Arik Air is now Nigeria’s leading commercial airline. People choose to work here for many reasons. There is the excitement of being a part of a vibrant, international and expanding airline community. We also offer the opportunity to travel and this incentive motivates prospective employees who want to join the Arik team and work for the “Wings of Nigeria”.
Arik Air is a customer-focused airline that offers consistently outstanding services to both business and leisure travellers. We have earned a reputation for providing "the best care in the air". Industry experts have awarded us for delivering outstanding services. ‘No airline does it in the unique Arik way’.
The purpose of this job is principally to provide legal advice and support to all Departments of the Company on a wide variety of corporate, commercial and aviation law related matters. The job holder is required to advice the Management in order to safeguard the interest of Arik Air and to ensure that the rules and procedures of the Company are followed in all aspects of it activities, be it in procurement, HR, airline operations or corporate matters. The post holder will have an overriding responsibility to ensure that Arik Air does not commit to any unfavorable obligations by providing legal advice and monitoring and controlling legal advice obtained from outside counsel. The job holder has to ensure the well-being of Arik Air through compliance with national and international practices and needs to be able to represent and assert the Company’s position and requirements.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and draft constitutive instrument of Arik Air and its subsidiaries as well as the internal regulations.
- Organise and prepare agendas, as well as take minutes of board meetings and annual general meetings (AGMs);
- Revise Contracts submitted to Arik Air for signature to ensure that they are legally acceptable and favourable to Arik Air.
- Ensure that the Legal Department appropriately handles registering of Arik Air Offices Overseas, once the approvals are received and look into the Labour Laws, Employment Contracts etc.
- Prepare Contracts, Letter and Legal Documents for submission by Arik Air to other Parties.
- Liaise between Arik Air and outside Lawyers at the Arik Air Corporate Office and outstations on all related legal matters including settlement of claims, litigation to defend legal actions on behalf of Arik Air and performing other legal work.
- Undertake mission for consultation with outside bodes, international Organizations or Governmental Authorities.
- Deal and liaise with other Department on such other legal matters such as: Aviation liabilities and limits of insurance; Conditions of Carriage and their Updating Indemnity provisions to which Arik Air's insurers have to be notified and agreed; Advises on questions of taxation in the various outstations to which Arik Air Operates its services or has established offices.
- Drafting and review of Specialized Airline related contracts such as Aircraft Purchase Agreements, Aircraft Finance Agreements, Aircraft Wet Lease Agreements, Maintenance Contracts, Engineering Contracts.
- A graduate of Law or related field.
- Masters in Law (Desirable)
- Membership of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (preferred).
- Ability to take ownership of the role and work with minimum supervision.
- Must be keen to innovate and be successful at formulating and implementing strategies and plans.
- Previous board-level experience.
- Sound, effective and enthusiastic communicator.
- Previous experience as a company or board secretary would be an advantage
- Previous experience in the aviation industry will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years work experience, preferably in the Aviation Industry of which at least 5 years must have been in heading the Legal Affairs.
- Should have received specialized training in Aviation Law, Airline Contract Law, Aircraft Financing, Conflict of Law, Contract Negotiations, International Law and Legal Drafting.
- Leadership qualities
- Interpersonal communication abilities
- Influence and negotiation capabilities
- Problem solving & quick decision making ability
- Attention to detail and quality
- Multi tasking and long hours of work
- Good knowledge of Nigeria and International laws relating to Aviation.
- Must be service oriented, commercially aware with the aviation industry and related areas.
- Ability to keep confidentiality in respect of all matters handled.
- Internal Communications: The Board and Senior Management and all Company Departments
- External Communications: Law Firms, Third Parties, Government and International Bodies, Financial Institutions, Insurance Institutions, Aircraft, Engine and Equipment Manufacturers Airline Regulatory Bodies etc.
go to method of application »
The Vice President (VP), Finance is a key leadership and executive position within the organization. We are seeking a person, who is a great problem-solver and can add value to the Finance team. Additionally, this role will provide regular financial reporting to the executive team, responsible for keeping Vendor and Tax accounts up to date. This will be a “hands-on”, high-profile role with an opportunity to make a significant impact on a rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate will have exceptional analytical skills, a solid understanding of accounting principles and the aviation industry.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the general ledger and prepare monthly financial statements and forecasts.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly management reports.
- Monitor actual financial results vs. budget, highlighting key variances for management.
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures and improve our internal controls.
- Manage annual audit including writing financial statements and accompanying notes.
- Manage inter-company reporting and consolidation of accounts between them.
- Develop, recommend, implement, monitor, apply, coordinate, and manage the policies and procedures to govern the accounting and reporting for subsidiaries of the company (domestic and international).
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the Board.
- Enhance internal controls by ensuring that processes are in place to safeguard cash.
- Support the SVP of Finance in overseeing the accounting department and audit functions.
- Review reports to analyze projections of sales and profit against actual figures, budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggests methods of improving the planning process as appropriate.
- Analyze company operations to pinpoint opportunities and areas that need to be reorganized, down-sized, or eliminated.
