The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Programme Analyst, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
Job ID: 25377
Locations: Abuja, Osun and Ebonyi
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Duration: One year (renewable based on availability of funds, duration of project and satisfactory performance).
- The Programme Analyst substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA’s gender portfolio and addressing harmful traditional practices especially female genital mutilation in Nigeria in the country.
- S/he analyzes and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to programme formulation, support implementation, monitoring, and evaluation within national development frameworks, the UN Sustainable Development Partnership Framework and the Joint UNFPA-UNICEF Programme on Eliminating FGM results framework and work plan.
- Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Resident Representative & Deputy Representative and the direct supervision of the Program Specialist, Gender/GBV, the Female Genital Mutilation/Gender Analyst works closely with the Gender/GBV team and the larger UNFPA Programme and Operations Teams using UNFPA and national systems and tools to deliver results.
- S/he will also work closely with different Nigerian Federal and State Ministries of Women Affairs and Social Development and Health Departments, Local Governments, Sister UN agencies (especially UNICEF), NGOs and partners to enhance programmes addressing gaps in the broader determinants of gender and harmful traditional practices in Nigeria in the country.
How You Can Make a Difference
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- The UNFPA Gender and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) programme addresses deeply entrenched cultural practice that persists in many Nigerian communities due to a myriad of sociocultural beliefs that vary across communities with regional and ethnic variations inprevalence.
- The Programme Analyst will build the capacity of implementing partners especially Government counterpart and NGOs working in the state on the Joint UNFPA/UNICEF Programme on FGM, project on addressing gaps in gender based violence and harmful traditional practices and Data for Development.
- S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and frameworks in line with the stated principles and standards.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
- Ensure inclusion of FGM, GBV, and gender concerns in UNFPA implementation programme in close collaboration with Reproductive Health officers.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the results based management of UNFPA/UNICEF Joint Programme, including the annual work plans at the national and state levels
- Provide technical expertise to guide the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes related to the Joint UNFPA/UNICEF programme on FGM and gender units work plan design, development and implementation
- Provide technical support in roll out of activities on Social Norm and Legislative advocacy
- Support supervision and management of gender unit Implementing Partners
- Conduct cross-sectoral gender sensitive research/analysis on different areas of UNFPA work identifying the risks and opportunities to strengthen the position of addressing gender inequalities in decision-making processes at all levels;
- Develop concept notes, presentations and facilitations
- Support organization’s efforts for resource mobilization
- Plan and coordinate annual partners review meetings on the joint programme
- Liaise with UNFPA ROs and HQ units to share information, provide necessary updates and seek guidance as necessary on projects.
- Identify areas of collaboration with UN agencies and national counterparts to address gender, FGM, GBV and RH issues in their plans and programmes.
- Liaise with community organizations, faith-based organizations, and community leaders to increase their participation in the process of planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluating activities.
- Participate in Country Office and other cluster/ inter-agency meetings as needed.
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress in achievement of result on UNFPA Progress in achievement of result on UNFPA programming areas.
- Undertake missions and assessments as appropriate to recommend strategic approaches and to address issues, such as gender, GBV, FGM and Reproductive Health data and young people.
- Support the management of budget planning, allocation and implementation and ensure expenditure in line with budgetary provisions as requested, coordinate Country Office various interventions and represent UNFPA at Technical working group coordination meetings to share knowledge and ensure comprehensive understanding.
- Ensure inclusion of UNFPA mandate through identifying and participation/partnering in existing programmes, and/or, if appropriate, assist in the establishment of working groups to address FGM and gender.
- Liaise with other stakeholders (such as youth groups, tradition and religious, women groups, schools, education) to ensure inclusion of UNFPA’s mandate.
- Undertake any other activities/responsibilities as needed by the UNFPA Leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's Degree in Public Health, Reproductive Health, Gender, Development Studies and/or other related social science field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant post-master’s degree working experience in programming for FGM, gender and rights issues;
- Knowledge in programme/project management in the public or private sector linked to FGM, gender and rights issues in development settings preferably.
- Be experienced in working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Be familiar with strategies on Social Norm, Advocacy for policy enactment
- Strong analytical skills.
- Have a strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
- Fluency in English required.
- Strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English will be an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge
UNFPA Work Environment
- UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life.
- We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
- UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post.
- The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- This vacancy announcement is only for nigerian nationals.
- No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN staff regulations 4.5.