The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Project Leader, Senior Soil Scientist.
IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of tropical nations. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit www.iita.org for more information on IITA.
- Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties
- Contribute to research activities/fieldwork relating to baseline studies, on-farm testing, monitoring and evaluation of livestock related technologies in mixed crop-livestock systems in Kano-Katsina-Maradi action transect.
- Assist in the data collection, processing and data analysis.
- Conduct literature search and review on dryland systems research particularly on options for intensification of crop-livestock systems and reducing vulnerability in dryland areas in Kano-Katsina-Maradi action transect.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of research activities related to intensification of crop-livestock systems and reducing vulnerability in dryland areas.
- Assist with the preparation and publication of research results/reports.
- Assist in organizing workshops, training or field work as required.
- Contribute to maintaining an appropriate communications with key stakeholders and partners in Kano-Katsina-Maradi action transect.
- Other research activities as required
Educational, Experience and Other Requirements
Education, experience and technical skills:
- MSc degree or equivalent qualifications and experience in animal science, natural resource management, ecology or environmental sciences.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience preferably in dryland areas of Nigeria and multidisciplinary working environment.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English. Ability to communicate in Hausa is also required.
- Strong computer skills in relevant office applications software packages (i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
- Strong statistical knowledge and practices.
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment;
- Ability to work in basic field conditions.
- Competency in personal organization and priority setting with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment and to be an effective team player;
- Creative, and flexible to respond to changing requirements
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
go to method of application »
- The Senior Soil Scientist will report to the DDG – Partnerships and Capacity Building and the R4D Director on Natural Resource Management.
- Oversee and support delivery of Soil Health Consortia in West Africa Program.
- Lead the engagement of IITA in various African and global soil-related forums.
- In cooperation with the Capacity Development Office:
- Organize and facilitate training workshops and stakeholder meetings.
- Provide guidance for planning and developing ISFM knowledge sharing activities and facilitate processes for engagement of stakeholders, learning and sharing of ISFM knowledge.
- Develop capacity of consortia members to collate, analyze and synthesize ISFM data and information and develop information and knowledge products of effective ISFM technologies.
- Support soil data collection and management.
- Facilitate national and regional alliances to enhance awareness, data collection and management, technical reporting, management and sharing of information and knowledge, and effective stakeholder participation.
- Supervise PhD and MSc students.
- Compile technical and financial reports related to above initiative.
- Engage in soil-related CRPs (WLE, CCAFS, Humidtropics) in which IITA is engaged.
- Publish soil-related review papers and contribute to dissemination of research results and development outcomes to stakeholders.
- Support resource mobilization on ISFM and maintain effective relationships with key donors and partners.
The candidate should have a PhD in soil science, tropical soil fertility management, or related fields from a highly recognized university.
- Strong knowledge and experience with tropical soil fertility management, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical tools and database management.
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles.
- Experience with facilitating national and/or partnership platforms related to agricultural intensification; proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments, and other development actors.
- Excellent skills in interacting with African and global soil-related forums.
- Experience with project activity implementation and monitoring.
- Excellent spoken and written English and French.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- At least 10 years of post-PhD experience.
Duty station: Ibadan, Nigeria, but will involve extensive travel to mainly West African countries and countries in Africa.
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications which must include covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Closing Date: 15 October 2013
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA website. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application
Closing Date: 16th October, 2013
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.