- In conjunction with others, study long-range economic trends and project company prospects for future growth in overall sales and market share, opportunities for acquisitions or expansion into new disciplines.
- Estimate requirements for capital.
- Support the SVP-Finance in supervising accounts payable and receivable.
- Ensure that all personnel that need to use the Company’s MIS software are properly trained to use it and have access to their reports.
- Keep the company’s business licenses compliant in all jurisdictions in which it does business.
- Ensure that the company files timely and accurate tax returns (federal, state, county, city, sales tax, etc.)
- Prepare policies and procedures, as needed, with regard to audits by various taxing agencies, clients, internal, etc.
- Assist company legal staff in the defense of litigation through periodic meetings.
- Maintain all project, discipline, and company-wide financial planning systems, and reporting.
- Responsible for the company payrolls.
- Participate in the selection of company-provided employee benefits.
- Assist senior Management with selection of locations for office leases and participates in the financial negotiations for same. Also responsible for tracking lease notice and expiration dates.
- Train/assign training for accounting staff, who are responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Monitor performance of the accounting department. Provide prompt and objective coaching and counseling.
- Responsible for financial planning and the development of budgets.
- Maintain knowledge of activities and plans of operating and administration divisions.
- Other tasks as required by management
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) desirable. Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of combined accounting and finance including at least 10 years of experience with planning, compliance and reporting activities associated with a publicly-held company. Experience working with a multinational corporation is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of IFRS
- Must be located in Lagos with a minimum 25% to travel among different office locations as required.
- Demonstrate management and financial skills in dealing with all phases of business operations.
- Leadership and communications skills to supervise and mentor accounting, and other company staff.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications and SAGE ERP other ERP software comparable to Oracle, etc.
- Must be able to exercise a keen awareness of the legal implications of disclosing material company information; ongoing awareness of trends in senior Management's thinking; ongoing familiarity with both industry and company activities; and an ongoing knowledge of stock market and financial trends.
- Excellent financial and business judgment skills; business acumen and ability to provide financial and business advice to all levels of Management and the Company’s Board.
- Motivated to work in a fast-paced environment, to move things forward, to meet stringent timelines, and to handle multiple demands simultaneously.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people with varying degrees of financial exposure. Understanding and articulation of the Company's financial position and strategic activities is essential.
- Independent and creative problem solving skills are required.
- Ideal candidate will also have broad-based financial background, including experience with financial planning and analysis, forecasting and budgeting.
- Fluency in English (written and oral).
- Reporting directly to SVP-Finance; the VP will also have to work with the GM-Finance in London on a day-to-day basis. Will also have to work with the Executive Management and direct reports such as Managers, Supervisors and Account Officers in the Finance Department.
- Federal, State and Local Tax and Regulatory authorities such as FIRS, NCAA, FAAN.
go to method of application »
To establish, direct and manage the activities of the Corporate Audit Department while bearing ultimate responsibility for providing assurance to the Board Audit Committee over the financial and operational integrity of internal controls within Company. This includes identifying opportunities to enhance shareholder value through providing recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of procedures within the business. The Corporate Audit Department is an independent and objective business consulting function that will help the Company achieve its objectives by adopting a robust systematic and objective approach towards risk management and the governance process.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct the overall operations of the Internal Audit department on behalf of the Board Audit Committee and the Management.
- Evaluate and provide reasonable assurance that risk management controls are functioning.
- Ensure efficient and effective performance as well as monitor adherence of internal controls companywide.
- Evaluate and mitigate for all recognized corporate risks and advise management.
- Ensure projects are prioritized based on risk and exposure and assist with project appraisals.
- Create an effective and strategic direction roadmap which covers the values, mission, and objectives of Internal Audit now and in the future.
- Ensure adequate corporate governance exists to provide transparency in business practices.
- Establish quality control programmes over Internal Audit activities, and ensure departmental processes, methodologies and work flows are effective companywide (including project planning, resource management, file review, reporting, and follow up).
- Embed minimum acceptable standards and control frameworks which meet Arik’s Internal Audit objectives.
- Ensure that Internal Audit staffs develop skills and knowledge which provide maximum value for the business, and which are relevant for career advancement.
- Conduct ad-hoc special projects as requested by the Board of Directors, Audit Committee or the CEO.
- Maintain the independence and objectivity required by internal audit functions.
- Work with Business owners to provide independent strategic support to add value and help them achieve their functional, departmental and corporate goals.
Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related discipline
- MBA or other post-graduate degree is desirable
- Professional accounting qualification (e.g. ACCA/CA/ACA) specialized in auditing, financial analysis, and business process
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience at a senior level in auditing and/or accounting functions within aviation or a Big 4 environment
- Corporate governance and SOX
- Modern internal audit best practice
- Risk-based audit techniques
- Control self-assessment methodology
- Computer assisted audit techniques
- Airline revenue process
- Fraud prevention, exposures and detection
- Aviation supply chain
- Computer literacy (all MS Office programmes)
- Audit Committee
- Internal Audit Team
- External Auditors
- Outsourcing Consultants
Method of Application
Send application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or use links below to apply: