Midwifery
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages Hausa, etc.
Knowledge and skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation
- Good practice in conduction of deliveries
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Transversals skills:
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will done on the rolling basis and PUI reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.
- If pre-selected you will be contacted shortly by the HR department.