RTI lnternational is one of the world's leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI International is implementing a 5 year USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy, Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed at improving governance and service delivery at the local government level. We are looking for a State Manager to work in our Port Harcourt Office. This position is expected to perform a range of duties in support of USAID's local governance program in Rivers State. This position is open to residents of Nigeria only.
The State Manager will provide technical leadership, project management, and quality control of the result-oriented technical teams and crosscutting technical staff.
- The State Manager will be responsible for successfully performing the following duties, responsibilities, tasks and related activities.
- Work closely with the Chief of Party to understand and meet project needs and requirements.
- Develop and implement the management and leadership of the selected
- Champion Local Government areas (LGAs) in Rivers State. This will include the on-going review and assessment of government structure; actual powers and role of the councils; human capacity; relationships with citizens and the
- private sector; management capacities; types of services provided and citizen and private sector perception of service quality and coverage;
- Serve as lead advisor to the State Government's policy-making processes and procedures particularly with regard to budget management, local government affairs, and citizen's engagement in decision-making.
- Utilize LEAD's Local Government Development Framework (LGDF) guidelines to compile, maintain baseline data on, and document common local government functions including the following: strategic planning, project planning and
- implementation, institutional and personneldevelopment, LGA asset management, financial management, government service delivery systems, and citizen relations and community outreach program initiatives.
- Provide periodic reports both orally and in writing with timely and relevant information and analysis of key governance, community based strategic planning and engagement, social, and economic issues.
- Provide management and oversight of project technical teams and staff in their development and assurance of project deliverable quality control.
- Mentor and guide Rivers State project technical teams and participate meaningfully in meetings; assist with building relationships of trust, information gathering, and analysis.
- Work with project staff to identify Project Office technical assistance and training needs.
- Participate in assessing Nigerian partner organizations as requested or needed.
- Serve as the coordinator, contributor, and reviewer of preliminary and final reports and presentations to USAID and PIND including quarterly and annual reports to LEAD Program Management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must have attained the following educational achievements and possess the desired attributes, skills, and abilities:
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university in public administration, social welfare, or other related discipline, plus 12 years of relevant experience; or, a Master's Degree in the fields mentioned above, plus 9 years relevant experience.
- A minimum of Syears experience working with Local Governments and/or Civil
- Society preferably in South Delta region of Nigeria.
- Excellent report writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to work under pressure, in a team environment, and meet assignment deadlines on time.
Method of Application
To apply: Please email your cover letter and CV in reverse chronological order with position applied for as subject (including email and phone contact) to email@example.com no later than October 31't 2013. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.