If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the following position in Abuja:
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the International Operations Manager, the Finance/Admin Associate provides functional leadership in Finance and ensures effective functioning of financial operations and systems in support of the Programme and office management. S/he supervises Finance Assistants in the Country Office and is expected to provide guidance to the finance Associates in the sub-offices.
S/he delivers quality services in Financial Management to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures. She takes a client-oriented results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines in service of the country Programme, providing support and guidance to the Country Office and UNFPA supported projects. S/he works closely with Programme and Project staff providing financial monitoring and analysis of projects and advising managers on expenditure trends and implementation rates.
The Admin & Finance Associate is expected to maintain collaborative relationships with all technical staff (Programme Officers and project staff) as well as government counterparts.
- Supports the monitoring of Programme financial performance for all core and non-core resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators/results. Detects potential over-under expenditure problems and works with programme staff and output managers to ensure that these are addressed.
- Develops tools and mechanisms for effective monitoring of Programme and project budgets, coordinates compilation of financial data and provides accurate and up-dated financial information to HQ on a continuous basis.
- Integrates financial policies and procedures particularly relating to NEX and provides guidance and training to staff and project managers. Strives to identify ways in which Programme financial needs can be met within existing policies.
- Monitors the Institutional Budget and ensures financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures.
- Ensures the effective financial recording and reporting system, internal control and audit follow-up and processes financial transactions in and accurate and timely way. Proposes procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency and responds to audit issues.
- In consultation with the International Operations Manager,, Deputy Representative, and Unit Heads, follows up on Funding Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures (FACE) and ensure that FACEs are received timely from IP’s and recorded.
- Monitors the dashboard to ensure that any items requiring corrections are worked on on a timely basis and serves as the focal point for completion of integrated accountability checklist.
- Provide logistical and technical support to the Programme implementation to the Implementing partners in the areas of Programme Financial Management.
- Reviews and monitors charges for common services and cost recovery taking into account maximum cost efficiency and represents UNFPA’s interest in related negotiations and agreements.
- Assists in the formulation of Programme/project budget in determining expenditure levels
- Provide support and reviews to quality services in administration, procurement, communication and management of office equipment and infrastructure to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures
- Establishes and maintains contact with counterparts in Government for compliance with guidelines in the submission of financial reports as well as counterparts in the UNDP on Atlas framework.
- Coordinate the Conduct of NEX audits and facilitate the development and implementation of follow-up actions.
- Undertake any other assignments as may be required by the Representative, Deputy Representative and the International Operations Manager.
- Valuing diversity
- Performance management
- Developing people/fostering innovation and empowerment
- Working in Teams
- Communicating information and ideas/knowledge sharing
- Integrity/commitment to mandate
- Appropriate and transparent decision making
- Results orientation and commitment to excellence
- Self-management/emotional intelligence and conflict management/negotiating and resolving disagreements
- Business Acumen
- Implementing management systems
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Client orientation
- Organizational awareness
- Job knowledge/technical expertise
Required Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate should:
- Be a Nigerian National, (Male or Female)
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma in Accounting/Finance, Business Administration or related field. Full accounting qualifications such as completed ACCA, CPA will also be accepted.
- Have a minimum of 7 years’ experience preferably in programme/project finance management in the public or private sector including at least 4 years in the same functional area. Familiarity with UN Operational Rules and Regulations; direct working experience in applying and handling UN Operational rules and regulations and familiarity with ATLAS will be an asset.
- Be Fluent in oral and written English;
- Be proficient in current MS Office software applications and other accounting package is essential.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here