Finance Assistant at BBC Media Action
Posted on: 23 August, 2018
Deadline: 30 August, 2018
View Jobs in Media / Radio / TV
View All Jobs at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action was founded in 1999 by the BBC as its international development charity. We apply the editorial standards of the BBC, build on its values and often work closely with the BBC World Service and other BBC departments. However, we are legally and financially independent and work to a distinct mission. Originally known as BBC World Service Trust we changed our name to BBC Media Action in December 2011.
Reports to: Finance Officer
Start Date: Immediate
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- We require a hard-working team player with a commitment to transparency and a passion for integrity to join our Finance team.
- The Finance Assistant will support the daily activities of the Finance team and help ensure that all financial aspects of BBC Media Action’s work in Nigeria are managed according to internal practices and protocols as well as donor rules and requirements.
- Handle advances to staff members, ensuring that all cash disbursements are authorised, properly documented, and follow BBC Media Action procedures and protocols.
- Support the Finance Officer in reconciliation of advances, including ensuring that appropriate receipts/documentation accompany all reconciliations.
- Prepare creditor invoices for payment attaching appropriate supporting documentations and ensuring that they are complete, correct with all necessary signatures and authorisation, and follow BBC Media Action procedures and protocols.
- Make creditor payments, ensuring that all payments are authorised, are properly documented, and follow BBC Media Action procedures and protocols.
- Make bank withdrawals for the office upon proper authorisation and in line with BBC Media Action procedures and protocols.
- File hard copy documents daily and ensure that all documents are available for future audits.
- Assist the Finance Manager during audits.
- Assist the Finance Officer in preparing periodic cost reports.
- Make monthly tax returns to the Tax Office and ensure collection of tax receipts.
- Collect bank statements from banks when authorised.
- Report any anomalies in advances or expenses to the Finance Manager and the Country Director, and assist resolving issues as needed.
- Perform any other accounting and financial tasks as may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Basic accounting skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for mathematics and ability to analyse, compare and interpret facts and figures.
- Proficiency in Excel, Microsoft Word, and other relevant software, and the ability to master relevant financial software.
- Ability to communicate accounting and financial information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to maintain composure and remain friendly under intense pressure while working to meet tight deadlines.
- Any relevant tertiary education in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
- This position requires the highest commitment to integrity, transparency and adherence to BBC Media Action and donor financial procedures and protocols.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Decision making - Is ready and able to take the initiative, coordinate with others, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and organisation - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Managing relationships and team working - Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and persuading - Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Flexibility: Adapts to changing circumstances and displays a positive attitude to the process of change.
- Self-Awareness: Have an understanding of own strengths, limitations, emotions, etc and how it impacts on others.
- Motivation/Drive: Constantly seeks to do things better through setting more challenging goals. Is prepared to question the current way of doing things.
- Analytical Skills: Simplifies complex problems, processes or projects. Identifies casual relationships and constructs frameworks for problem-solving and/or development.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV's and Capability Statements to: email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated as subject of email.
Click here for more information
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Recent Jobs from BBC Media Action
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Head of Operations, Admin and HR at BBC Media Action
- Senior Research Officer at BBC Media Action
- Research Officer at BBC Media Action
- Digital Producer at BBC Media Action
- Assistant Digital Producer at BBC Media Action
- Assistant Research Officer at BBC Media Action
- Technical Producer at BBC Media Action
- Assistant Technical Producer at BBC Media Action
- Senior Digital Producer at BBC Media Action
- Assistant Producer - Factual at BBC Media Action
- IT Assistant at BBC Media Action
- Know More About BBC Media ActionSimilar Jobs
- Head, Financial and Regulatory Reporting at First Bank
- GF Finance & Compliance Lead at The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA)
- Finance Management Consultant at The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA)
- Internal Audit Manager at RoVedana
- Director, Internal Audit at Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- Account Officer at Technoton Limited
- Account Clerk at Nicole Sinclair Consulting
- Parking Cashier at Complete Parking Services (CPS) Limited