If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting a Programme Associate for her Humanitarian Hub in Maiduguri, Borno State.
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Duration of Initial Contract: One Year (Renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
- The Borno State Ministry of Health leads and cascades implementation of priority health programs and overall health system strengthening to address the prevailing public health challenges and improve the overall health of internally displaced persons in particular and Nigerians in general.
- The State Government of Borno in line with the National Strategic Health Development Plan and emphasis on increasing access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services and developing implementation plans for the National Health Act to massively expand access to primary healthcare services using the humanitarian response strategy.
- The approach will enable the Borno state health sector to make significant strides in improving SRH services to internally displaced person residing in camps and host communities through a multi-pronged strategy emphasizing improvements in: accountability in healthcare delivery, health infrastructure, human resources, supplies and commodities, information and service delivery systems.
- UNFPA Nigeria in line with the objectives of the 7th Country Program launched a scale up humanitarian response in 2014 geared towards provision of Sexual and Reproductive Health services to internally displaced persons and host communities in Borno State.
- Due to the evolving humanitarian response environment and transition from emergency to early recovery, the technical assistant will further support the State Ministry of Health in in-country resource mobilization strategy through the provision of GCCC from the state.
Under the overall supervision of the Humanitarian Coordinator, the main function of the Program Associate to the State Minister of Health is to be a focal point for:
- Technical support to Humanitarian Response Programming;
- Liaising with Borno State government for GCCC mobilization and
- Support the implementation of UNFPA country office programs.
The main task is to assist the state Ministry of Health to provide a robust and competent technical support to ensure implementation of quality reproductive, maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health including mental health and psychosocial (MHPSS) and clinical management of rape (CMR) in emergencies and development interventions.
More specifically, the Program Associate is expected to provide technical inputs as follows:
- Provide technical content for development of resource mobilization (especially GCCC).
- Provide leadership within the State Ministry of Health in strengthening UNFPA humanitarian response programming across levels of the health system in order to improve program performance.
- Facilitate effective partnership with stakeholders especially within the State Ministry of Health.
- Interface between various health departments and parastatals under State Ministry of Health including SPHCDA, State Medical Emergency, NACA, etc. engaged in humanitarian response program and provide regular country program follow up.
- Assist to organize and participate actively in meetings and desk reviews and undertake field needs assessments and monitoring missions such as quarterly review meetings to assess progress of implementation of UNFPA programs at State and LGAs level and provide administrative follow up.
- Support the secretariat of the State Ministry and ensure documentation of minutes and follow up on action points from meetings;
- Analyze progress in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools; identify constraints and resource deficiencies;
- Prepare regular reports on program progress according to monitoring framework, with additional deliverables as required;
- Support the office of the State Commissioner for Health to develop guidelines and SOPs on emerging issues and support LGAs to institutionalize such policies;
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA.
- Technical input in humanitarian response programming to the Office of the Commissioner for Health
- Programme Annual Plans, Monthly Plans, Quarterly plans are well-developed
- Progress reports are well-prepared and submitted to UNFPA and State government
- Humanitarian Response Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Management process and tools have been improved
- Knowledge Management capacities within the programme have been improved.
- Institutional capacity of Office of the Commissioner for Health has been improved.
- Values/Guiding Principles;
- Performance Management;
- Developing People/Coaching and Mentoring & Fostering Innovation and Empowerment;
- Working in Teams;
- Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making;
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking and Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence;
- Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning
- National and State leadership and advocacy for ICPD goals;
- Resource mobilization;
- Promoting organizational learning and knowledge sharing;
- Organizational awareness;
- Technical expertise for humanitarian response programming
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors degree in International Development, Public Administration, Management, Business Administration, Public Health and Medical Sciences.
- 6 years of progressively relevant experience in program implementation, monitoring and management
- Experience working with Government including high level advocacy and technical support for programming in health
- Familiarity with UNFPA/UN country operations and procedures an asset
- Excellent communication skills in English both written and verbal, including excellent drafting skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Population Fund - UNFPA career website on jobs.undp.org to apply