Oxfam is an international non-profit organization committed to ridding the world of poverty. We have a conviction that once given the chance to do so, people are well capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own. To do this, we work with local organizations, build their capacity and provide strategic funding to local projects in developing countries. We also lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people and campaign to involve men and women also in our work.
We are recruiting for the position below:
Oxfam Novib (ONL) and Oxfam GB (OGB) are currently the two Oxfam affiliates working in Nigeria and the work focuses on:
- Economic justice and improving livelihoods.
- Gender justice and female leadership.
- Good governance and the Niger Delta.
- Disaster risk reduction and responding to humanitarian crises.
Central to our work is the belief that power relations need to change to enable poor people to demand and claim their rights. Oxfam's vision for Nigeria includes a transparent and accountable government, active citizens, and private sector that works toward shared growth that is equitable to meet the needs of the people, especially the vulnerable poor. To this achieve this we work with a wide variety of partner and allies, such as community organizations and regional groups at the local, state and national levels.
Job Purpose/Scope of Work
- The position reports to Country Director where the job pattern is business driven covers interlinked areas and problem solving with focussed solutions in HR operations.
- Lead the HR Unit in providing both strategic and technical support on the full range of human capital and employment issues, interpreting Oxfam Nigeria strategic plan, contributing to the effective implementation of HR yearly plan in line with policies, procedures and best practices, including learning and development to enhance organisation’s performance through its employees.
- Ultimately ensures Oxfam in Nigeria attracts, motivates and retains the best talents/skills to enable the delivery of the Country Strategy.
- Assist the Country Director and senior management team in the process of developing and implementing the HR policies, employment procedures and best practices in line with organizational objectives and Nigerian Labour Law.
- Comply with all relevant Oxfam global and in-country regulations and provide support to managers and team leaders on the interpretation and implementation of organisation’s policies and procedures with respect to anti-discrimination and gender sensitivity, code of conduct and other relevant policies.
- Coordinate the facilitation of processing HR procedures including such as recruitment, learning and development, compensation and benefit, annual salary review, employee-relation issues, job evaluation, HR information system and other relevant activities to increase the performance of staff and Oxfam Nigeria as a whole.
- Assist line managers and team leaders in their supervision and managerial roles in building self-learning ability of staff for the achievement of their individual objectives under performance management system.
- Develop, coordinate and monitor the implementation of staff development plan, succession plan that identifies and fosters the next generation of leaders through mentoring, training and stretch assignments in accordance with required competencies of the job as agreed in the staff performance appraisal.
- Provide technical support to field offices on HR related issues by acting as the first point of contact for all queries and delivering practical assistance and advice to staff in all areas where Oxfam Nigeria operates.
- Contribute to strengthen the coordination and collaboration within teams and across all teams, maintain constructive communications, building positive drive to the whole organisation promoting conducive working environment.
- Develop comprehensive induction programme for all new staff and liaise with relevant line managers to ensure its implementation ensuring the objectives are achieved and feedback is obtained.
- Under the direction of Country Director and in coordination with members of senior management team, the HR Coordinator is responsible for developing a comprehensive HR Strategy for Oxfam in Nigeria as well as HR planning, budgeting, timely reporting on HR updates monthly and annually and contributes to the development of HR components of donor reports and other necessary written communications.
- Lead and motivate the team in HR unit through effective coaching and ensure each member has clear objectives and receive constructive feedback on their performance.
- Improve the flow of HR information systems to ensure co-ordination between relevant bodies through suggestions, recommendation to improve current system and procedure.
- Provide high levels of commitment to Oxfam as a worldwide development organisation in mobilising the power of people against poverty where the objectives of HR function in the organisations are achieved.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor Degree in HR Management, or other relevant areas with comparable level of significant experience in managing HR department.
- Masters Degree or HR management professional certification will be a plus.
- More than 3 years of experience working as HR Manager in international NGOs, or minimum 5 years of experience working at managerial level in large-scale commercial organisations.
- Proven records in developing and implementing strategic HR tools and concepts and strong experience in change management with ability to build HR capacities of managers and team leaders particularly during the change process;
- Strong capability in developing and defining sense of direction (in an often turbulent environment) to maintain a long-term sustainability of system to achieve a coherent implementation of HR policies and programme;
- Higher literacy in data analysis and different performance measurement system, including designing scheme of staff compensation and benefit, budgeting and staffing plan with adequate knowledge of finance and statistical skills.
- Strong management skills; analytical, judgement and decision making coupled with professional credibility required to influence and motivate others to achieve results
- Highly developed communication skills both written and verbal in order to establish effective relationships with internal and external audiences;
- Ability to work effectively as a member of the team, provide advice and train on human resources issues and act as an agent of change;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong influencing skills at senior levels to influence acceptance of new ways of working;
- Strong IT skills and highly conversant with the use of Word documents, Excel spreadsheets (including pivot tables and charts) and PowerPoint;
- Fluency of English both written and spoken is a must;
- This is a national position where salary and benefits will be according to the policy determined by Oxfam Nigeria for national staff.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a motivational letter and CV in one file (maximum 4 pages) in English and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Recruiter.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale