Reports to: State Coordinator
Project Activity: Risk Communication (COVID & GHSA)
Location: Bauchi, Sokoto and Kebbi
Duration: 1 year – extension contingent on funding.
Breakthrough ACTION is a five-year cooperative agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead their social behavior change (SBC) programming around the world. Breakthrough ACTION is a partnership led by the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs (CCP) in collaboration with Save the Children, ThinkPlace, ideas42, Camber Collective, International Center for Research on Women, and Viamo.
In Nigeria, Breakthrough ACTION (Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria) focuses its efforts on SBC for malaria; maternal, newborn, and child health, including nutrition (MNCHN); family planning/reproductive health; TB; priority zoonotic diseases; and the COVID-19 response. In addition, Breakthrough ACTION supports the capacity strengthening of key stakeholders to design, implement, and evaluate SBC activities.
With recently awarded funding from USAID, BA-Nigeria is recruiting positions to lead and implement Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE), Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA), and COVID-19 activities.
This position will provide technical support to the planning, implementation, and monitoring of COVID & GHSA work streams at the state level. He/she will be responsible for maintaining strong relationships and coordination with key partners and organizations leading COVID response and global health security activities in the state.
- Collaborate with State Coordinator to provide state-level project leadership for the BA-Nigeria risk communication and community engagement activities in the state including partnership management, stakeholder’s engagement, and overall coordination of COVID and GHSA work streams;
- Collaborate with the State Primary Health Care Development Agency/Board and the State Agency for the Control of AIDS, State Ministry of Agriculture, State Ministry of Environment, and its partners to implement COVID-19 and GHSA work plans at the different levels;
- Provide support to State Social Mobilization Committee, Emergency Operations Centre, Multisectoral Coordination structures, CRICC, state-level partners, and other stakeholders (at local government and ward levels) to coordinate and implement RCCE activities for COVID and GHSA;
- Provide SBC support and capacity building at the state level for diverse stakeholders;
- Work together with the State M&E Officer in the coordination and monitoring of activity across all intervention areas;
- Document the implementation process, success stories and provide key highlights including lessons learned on a monthly basis and submit the same to the RCCE Program Manager;
- Represent Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria at stakeholder meetings and similar partner forums as required;
- Other duties as identified and assigned by supervisor and/or Abuja country office program leads.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Qualification & Skills
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in social/health sciences or related discipline is required. An advanced degree is desirable.
- 5-7 years of previous experience working in any health program area is required. Experience of working on USAID or US-CDC funded projects an advantage.
- Proven experience working with varied stakeholders especially ministries, departments, and agencies in a multisectoral approach developing and implementing policies is desirable.
- Excellent communication, and organizational skills; and ability to influence and facilitate advocacy agendas at LGA and State level
- Understanding of local communities and cultures in the state of assignment, and ability to communicate fluently in the commonly spoken local language.
- Excellent technical writing and oral presentation skills are highly desired.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Working Knowledge of MS Office Packages and database software and applications.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria and work successfully within a cross-cultural, multi-sectoral, multi-project team-based environment.