The Niger Basin Authority (NBA) is an inter-governmental organization responsible for promoting cooperation amongst Member states and contributing to improve the living conditions of the basin populations through sustainable management of water resources and associated ecosystems. The member Countries are: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Chad.
Director of the Observatory
Location: Niamey, Niger
Background and Rationale
- In 1964, the States bordering the Niger River and its tributaries created the Niger River Commission (NFC). In 1980, the NBA succeeded the Niger River Commission with nine Member States (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria).
- The NBA's mission is to promote cooperation among member countries and ensure integrated development of the basin through the development of resources in the fields of energy, water, agriculture, livestock, fisheries and fish farming, forestry and sylviculture, transport and industrial communications.
The objectives of the Niger Basin Authority are to:
- Harmonize and coordinate national policies for the development of water resources in the Niger Basin
- Participate in development planning through the elaboration and implementation of an integrated basin development plan
- Promote and participate in the design and operation of works, projects and programmes of common interest
- Ensure the control and regulation of all forms of navigation on the river, its tributaries and sub-tributaries, in accordance with the Niamey Act
- Participate in the formation of requests for assistance and in the mobilization of financing for the studies and works necessary for the development of the Basin's resources.
Mission of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Executive Secretary of the NBA, the Director of the Observatory's mission is to ensure the establishment of a data bank on the Niger Basin, its analysis and its dissemination to the various public or private, national or international actors.
- Ensure the creation, updating and safeguarding of a database on the Basin
- Ensure the analysis of available data and the production of statistical information on the natural environment and socio-economic development of the basin
- Ensure that this information is made available to all public or private, national or international actors involved in the Basin
- Ensure the day-to-day administration of the Niger Basin Observatory
- The candidate must hold a Higher Education Diploma (BAC + 5 years minimum) in Water and/or Environmental Science and Technology
- Have a perfect command of IT tools (standard software and specific software) and innovative technologies in the field of water and environmental management
- Have a good knowledge of project monitoring and evaluation
- Have at least ten (10) years of proven experience in the field of integrated water resources and environmental management in a national or international public institution
- Have good experience in the design and management of transboundary basin management projects
The candidate must:
- Have a good knowledge of water science and technology and/or the environment, a very good knowledge of computer tools for water and environmental management (specific models and software), a perfect command of French and English
- Have a good ability to coordinate multiple activities and mobilize synergies, have a high strategic sense, with a high capacity for adaptation, a strength of proposals and an acute sense of dialogue and negotiation, and have a solid sense of customer focus with a strong ability to listen and be open to others
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and transformative leadership
- Be of good moral character.
General Information for the Position
- The positions are permanent and will be based at the NBA headquarters in Niamey, Niger
- The initial duration of the contract will be two (02) years renewable for each position, following a satisfactory performance evaluation after a one-year trial period
- Attractive salary with several benefits including, among others (health insurance for the employee and his family up to a maximum of 6 children, home leave every 2 years in the country of origin, one-way ticket for the employee and his family on taking up and leaving the service, etc.).
- Nationals of one of the NBA member countries: (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon , Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria)
- Aged 55 or under on 31st December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to the head office at:
Société Afrique Conseil,
Avenue Van Vollen Hoven - Carré N° 163,
Face "Les Bagnoles" ex-CABOMA in Cotonou Boite Postale: 919 - Cotonou, Rép du Bénin.
Numéro d’adressage 634 (Telephone: 00229 90921753).
Send accelerated Application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
The Application should contain the following below:
- A letter of motivation addressed to the "Executive Secretary of the NBA", with the reference of the position for which you are applying and your salary expectations
- An updated and detailed Curriculum Vitae specifying the candidate's date of birth, Diplomas (year and place of graduation), duration (months and/or years) of experience
- A birth certificate
- A certified copy of the titles, Diplomas and certificates of qualifications
- Copies of certificates or attestations of work or services
- Two (2) passport photos
- An extract from the criminal record less than three months old;
- A copy of the certificate of nationality or any other document proving nationality
- The names and addresses of three (3) reference persons.
Note: For further information, please visit the following websites: www.afriqueconseil.com; NBA website: www.abn.ne