United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Consultant, National WASH (Gender)
Job Number: 525692
Contract duration: 4 weeks
Work Type: Consultancy
- The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical support to the FMWR in mainstreaming Gender in the WASH sector by:
- Revising and finalizing the National Gender Action Plan (NGAP) on WASH (formerly, the Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming in WASH) incorporating the results of participatory consultations: a) on priority gender gaps and proposed interventions b) draft Gender checklist (GC),
- As a preface of NGAP on WASH to come up with summative SitAn on gender dimensions in water resource and WASH policies using literature review, existing data analyses, secondary assessments of gender mainstreaming of WASH policies and programming documents and summative situation analysis
- Finalizing a Gender Checklist on WASH, to be incorporated into the National Gender Action Plan.
- To present the draft document to FMWR with the key stakeholder. Based on the recommendations to finalize the document
- Disseminating/Rolling out the National Gender Action Plan to critical state/LGA level staff on a national level
The key tasks of this consultancy include:
- Tailor the available draft Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming in WASH document and propose possible improvements based on Gender Analysis/Assessments performed in the sector, as well as other available sector data and documents.
Interviews with FMWR:
- Perform in-depth interviews with FMWR programme staff on the current gender mainstreaming practices. Validate the findings from the desk review.
- Based on the desk review and interviews, the National Gender Action Plan and Gender Checklist can be drafted with the sector findings. Scores to what extend gender has been or should be incorporated into the FMWR WASH programme should be identifiable.
Sharing of Findings and Dissemination of Document:
- A Gender & WASH workshop should be organized with key sector stakeholders and findings shared for feedback, which will feed into the final report.
- The finalization of the report and a brief presentation towards key decision makers will conclude the assessment. Here, the Consultant should facilitate national level discussions to come with recommendations for a Way Forward and ensure the roll out and full adoption of the National Gender Action Plan as the sector's instruments.
Academic Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience and Competencies
- University degree in Gender Studies, Social Sciences, Public Administration/Policy, Development Studies and other related field with 2 years professional work experience.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in gender and development; gender assessments, gender mainstreaming, water, sanitation and hygiene policies and programmes.
- Experience working in Nigeria and with Nigerian government partners is considered an asset
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work individually
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Candidate should quote an all inclusive fee in their cover letter
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.