Job Number: 525744
Location: Abuja, Nigeria (Nigerian nationals are not eligible to apply)
Work Type : Fixed Term Appointment
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Human Resources, the Human Resources Specialist at P3 level of the international professional category will be accountable for implementing HR services that enhance the capacity of their clients to deliver on their business goals and objectives.
- In doing so, the incumbent demonstrates the ability to anticipate HR related needs and develop subsequent plans and solutions that align HR management with business objectives.
How can you make a difference?
Being part of the country office HR team, you can make notable contributions by:
- Serve as the single point of contact for his/her client portfolio on advice pertaining to all aspects of the employment life cycle
- Provide accurate and timely advice to clients on HR processes and policies, ensuring the highest level of client-orientation.
- Proactively advise clients on the resolution of human resources issues ensuring equitable and transparent solutions that protects both the staff and organizations interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures.
- Promote the organizational goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity.
Strategic Human Resources:
- Liaise with the HQ Divisions, regional and country offices to support and contribute to corporate HR strategy formulation and global implementation. Provide feedback and make recommendations on the establishment and improvement of HR systems, policies and processes.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in HR management and contribute to the development of global policies, procedures and introduce innovation through sharing of best practices and knowledge learned.
Implementation of assigned Human Resources Services:
- Provide support to various or one specific HR occupation (recruitment, job classification, career development, performance management, data analytics, learning & development etc.) to help their supervisors in implementing efficient client services that help either attract, retain and/or motivate staff of the highest caliber.
- When assigned casework in the relevant area on either a routine or non-routine basis, analyze and synthesize issues and problems, and interpret established, formal guidelines to address and recommend solutions or further actions required.
Learning and Capacity Development:
- In collaboration with business owners, design and deliver learning plans for staff to enhance their knowledge and build skills in new areas.
- Contributes to the mapping of competencies for all staff in assigned client portfolio, assisting in the development of a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline.
- Recommend efficient and cost-effective learning products which strengthen staff capacity to contribute effectively to business goals.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Provide orientation briefings to new staff.
- Provide day-to-day performance and talent management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, career conversations, and disciplinary actions).
HR Data Analytics:
- Interpret and analyze HR data to help inform strategic decision making on HR processes and strategies.
- Develop data collection systems to optimize data quality.
- Coordinate with country offices and partners to provide assistance in their HR information management.
Impact of Results:
- Specialists at this level analyze proposals and requests received from managers, supervisors and staff and make recommendations or take technical sound actions. Examples of such actions at this level include the resolution of a range of staff entitlement matters; the recruitment of staff to atypical positions within UNICEF requiring the use of outreach recruitment services, such as social networks; revisions to procedures for the classification of jobs, or the design of specific training programmes to meet new staff development needs.
- As seasoned HR professionals, the Specialists’ work reflects directly on the professionalism of the incumbent and the overall reputation of the HR community for technical quality in terms of both substantive depth and adaptive relevance to client needs and customer service approach to problem resolution.
- Generalist positions cover a range of HR specialties and would normally have access to advice from specialists in the individual specialties (broad in scope but restricted depth of treatment of subject matter). Specialist positions, on the other hand, are more restricted in scope but require more in-depth analysis in order to solve case-by-case problems independently.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Education: An Advanced University Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Management, International Relations, Psychology or another related field is required.
- Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in human resource management in an international organization and/or large corporation is required.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
- Strategic: Experience and ability to implement targeted and innovative human resources strategies to address clients’ people-related needs. Ability to implement innovative HR programs within a fast paced, evolving, and wide organizational setting.
- Technical: In-depth technical knowledge of the principles and concepts of human resources management. Ability to identify and analyze systemic issues, formulate opinions and make conclusions and recommendations to resolve same. Excellent knowledge of organizational and HR information technology systems and tools.
- Interpersonal and Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience. Ability to empathize with client managers, supervisors and staff while advocating for consistent and equitable applications of promulgated HR regulations and rules.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
- UNICEF's core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Functional competencies required: Leading & Supervising, Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Analyzing, Applying technical expertise, Planning and organizing.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
Application Closing Date
Sunday, 8th September, 2019; 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time)