Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustice. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and is scaling up an emergency response in Benue and Cross River States. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene.
Locations: Adikpo, Benue State and Ogoja, Cross River
- The Water Officer will lead the field implementation of NCA water supply in the resettlement of Cameroonian refugees.
The Water Officer will:
- Carry out detailed WASH assessment in coordination with the WASH team with focus on water source development, treatment and distribution to Persons of Concern.
- Prepare designs and BOQs for water supply constructions and installations for settlements
- Supervise borehole drilling and rehabilitation by contractors in the field to ensure adequate quality control is maintained and project specifications and timelines are adhered to.
- Implement with the support of water supervisors surface water supply treatment systems and distribution network for newly developed settlement sites.
- Supervise construction of water collection points and storage platforms.
- Oversee operation and maintenance of NCA water treatment unit, motorized borehole systems, pumps and generators to ensure adequate periodic maintenance is executed.
- Organize and conduct training for Water User Committees in coordination with sanitation and hygiene team members.
- Perform water quality analysis during water source development and implement water quality monitoring as part of the day to day water supply activities.
- Build the capacity of water supervisors and plumbers in the implementation, operation and maintenance of water supply equipment and facilities.
- Support the WASH Advisor with data collection in all water supply activities for proper monitoring of WASH program implementation.
- Ensure water supply activities are carried out in coordination with sanitation and hygiene activities as well as other partners implementing services in the field.
- Coordinate with logistics to facilitate procurement of necessary WASH items and materials.
- Prepare periodic water supply activity report as requested by the WASH Advisor.
- Carry out any other assignments as delegated by the WASH Advisor.
- Minimum of a degree in Water Resources and Enviromental Engineering, Hydrogeology or related fields.
- One to two years experience in emergency or humanitarian settings.
- Good assessment, analytical and planning skills
- Good oral and writing report skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work well in the field under difficult circumstances
- Familiarity with disaster-affected population
- Only Nigerian nationals should apply.
- Familiarity with mapping field equipment and software
- Experience with emergency water supply systems
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct:
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in a single document to: Tor.Felix.Terdzungwe@nca.no
- Please include two referees in your applications with detailed contacts, of which one must be a recent supervisor from your former/current organisation/institution.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Candidate is required to start as soon as possible.