Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
The End Fund:
The End Fund project is a 3 year grant starting from 2016 to 2018 to support the integrated implementation of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) in Akwa Ibom and Adamawa states.
Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are a group of parasitic and bacterial infectious diseases that affect over 1.6 billion of the world’s most impoverished people, including 875 million children. They cause severe pain, long-term disability, and are the cause of death for over 500,000 people per year. Amongst children, infection leads to malnutrition, cognitive impairment, stunted growth, and the inability to attend school. Adults suffer from social isolation and are unable to work, and anemia caused by NTDs increases the risk of maternal mortality.
Since 1999, HKI has supported programs in the area of neglected tropical disease control, nutrition and eye health.
- Secondary Education; valid Driver’s license
- 1-2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative Coordinator, the Drivers in both states provide reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Drivers demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- The Drivers provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in HKI, both in Adamawa state and Akwa Ibom state offices, depending on where the Driver Katsina office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The drivers will provide technical support and:
1. Ensure provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
a) Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel within and outside Adamawa and Akwa Ibom states.
b) Delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and
c) Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport
2. Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
3. Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts
5. Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
6. Prompt completion of log books.
7. Sorting and distribution of mail as required;
8. Perform minor office moves which will include moving pieces of office furniture and PCs. Etc as and when required
9. The vehicle is garaged overnight in the official car park and the keys are secure;
10. All necessary reports are completed in connection with any accident and the driver must report this situation to the supervisor immediately
go to method of application »
- Minimum of HND or BSc in Accounting, Banking and Finance or Business Admin; or any Finance related course.
- Minimum of 3 years experience.
- The Finance Assistants in both Adamawa and Akwa Ibom States will assist in the day to day carrying out of all financial operations under the supervision of the Finance and Admin Manager and the Finance Officer.
- Administration of office petty cash including vouchers and checks and ensures funds spent are adequately justified;
- Writes checks, check confirmations and deposits at the bank;
- Maintenance of a proper filing system for all records and updating soft and hard copied data base information for the office;
- Assist in posting transactions into the office accounts software;
- Support any finance functions assigned by the Finance and Admin Manager and the Finance Officer.
The Finance and Admin Assistant shall also carry out the following specific tasks:
- Enter data into financial accounting software on daily basis.
- Ensure Core Costs are correctly entered in the
- Deal with retirement of advances, in particular:
- Verify/ check calculation on receipts;
- Verify/ assign accounting codes;
- Assign sequential reference to each transaction for cross checking in the Accounting systems and receipts;
- Enter financial transactions daily in the Accounting system;
- Verify and file receipts and other work papers;
- Check the accounting records for accuracy and correct as necessary;
- Assist in maintaining files and updating finance records.
- Assist the administration in the preparation of office running budget.
- Collaborate with the Finance Officer, Finance and Admin Manager and Program Manager to create the budgets new projects.
- Assist in country audit as needed.
- Work in collaboration with Procurement Officer
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Finance Manager or Finance Officer.
- Administrative functions
- Planning, scheduling and coordinate meetings, appointments and travel arrangements for technical staff(s)
- Assisting the technical staff(s) in conferences, meetings and trainings.
- Initiate travel request and prepare travel claims for technical staff(s)
- Regular interaction with all the staff on administrative matters
- Maintain office files and documents; both electronic and hard copy filing system
- Ensuring employee’s safety in the office in conjunction with the AC
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements
- Calling for repairs of equipment and vehicles when required
- Maintaining Fixed assets /other inventories;
- Evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies; and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Writing and dispatching of letters
- Answering general queries by telephone
- Sorting and opening post
- Obtaining information from the computer
- Provide general administrative and clerical support
- Assist in resolving any administrative problems finding best solutions to overcome any hurdles in the organization.
- Undertaking any other tasks/duties as may be reasonably required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Proper maintenance of financial and office records and correspondences;
- Timely preparation and submission of expense claims, reports and documents;
- Accurate review of request and claims before processing of payments by finance department;
- Proper maintenance of office supplies inventory
- Proper maintenance of filling systems
- Maintaining equipment/vehicles in good working conditions
- Effective coordination of event logistics
- Competencies Required:
- Ability to post figures into financial software packages such as QuickBooks;
- Ability to use computer packages such as Microsoft office, the Internet and office equipment such as printers, photocopiers, scanners and so on;
- Ability to work under pressure and able to meet up deadlines;
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and must be a good team player;
- Able to work comfortably with numbers.
go to method of application »
- A first degree in biological sciences or similar field; medicine or health related field. A Master degree in public health or a related degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in public health.
- Under the supervision of the NTD Program Manager, the program assistants oversees the formulation, execution, monitoring and evaluation of the End Fund Integrated Control of NTDs in Akwa Ibom and Adamawa states respectively to ensure consistency with the project priorities and outcomes.
Reports directly to: NTD Program Manager
Specific duties include:
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of a detailed annual work-plan which identifies and sequences activities needed to successfully implement the project in the most cost-effective manner and ensure project objectives are met in line with national policies, HKI’s goals and that of the donor.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, facilitate the development and roll out of implementation plans to scale mass distribution of drugs to treat the four PCT diseases, namely lymphatic filariasis, trachoma, schistosomiasis and soil transmitted helminthes.
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise and regularly review the schedule as required.
- In collaboration with the Program Manager ensure HKI program partners execute the project according to their respective project plans;
- Document project activities and ensure that all project information is appropriately secured;
- Monitor the progress of the project implementation and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the project remains on track and is successfully completed;
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project;
- Retire project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
Program Monitoring & Evaluation
- To implement and/or develop Monitoring and Evaluation tools according HKI, FMOH and donor standards;
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of international standards as set by FMOH, HKI and donor.
- Internally and when requested support external evaluations on the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase and as required.
- Disseminate findings from evaluations to support organizational learning and contribute to policy processing or development;
Advocacy and Strategic Alliances
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with both government and key project stakeholders at all levels in order to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility;
- Represent HKI towards local partners and at other appropriate forums;
- Carry out additional tasks, as requested by the Project Manager and other senior officer(s) within the NTD Unit.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines.
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
Method of Application
All applicants should submit electronically forwarding the following under listed to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A curriculum vitae, which should indicate at minimum applicant’s qualification and dates obtained; previous work experience and dates; age and referees
2. A covering letter
Please note that subject of email should be DRIVER/ENDFUND-ADAMAWA STATE OR DRIVER/ENDFUND -AKWA-IBOM STATE depending of the applicant’s choice of location.
Deadline for submission of application is on Monday, 28th December 2015.
Kindly note that:
Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered.
Only applications submitted electronically shall be considered.