We are a leading business management consulting practice serving clients across Africa. We work in all major sectors of the economy and levels of government engaging highly trained and sector-experienced consultants. PCL is a wholly owned Nigerian firm with offices in Lagos, Abuja and Johannesburg. Established in 1992, we offer an array of business and management consulting services to government and corporate organizations.
- Apply best practice accounting principles to create an appropriate system for general accounting procedures.
- Prepare monthly and annual budgetary forecasts
- Draw up monthly financial report.
- Provide sound financial advice to MD and management.
- Prepare final accounts for board presentation and management review; including income and expense report.
- Provide audit support for the establishment and settlement of contracts, purchase orders, vouchers, etc.
- Establish and implement sound financial and accounting control procedures.
- Direct and coordinate activities of other account staff to achieve departmental goals.
- Liaise with, ensure compliance with relevant regulatory and statutory bodies for the purpose of taxation, levies, duties, etc.
- Manage all banking relationships with supervision from the MD.
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- OND, HND/Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- Relevant airline accounting training.
- ACA, ACCA or any other accounting certification.
- Familiarity with International Financial Reporting System (IFRS) as it applies to the travel sector.
- Able to work with at least one accounting package for small business.
Work Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of three years experience managing the accounting function of a mid-sized travel agency.
- Excellent proficiency with office applications, especially MS excel.
- Demonstrate sound accounting knowledge, financial analysis and reporting skills.
- Familiarity with travel codes, airline routing and other requirements for business and tourist passengers will be desirable.
- Develop and implement the internal audit strategy, policies, procedures and annual audit plan; identify priorities and resource requirements for the year in line with strategic goals of the company.
- Plan and lead financial, regulatory, compliance and operational audits, covering branch operations across Nigeria.
- Develop action plans to address gaps and emerging issues; provide recommendation and proffer solutions.
- Monitor implementation of recommendations proposed by Internal Audit and the External Auditor to ensure issues are adequately addressed.
- Conduct risk assessment; recommend and deploy mitigating strategies
- Coordinate internal audit activities with those of the External Auditor to ensure proper audit coverage, eliminate duplication of efforts and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of audit activities.
- Maintain audit files and records including audit procedures and reports; document the result of audit work in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) standards.
- Support year-end financial audit by the External Auditor.
- Present annual audit plan to the Audit Committee including periodic status updates.
- Prepare timely audit reports for the Board of Directors, Audit Committee and executive management.
- Report on audit/internal control findings to the Audit Committee periodically.
- Review and ensure reports of all audits, investigations and special assignment are in line with best practice.
- Communicate management responses on audit findings and corrective actions to various departments.
Compliance and Control:
- Monitor and ensure compliance with corporate policies, standard operating procedures, statutory and regulatory requirements across the Group.
- Review new and existing products, services and procedures to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Develop and implement effective control systems.
- Assess internal controls within the system and make appropriate recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Take appropriate actions to close or mitigate control deficiencies identified.
- Promote compliance with internal policies.
- Coordinate with Risk Management, Legal and Compliance on other control related activities.
- Keep abreast of developments in good corporate governance practices and advise management accordingly
- Oversee the execution of other tasks or special projects as required by management including reviews of systems, due diligence reviews, fraud investigation, etc
- Collaborate with executive management and business managers to identify and manage risks
Team Leadership and Management:
- Provide leadership for the Internal Audit function; manage the Audit team and its activities.
- Facilitate development; manage performance; coach and mentor
- Foster a culture of constant improvement and progress.
- First degree; minimum of second class lower division.
- Professional Accounting qualification.
- Professional Audit qualification would be added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Accounting and Audit principles, practices, procedures, legislation and regulations; sound knowledge of IIA standards with compliance capability.
- Sound knowledge of financial services operations and risk-based auditing.
- Internal Control.
- Risk Management.
- Corporate Governance.
- Stakeholder Relationship Management.
- Analytical and critical thinking.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Conflict Management.
- Managerial and leadership skills.
- Proficient use of MS Office suite.
- Minimum of ten years experience in forensic accounting and internal/external audit.
- Experience managing internal audits, supervising a team of internal and external auditors, supporting executive management, and reporting to Audit and other Board Committees.
- Big 4 experience is desired.